Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2003 1:15:15 PM EDT
I am shocked to be notified by the BATF that the Indiana State Police has notified the BATF that they will no longer comply completely with the Brady Law. This decision can only cause delays for Indiana's law abiding citizens that have legally obtained a license to carry a handgun by forcing them to have a NICS check performed for any firearms purchase. I am also afraid that this wreckless decision will cause other states to not recognise Indiana carry permits.

Why would the Indiana State Police and the State of Indiana make a decision to "inform the ATF that although they will continue to conduct NICS checks on all applicants for license to carry handguns, effective October 1, 2003, the ISP only will apply state law in determining if a license should be denied. Accordingly, licenses may be issued to persons prohibited from posessing firearms under Federal law." This has to be one of the most dissapointing decisions I have heard of.

Please contact any and all Indiana state officials and urge them to overturn this bad decision.

Link Posted: 9/8/2003 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, for one thing, currently the county may deny your application, but the ISP can grant it, thus over ridding the county decision to reject your application.

Perhaps making this a policy would help to prevent in the future a county or city from hijacking state law and making their own.  I kind of like the idea of taking local politics out of granting a CCW.  There should be state wide standards on this in every state.

No, I do not want to lose my ability to carry in other states, but then again I do not want to lose my ability to carry in my home town either.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I bet they're giving a big Fuck You to the Lautenberg thing.

That would be my guess.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sitting here with my tin foil hat on watching the black helocopter circle wondering if Ashcroft is still, illegally, keeping NICS information?

Link Posted: 9/8/2003 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like I'll be buying a couple of Christmas presents early this year!
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:28:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Even if they stop doing NICS checks, licenses issued before 10/1 were issued with NICS checks, so dealers should take them as such. Right?

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:33:25 AM EDT
[#6]
NOt trying to hijack your Hometown board, but here is some info I got from our last ATF check at the shop. If your CCW permit is good for more than a year, ATF is requiring NICS checks.
I know PA's permit is good for 5 years, so they now have to have NICS on every purchase.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is the letter.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:16:04 AM EDT
[#9]
We hope your transition to these new procedures will not be an inconvenience? Are you serious?

What idiots.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:17:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Please contact any and all Indiana state officials and urge them to overturn this bad decision.

It looks like this is an ISP decision. What state officials would have the power to override it?

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#11]

It looks like this is an ISP decision. What state officials would have the power to override it?

The acting Governor's office and the State Police?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 2:28:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The acting Governor's office and the State Police?

Not likely to get support from the lt. gov. Maybe the ISP, but they're the ones that made the decision in the first place.

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like they are going to now use the CCL and NIC to sort thru the sheeple and maybe find some possible terrorists in the process. Just another way to try to track some people down that like to keep a lower than usual profile,etc...
Or I could be wrong as usual[sigh]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Hey, that makes sense - now they'll find all of those terrorists running around IN with CCWs!
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I personally think this is some type of Anti Gun Show Law, without of course being labeled as such.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Seth:

Problem is, it's not a LAW at all... it's a decision by ISP that is causing the existing law to be applied differently.

But yes, it will deal a major blow to firearm sales at gun shows. But I doubt the 1500 will suffer much, as most of the sales there seem to be ammo, accessories, surgical tools, jerky and beanie babies. :-(

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I personally think this is some type of Anti Gun Show Law, without of course being labeled as such.

If the FBI NICS is operating 7 days a week, can't the FFL's just call the NICS from the show on their cell phones?

Luckily Beanie Babies are still exempt, FOR NOW!
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#19]
No.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Zoub:

Yes, the dealers at the show can call in NICS checks on the cell phones. There will be problems, though, due to the massive increase in volume (*every* gun sale now goes thru NICS)... there WILL be periods of no service, and lots of delays due to understaffing at the FBI. We see it at my shop now... it's only gonna get worse with the new regs in place. Not to mention all the extra time dealers are going to have to spend on the phone, rather than with customers making sales. It's lost revenue, plain and simple.

But the people who are *really* gonna get screwed are those who want to buy a handgun w/o a permit. They have to be called in to both NICS and the State, and get "proceeds" from BOTH before the gun can be released. And the State Police aren't going to do checks on weekends anymore, or so I'm told... so all those sales go right out the window at a gun show.

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#21]
That's great.  Plus the whole thing looks like a cost cutting measure to me, but it sounds like Seth is right too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top