Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2003 8:58:18 AM EDT
I just want to know about the things I might not be expecting, being from a different part of the country. I already know about the humidity, that's an easy one, I've spent the last two summers there. From what I've seen, the winters don't look bad. I'm going to move most likely to Santa Claus, or somewhere between there and Evansville (Spencer, Warrick, Vanderberg counties). Are there any things I may not know about the area? You know, the stuff they leave out of the tourist manuals.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not really sure what you mean but here are some:
Good hunting and fishing areas
Pretty "gun-friendly" environment
Mostly European-American population in the areas you're talking about with some African-Americans in the Evansville area and some Hispanic-Americans all around the area
(I don't like hyphenated Americans but I'm trying not to offend anyone)
Fairly low unemployment
Good work ethics and Consevative values

Growing problem with methamphetamine (crank) in the area due to the presence of anhydrous ammonia used for growing corn and also for making meth
Otherwise fairly low drug problems and crime in general

Let me know exactly what you mean and maybe I can explain further.  I am originally from the Holland area, grew up in Jasper, and have been a police officer in Evansville for the last 14 years so I've been all around the area you're talking about.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, so far the area is nothing but good. I mean stuff like, "yeah, 3rd week in June is locust week". "May is fire ant season". In areas of Texas you have to keep your windows closed or sleep with your mouth closed because of 1+ inch long flying cockroaches.
I've read some studies and seen that the Santa Claus area is (2000-2002) 5% other than white, only 5% unemployment rate. It's a conservative area with a european (German) heritage, near alot of other good areas, near major cities and attractions, a nice landscape and a good local mentality.

Unfortunately, even in the nice areas, meth has infected our culture at an astounding rate. San Bernardino and Madera counties (CA) are (or were) the two number one meth producing counties in the country. It's sad to see and hear about how many teenagers are meth users. Average, nice girls that are using it more and more, the "it couldn't be her" girls.

How's the drive-in theater in Rockport? I passed by it last year, but didn't get to go. They closed the one here, and I have to drive an hour to the nearest ones, and they are broken asphalt and mostly dirt.

I'll have to drop you a line when I get out there. I appreciate all the info. We won't have any family out there, but I can already tell the shooting community is good.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't think of any major insect invasions or anything around here like fire ants or flying cockroaches or anything.  The ticks are kind of bad if you get into the tall grassy areas, mainly from May through July.  Tick repellent will usually keep them off you though.
Let me know when you get into the area.  I can introduce to Red Brush Rifle Range near Newburgh and try to answer any questions you might have about the area.
See Ya'
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. Would you mind e-mailing me a ph# I can call you at when I'm in town? I was going to check out the Jasper gun club, and it would nice to have someone show me where Red Brush club is. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#5]

...and it would nice to have someone show me where Red Bush club is.

huh?
...learned that from Striker.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#6]
"The" Red Brush club (rifle range).
typo
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Just screwing around Boss-Monkey,
Not a typo, just a little "quote twisting"...

BTW, congrats on your new home!

I think you're going to like Hoosierville. The locust storms, killer-bee month, fire ant invasions, two-inch long flying cockroach week, severe flood month, run-away fire month, and the 30-something below months are way over-rated anyway.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#8]
When was civil riot week again?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I think it's hosted Indy now (The Jessie-500). Not enough people left in Gary to care...
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Didn't Hammond host that for a while?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top