Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2018 7:51:20 AM EDT
I grew up in Silver Spring and left Maryland many years ago, my mom and brothers still live there.

Mom is getting ready to move and I’m helping her sell 18 guns dad left her. I know, I know, never sell a gun, but I already have a ton of dad’s guns, my brothers are not gun guys and honestly, mom needs the money.

I want to make sure we are not running afoul of Maryland gun laws. Here is how I plan to approach things, please let me know if you have any recommendations.

Here is what we are dealing with-
5 revolvers
10 rifles - an M1 carbine, the others are traditional wood stocked bolt and lever guns
7 shotguns - all traditional wood stocked pump and semis

I have a Gunbroker account with perfect feedback, but I live in Texas and will not have direct possession of the guns. Ideally, I would like to list them from my account and have my brothers pack and ship from Maryland. They are both over 30 and have nothing that would prohibit them from purchasing or owning firearms.

Question 1 - any legal issues with listing via my out of state GB account? If so, I’ll just creat an account for my brother, but it will not have any feedback.

Question 2 - do handguns and/or long guns sold out of state need to ship FROM a Maryland FFL? Obviously they would be shipping to the buyer’s FFL.

Question 3 - in the event someone from Maryland wins an auction, how does Maryland handle in state sales?

Question 4 - where can I find 15 long gun sized cardboard boxes for shipping? Of everything, this worries me the most.

Question 5 - what am I missing?

Thanks in advance, I’m visiting next week and want to get everything photographed, prepackaged and listed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I grew up in Silver Spring and left Maryland many years ago, my mom and brothers still live there.

Mom is getting ready to move and I’m helping her sell 18 guns dad left her. I know, I know, never sell a gun, but I already have a ton of dad’s guns, my brothers are not gun guys and honestly, mom needs the money.

I want to make sure we are not running afoul of Maryland gun laws. Here is how I plan to approach things, please let me know if you have any recommendations.

Here is what we are dealing with-
5 revolvers
10 rifles - an M1 carbine, the others are traditional wood stocked bolt and lever guns
7 shotguns - all traditional wood stocked pump and semis

I have a Gunbroker account with perfect feedback, but I live in Texas and will not have direct possession of the guns. Ideally, I would like to list them from my account and have my brothers pack and ship from Maryland. They are both over 30 and have nothing that would prohibit them from purchasing or owning firearms.
View Quote
OK

Question 1 - any legal issues with listing via my out of state GB account? If so, I’ll just creat an account for my brother, but it will not have any feedback.
View Quote
No issues with the guns. Don't "sell or offer for sale" any full capacity (over 10 rounds) magazines in MD.

FWIW, your gunbroker status has no bearing on MD law

Question 2 - do handguns and/or long guns sold out of state need to ship FROM a Maryland FFL? Obviously they would be shipping to the buyer’s FFL.
View Quote
No requirement to ship FROM an FFL, but they must be shipped TO an FFL, which you know. Sometimes, due to shipping requirements placed on the average citizen when shipping handguns, it can be cheaper to ship handguns through an FFL.

Question 3 - in the event someone from Maryland wins an auction, how does Maryland handle in state sales?
View Quote
Provided the buyer has no legal disability in-state sales can be face to face with no requirement for official recordkeeping as long as the firearm, is not regulated (handguns and some rifles). Regulated firearms must be transferred through Maryland State Police or an FFL. Were I in your situation, I would even have the in-state transfers through an FFL to avoid having your mom have to handle this personally. She would want to verify that they are MD residents, get all info from their DL and have them state they are not a prohibited person on a bill of sale....Me? I'd let an FFL handle it...

Question 4 - where can I find 15 long gun sized cardboard boxes for shipping? Of everything, this worries me the most.
View Quote
I don't know.

I have had quite a few firearms worked on and what I have always done is buy a cheap hard case and keep the cardboard sleeve it came in. I pack the firearm in the hard case and slide the cardboard sleeve back over it and tape it securely. A quirk in shipping rules is that if you ship a bare hard case and it's damaged, it is considered "only packaging", but if the hard case is in the cardboard sleeve, the sleeve is the packaging and the case is covered by insurance. The sleeve also provides a good substrate for labeling and one more layer to get through for anyone tampering with the package.

Question 5 - what am I missing?
View Quote
Offering deep discounts to anyone who would help you with this and listing the firearms for sale here first.

Thanks in advance, I’m visiting next week and want to get everything photographed, prepackaged and listed.
View Quote
Good luck and enjoy your stay in Marylandistan!
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
#4 you have two options: ULine sells rifle boxes, or you could find an FFL in the area and ask if he has any.  We take a load of cardboard to the recycle center once a week.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both very much! I ordered a pack of 15 boxes from Uline.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top