Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2018 8:25:31 PM EDT
Going to the DE coast in August for my sister in law’s wedding with my family(wife and three kids 7,5 and 2). Some one suggested Assateague National Park was a really cool place to visit while we’re up that way.  
Any advice on this?  It would probably just be a day trip there.  Not planning on camping.  
Anything else to do up that way?

Other than hanging out at the beach, the only other thing I’m curious to see is dogfish head brewery.  
Also, can I take a pistol into your crappy state or Delaware?
I have a valid Ohio ccw
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Going to the DE coast in August for my sister in law’s wedding with my family(wife and three kids 7,5 and 2). Some one suggested Assateague National Park was a really cool place to visit while we’re up that way.  
Any advice on this?  It would probably just be a day trip there.  Not planning on camping.  

Other than hanging out at the beach, the only other thing I’m curious to see is dogfish head brewery.  
I have a valid Ohio ccw
View Quote
unless you want to be arrested do not carry the pistol in md.  they dont care what state lets you. you cant do it here

as for AI, its not bad, unless you want to go fishing, or hang on the beah, figure 1-2 hours to see it all.
and do not feed the horses! drive slow, you dont want to be the person that runs into a horse

i avoid the beach area like the plague may-sept.  too many idiots.

what delaware bach are you going to?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

unless you want to be arrested do not carry the pistol in md.  they dont care what state lets you. you cant do it here

as for AI, its not bad, unless you want to go fishing, or hang on the beah, figure 1-2 hours to see it all.
and do not feed the horses! drive slow, you dont want to be the person that runs into a horse

i avoid the beach area like the plague may-sept.  too many idiots.

what delaware bach are you going to?
View Quote
Dewey beach area
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Dewey beach area
View Quote
not too familiar with that area

could go over to doverAFB and thier museum, if its still open

cape henlopen state park is close, not alot to do other than walk around.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Sika deer hunted 20+ years straight on Assateague and avoided OC the whole time.

Too many greenheads, skeeters, and Pennsyltuckians and New Yawkers who come to a dead stop for a pony most of the year.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Boardwalk fries!!!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have a valid Ohio ccw
View Quote
We love Assateague. My family and I have an OSV permit to drive the truck right out onto the beach. We go every year at least for the early Spring and late Fall stripper run. If you plan on going to the beach and have kids, just remember, there aren't any lifeguards. The park is well known for their wild horses, but IMO, they suck. I guess all the visitors do is feed them, so they are scavengers. All in all, Assateague is well worth a visit to fish and is one of the coolest places you can visit on the Eastern Shore. Just like everyone else said....don't bring your concealed carry into MD. We're not 2A friendly....

-Dan from MD
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I was going to mention the over sands vehicle permits.  This gives you access to a lot less crowded beach.
They have the ocean side and the bay side. The bay side has a beach aera that isn't real deep and somewhat clear water.  They. Have lots of trails to walk on but bring good bug spray. The wild horse are very brave and will walk right up to you. I have had them stick their head in my truck looking for food. Do not feed or try to touch them they are wild and can hurt you. Also it is a good ticket if you get cought.
You have to pay to get in the park and the osv permit is extra. You can buy the passes at their nature center and spend about an hour there looking around. They have restroom at the nature center and scattered trough the park.
If you have proper license you can crab and fish on the bay side. You can rent kayak there as well. The beaches get crowet. But not as bad as the beach in  ocean City.
They even have campground. There is also a state park beside a.l. that charges as well and is separate from the federal park.  When you come over the bridge (you will understand when you see it) if you go straight that is the state park. If you turn right that takes you to the federal park.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#9]
they fail a few things to mention on the required equipment list that every jeep should have and be able to get to it quickly. an ABC fire extinguisher, a good first aid kit and a fully charged cell phone.

when you are that far down the beach it will take a long time to get help to you.

it is always good to have your own air compressor with you as a back up.  I keep a small harbor freight  air compressor in my jeep all the time just in case of issues I also have things to repair the tire or valve stem on the trail/ beach.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#11]
What do you have for a shovel?   Right now  I have one of the folding camp sheval in my jeep recover  box.  But unthinkable it may be just a tab bit to small.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Seconded!
View Quote
I personally think what you have is fine. All you need is something to dig your tires out in the unlikely event you spin your tires a little deep. Put in in 4x4 and drive easy. Also, don't try to fight the previous tire tracks! you can pretty much just pick a track and let go of the wheel!

Dan
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What do you have for a shovel?   Right now  I have one of the folding camp sheval in my jeep recover  box.  But unthinkable it may be just a tab bit to small.
View Quote
I personally think what you have is fine. All you need is something to dig your tires out in the unlikely event you spin your tires a little deep. Put in in 4x4 and drive easy. Also, don't try to fight the previous tire tracks! you can pretty much just pick a track and let go of the wheel!

Dan
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Mosquitoes so big they need tail numbers.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 11:53:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Just stay in DE unless you "have" to see the ponies. DE has parks an you can drive on the beach. Check the CCW map to see if DE takes your permit. For fun shops go to Steeles on Rt 9.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Doesn't Delaware beaches required you to be activly fishing in order to be on the beach?
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top