Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2011 6:34:04 PM EDT
This Foxnews article was posted to GD, but I wanted to re-post it here.  

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09/13/house-weighs-bill-to-make-gun-permits-valid-across-state-lines/

(in part only due to new COC):

Lawmakers are considering a House bill that would give Americans who hold permits to carry firearms in their home states the right to carry their weapons across state lines.

Although many states have entered into voluntary agreements, there is no nationwide framework for honoring permits and licenses uniformly. A bipartisan bill, co-authored by Reps. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., and Heath Shuler, D-N.C., aims to change that.

Supporters say the measure would not create a federal licensing system, but would require that all states recognize lawfully issued permits –– regardless of where they were issued. Gun rights advocacy groups say it's the only way to make sure that lawful gun owners' Second Amendment rights are guaranteed when they travel away from their home states.

But opponents say the bill tramples on each state's autonomy to set the standards legislators believe are necessary to confront local problems. Foes also said that the law could allow violent offenders to hold on to their weapons.

Testifying before Congress on Tuesday, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey told the story of Marqus Hill, a man whose Pennsylvania gun permit was revoked after he was charged with attempted murder.

"Despite his record, he then used his Florida permit to carry a loaded gun in Philadelphia," Ramsey said. "He eventually shot a teenager thirteen times in the chest killing him on the street."

Gun rights advocates say the dire warnings about expanding the rights of law-abiding citizens are overblown. Wayne LaPierre, executive director of the National Rifle Association, said the American public is more interested in self-defense than scare tactics. He's also predicting a win for what has been dubbed the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011.

"It cuts across Democrats, Republicans, liberals, conservatives –– even President Obama's base is strongly in favor of this legislation," LaPierre said..

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09/13/house-weighs-bill-to-make-gun-permits-valid-across-state-lines/#ixzz3NTF9yjGg

COMMENT:  Yes - I realize it may be a long shot & I believe it WILL get vetoed if it gets that far.

But, Heller was also a long shot. And it seemed like the AWB would never end too - but both came to pass. Maybe this one has a chance someday too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 12:29:51 AM EDT
[#1]
On one hand, you could say that this violates State's rights. On the other hand you could compare this to a drivers license.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I have mixed feelings about this one.  Of course, it's probably the only way MD will ever see CCW.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 3:29:56 AM EDT
[#3]
So people who get permits in other states can carry here, but we still won't be able to?

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 5:11:45 AM EDT
[#4]
If we can get a non-resident (UTAH) concealed carry and it has to be honored in all 50 states - Winning!
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 6:02:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If we can get a non-resident (UTAH) concealed carry and it has to be honored in all 50 states - Winning!

I believe, key word is believe as I'm not 100% positive, that the legislation states the permit has to be from their home state.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

you missed this part.

Americans who hold permits to carry firearms in their home states
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 4:21:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you missed this part.

That is the case, bit this may serve to force the powers that be to remove the good and substantial reason clause from the current ccw law.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:47:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you missed this part.

That is the case, bit this may serve to force the powers that be to remove the good and substantial reason clause from the current ccw law.

Unfortunately, even with the minimal chance we have of this bill passing, MD residents would still be forced to wait 5 or so years for the General Assembly to come around.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
snip

Unfortunately, even with the minimal chance we have of this bill passing, MD residents would still be forced to wait 5 or so years for the General Assembly to come around.

I think that all the non residents carrying in MD would cause such an outcry from the MD residents that they would have no choice but to change the law.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:43:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

I think that all the non residents carrying in MD would cause such an outcry from the MD residents that they would have no choice but to change the law.

Stop using logic. It has no place when discussing Maryland politics.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:08:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Pretty much.

In related news, I met a 70-year-old woman from Texas over the weekend who was up visiting her grandchildren.

The subject of firearms came up (apparently, she's an avid AR-15 user and hog slayer) and she was aghast when I informed her that, under Maryland law, she could not legally carry her Kahr in her purse, not even to the grocery store.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

I guess I'm one of those "hold out hope" types. They have made logical errors in the past. Remember when they override the veto against selling used police guns, or recently when they realized that going from a 20 round limit to a 10 was useless? One can hope.

One thing I can say is that Brian Frosh will absolutely shit himself when he realizes that he can't desk drawer veto this one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:54:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Got my CCW in MD in exactly five days!  Must be a good sign.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Who'd ya blow? How'd ya grease them axles?
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who'd ya blow? How'd ya grease them axles?

This...
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What special class are you?  Ex LEO, member of legislature, Major Contributor to a member of the legislature.
Do tell if you are Joe Citizen without 10 documented death threats or carry $5000 a day in cash.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 1:20:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
carry $5000 a day in cash.

While there is some credence to your other points, this part is untrue.  There is no defined amount for issuance of a permit for business purposes and it can be for amounts well below $100.  If you have a business license and bank account and can document cash deposits, you will likely get a permit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
carry $5000 a day in cash.

While there is some credence to your other points, this part is untrue.  There is no defined amount for issuance of a permit for business purposes and it can be for amounts well below $100.  If you have a business license and bank account and can document cash deposits, you will likely get a permit.

That is not what I have been lead to believe by my gun club, several former co workers who are sworn officers and more than a few members of this forum.  I was told initially $1500 in cash deposits
then it was in excess of $4000.  While I agree that there is nothing in the application process as to the denominations of $$$ needing to be carried, it has been brought to my attention by someone
who deals in large cash deposits that his permit is only active while conducting such business and not 24/7.  Care to comment?  I want to apply but concerned about denials and whether that
affects future attempts to obtain a permit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:56:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That is not what I have been lead to believe by my gun club, several former co workers who are sworn officers and more than a few members of this forum.  I was told initially $1500 in cash deposits
then it was in excess of $4000.  While I agree that there is nothing in the application process as to the denominations of $$$ needing to be carried, it has been brought to my attention by someone
who deals in large cash deposits that his permit is only active while conducting such business and not 24/7.  Care to comment?  I want to apply but concerned about denials and whether that
affects future attempts to obtain a permit.

A denial will not affect future applications in other states, specifically VA, FL and UT.  We checked with each state.

It is true that the permit will be issued with a restriction, something like 98-99% of them are restricted.  It is true that one of the boilerplate restrictions is for while carrying cash deposits in connection with your business.  Depending on the nature of your business, it may be perfectly plausible that you always happen to have a cash deposit that you were just about to take to the ATM.

There is no set threshold for what the amount of those deposits must be.  There are permit holders who deal with deposits that are sub-$100 and have even been able to renew with that track record.

That being said, due to the arbitrary nature of the process, the person before you could receive the permit and you be denied.....even with the same numbers.  But, most that go through the hoops of making the application for business purposes, and have all of their ducks in a row with the deposits, business license, etc and have no external reason for denial (criminal history, etc) end up getting a permit, even if restricted.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:40:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I like how if you carry cash for a business, that's reason they *might* give you a permit.  Or, I'm sorry, let you buy a permit.

But if you have anything valuable that's personal property, tht's not legitimate cause.

How much is your car worth?
How many women wear a $5k+ engagement ring every day?
Do you carry a $2k laptop to and from work?
Do you carry prescription drugs someone might want to steal?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:58:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like how if you carry cash for a business, that's reason they *might* give you a permit.  Or, I'm sorry, let you buy a permit.

But if you have anything valuable that's personal property, tht's not legitimate cause.

How much is your car worth?
How many women wear a $5k+ engagement ring every day?
Do you carry a $2k laptop to and from work?
Do you carry prescription drugs someone might want to steal?

The greater irony is that, while issuing you a permit for the purposes of protecting cash or other tangible items, the castle doctrine and self-defense case law pretty much exclude the use of deadly force for protection of assets.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It is true that the permit will be issued with a restriction, something like 98-99% of them are restricted.  It is true that one of the boilerplate restrictions is for while carrying cash deposits in connection with your business.  Depending on the nature of your business, it may be perfectly plausible that you always happen to have a cash deposit that you were just about to take to the ATM.

There is no set threshold for what the amount of those deposits must be.  There are permit holders who deal with deposits that are sub-$100 and have even been able to renew with that track record.

you might want to reread the wording on that. if a business owner has a CHP for making deposits it only covers you from the place of business via the closest rt to the bank and then the closest rt back to the place of business. its just like the "transport" BS MD has, from the house to the range, gunsmith, gun shop and directly back home, no stopping or detours.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you might want to reread the wording on that. if a business owner has a CHP for making deposits it only covers you from the place of business via the closest rt to the bank and then the closest rt back to the place of business. its just like the "transport" BS MD has, from the house to the range, gunsmith, gun shop and directly back home, no stopping or detours.

It depends on the nature of the business.  Not all businesses are tied to a fixed location and there are numerous bank branches.    I personally know of several business owners whose business is mobile and deal in cash transactions and who have permits.

Further, the boilerplates restrictions are not as specific as you mention.  They will typically say "while engaged in the business as......" or "while making cash deposits".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top