Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 7:43:27 AM EDT
This week, when discussing whether or not women who have been targets of domestic violence should be allowed concealed carry permits, one of our legislators went above and beyond anything resembling reason to demonstrate why this was not a good idea. They cited a case where a woman's estranged husband or boyfriend came to her place of work, doused her with gasoline, and set her on fire. The legislator then went on to say that this was a prime example of why the law should not be changed. After all, the woman set on fire could have missed, and accidentally shot an innocent bystander.

Does anyone know where I can find the exact quote? I heard it this morning, but I cannot find a link anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#1]
MDShooters
Terpfan
Sen. McFadden says a woman nearly burned alive by her husband three years ago at a T-Mobile would have been WRONG to use a firearm to defend herself if she had the opportunity!!  His reasoning?  Using the firearm may have had "unintended consequences in people who would be adversely affected."
""Thank you Mr. President and members of the Senate. In response to my esteemed colleague from Western Maryland, lets make this observation - Given this scenario, there was a situation in Prince George's County unfortunately of a woman who was abused obviously. And she was at work. And her husband came in and unfortunately and lamentably threw some sort of gasoline mixture on her and set her on fire in her work environment. Suppose she had opted to have a gun in that situation. This is a place of business. And had she attempted to defend herself during this occurence, I just think that it may have been some unintended consequences in people who would be adversely affected . . ."
http://mdsenategop.com/index.php?vie...=default&page=  

The audio just shows the insanity of the Maryland General Assembly.  We need to get this out on the internet so everyone knows just how crazy is!

Audio: http://www.zshare.net/audio/57713034224a73dd/

There you go.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. It still drives me crazy every time I think about it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, there is some sort of equal force requirement. Maybe they should have just thrown gasoline on each other and then they could have burned each other AND the building AND anybody else who was in there.

With logic (or lack of) like that, I should be a shoe in for President in the next election. Please IM me for where to send campaign contributions.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:10:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Unfucking believable. Welcome to Great Britain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top