Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2008 1:51:05 PM EDT
I am graduating soon and have a prospective job in MD that pays well and it is what I want to do, after going to school in NY for the past 5 yrs (dual degree program) I want to buy some pistols. I have a current permanent address in TX so I can buy just about everything and leave it there so I can visit my parents and shoot my guns. I have a growing collection and I just got two pistols one of which is not illegal in MD but you cant get it because of the useless spent case laws, so I am glad I got it prior to the move. Are there any other guns like this that are legal in MD but cant be purchased because of the spent case laws?

Also to my understanding you are not allowed to buy pistols in any other state than the one you reside in (permanently), is that correct?

My list of guns that are legal but cant be purchased includes:

Steyr M9-A1,...

Please add to my list.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:38:21 AM EDT
[#1]
AR pistols
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:21:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am graduating soon and have a prospective job in MD that pays well and it is what I want to do, after going to school in NY for the past 5 yrs (dual degree program) I want to buy some pistols. I have a current permanent address in TX so I can buy just about everything and leave it there so I can visit my parents and shoot my guns. I have a growing collection and I just got two pistols one of which is not illegal in MD but you cant get it because of the useless spent case laws, so I am glad I got it prior to the move. Are there any other guns like this that are legal in MD but cant be purchased because of the spent case laws?

Also to my understanding you are not allowed to buy pistols in any other state than the one you reside in (permanently), is that correct?

That is federal law (buy=take possession through an FFL)

My list of guns that are legal but cant be purchased includes:

Steyr M9-A1,...

Please add to my list.

The handgun roster which lists hanguns available for sale from dealers is here
The Steyr M9-a1 appears on the list.

Steyr Mannlicher Handguns

The following are the Handguns made by Steyr Mannlicher that are legal in Maryland  

Model  Model Number  Caliber  
M40-A1, M9-A1, M357-A1  .40 S&W, 9mm, .357 Sig.  
S40-A1, S9-A1, S357-A1  .40 S&W, 9mm, .357 Sig.  
M357   .357 SIG  
M40   .40 S&W  
M9   9 MM  
Steyr Match FP  1800  .22 LR  

The following pistols are the only weapons banned for posession unless grandfathered in by registration with the MSP

§ 4-301. "Assault pistol" defined.

In this subtitle, "assault pistol" means any of the following firearms or a copy regardless of the producer or manufacturer:  

(1) AA Arms AP-9 semiautomatic pistol;  

(2) Bushmaster semiautomatic pistol;  

(3) Claridge HI-TEC semiautomatic pistol;  

(4) D Max Industries semiautomatic pistol;  

(5) Encom MK-IV, MP-9, or MP-45 semiautomatic pistol;  

(6) Heckler and Koch semiautomatic SP-89 pistol;  

(7) Holmes MP-83 semiautomatic pistol;  

(8) Ingram MAC 10/11 semiautomatic pistol and variations including the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;  

(9) Intratec TEC-9/DC-9 semiautomatic pistol in any centerfire variation;  

(10) P.A.W.S. type semiautomatic pistol;  

(11) Skorpion semiautomatic pistol;  

(12) Spectre double action semiautomatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell);  

(13) UZI semiautomatic pistol;  

(14) Weaver Arms semiautomatic Nighthawk pistol; or  

(15) Wilkinson semiautomatic "Linda" pistol.  

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure your gun is on teh approved handgun roster list.

The spent shell law is inapplicable to guns that are from a distributer. I bought two guns without spent shells through my transfer dealer.

All your other guns are gtg in MD. No registration or anything if you bring them from out of state.

High cap mags as well. Where is your prospective job?
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Make sure your gun is on teh approved handgun roster list.

Why, if it's not on the banned assault pistols list, it's not illegal in Maryland if he already owns it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I was told that if you are buying a new pistol on the internet, and having it transferred to you by a dealer in MD that it had to have a spend casing with it. And since some manufactures don't ship their pistols with spent cases you cant buy it in MD. My specific case was the Steyr M9-A1, I bought it from CDNN.com and if I had lived in MD I would not be allowed to purchase this pistol, not because it was illegal but because it didn't come with a spent case. So I am looking for other manufactures like Steyr that do not ship their new pistols with spent cases for MD buyers. I am not looking for illegal guns.

The spent case law is stupid, it does nothing, it has done nothing, just cost MD residents money. I cant wait till they come around and get rid of it.

I got a job at NAVAIR with the Navy as an engineer, working on F/A-18s.

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#6]
The spent case law only applies if the gun come straight from the manufacturer to an FFL in MD.

Since you bought the gun from CDNN the spent case rule doesn't apply.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The spent case law only applies if the gun come straight from the manufacturer to an FFL in MD.

Since you bought the gun from CDNN the spent case rule doesn't apply.

100% correct.  As long as the pistol is not on the "Assault Pistols" list which is banned for possession by anyone, you can bring in whatever you want and the state police involvement is not mandatory since you acquired them outside of MD state lines legally.   They do suggest (ha ha ha) that you voluntarily register your guns for "assistance in recovery if it is stolen or lost" but forget that... just get a good safe and use common sense.

The same is true with magazines greater than 20 rounds.  You can bring them in, but you cant buy (including mail order), sell, offer for sale, manufacture 20+ round magazines in the state borders.  Possession is not banned, so go to Virginia, Delaware or stop in PA and load up - that is what we all do.  If you buy a gun with over a 20 round mag, have the dealer ship the mag(s) to a person you know in a free state and go pick it up from them and bring it back here.  If you sell the gun, sell the mag to someone out of state.

The roster board only applies to guns manufactured after 1984 that are sold within the state borders, including out of state transfers.  The purpose was to defacto ban "junk guns" that were cheap and easy to conceal.  As stated above, shell casings only apply to new firearms from the factory... used guns do not have to have shell casings.  But used guns manufactured after the date need to be on the roster to be transferred legally in the state... meaning you are living here and buy something used, made after 1984 it doesn't need a shell casing but needs to be on the list.  If you buy something new from a distributor/local dealer made after 1984 it has to have a spent shell from the factory.  If you buy anything used made before 1985 it does not need a shell casing or to be on the roster board.  

However, all pistols and so called "assault weapons" sold within the state borders has to be recorded by the MSP since they are considered regulated.  Basically, it means a background check and a 7+ day wait.  Besides handguns, these long arms need paperwork and wait periods as well:  www.mdsp.org/downloads/assault_weapons.pdf

There is also regulations about a trigger lock.  If you buy a regulated arm, they have to sell or give you a trigger lock.  Smile and throw it in the trash when you walk out of the Maryland Dealer's place of business.  There are also penalties for keeping a firearm within easy access of a minor - do let kids near your guns or they will be happy to prosecute you.

No CCW, but all NFA  (machine guns, suppressors,  SBR, SBS, AOW, non-exploding DD) except explosive destructive devices are legal to own and fire.

Hope this helps - these are the laws in a nutshell.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Also a gun dosen't need to have an internal lock if an "omega" lock is sold with the gun at the time of sale. If you have 1 omega lock and show the dealer then most will waive the lock requirement.

You need a firearm safety card though, which requires you to watch a 30 min video once and you get the card on the spot.

Basically everything is legal here with the 7 day wait the major hoop. Just make sure you really want whatever gun you buy because unless it's a shotgun or hunting type gun, its very difficult to sell.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#9]
So what manufacturers do not ship their new pistols form the factory with spent cases?

What online retailers are ignorant of the MD law and wont ship a pistol to MD because of the spent case law that doesn't apply to them?

Also regardless of the law, CDNN told me they wound not sell new pistols to me in MD because of the spent case law. I think it was something specific to them or because the Steyr did not come with a spent case.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Also regardless of the law, CDNN told me they wound not sell new pistols to me in MD because of the spent case law. I think it was something specific to them or because the Steyr did not come with a spent case.

We can't help stupid. MD Code specifies manufacturers only.

§ 5-131. Handgun identification requirements.

(a)  Definitions.-  

(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.

(2) "Manufacturer" means a person who possesses a federal license to engage in the business of manufacturing firearms or ammunition for sale or distribution.

(3) "Projectile" means the part of handgun ammunition that is expelled through the barrel of the handgun by an explosion.

(4) "Shell casing" means the part of handgun ammunition that contains the primer and propellent powder to discharge the projectile.

(b) Manufacturer requirements.- A manufacturer that ships or transports a handgun for sale, rental, or transfer in the State shall include in the box with the handgun in a separate, sealed container:

(1) a shell casing of a projectile discharged from the handgun; and

(2) additional information that the Secretary requires to identify the type of handgun and shell casing.

(c)  Actions by dealer.-  

(1) On receipt of a handgun from a manufacturer
, the dealer shall confirm to the Department of State Police that the manufacturer has complied with subsection (b) of this section.

(2) On the sale, rental, or transfer of the handgun, the dealer shall forward the sealed container to the Department of State Police Crime Laboratory.

(d)  Crime Laboratory database.- On receipt of a shell casing and information as required in subsection (b) of this section, the Department of State Police Crime Laboratory shall enter the information in each relevant database.  

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 442B(a)-(e); 2003, ch. 5, § 2.]

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Also a gun dosen't need to have an internal lock if an "omega" lock is sold with the gun at the time of sale. If you have 1 omega lock and show the dealer then most will waive the lock requirement.

You need a firearm safety card though, which requires you to watch a 30 min video once and you get the card on the spot.

Basically everything is legal here with the 7 day wait the major hoop. Just make sure you really want whatever gun you buy because unless it's a shotgun or hunting type gun, its very difficult to sell.

If you need some pistols locks I will GIVE you a few!!  Also, if you are a Veteran show the dealer you DD214 and you don't have to get that idiotic pistol card.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#12]
What manufacturers don't ship their new pistols with spent cases?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top