Posted: 2/12/2007 12:09:58 PM EDT
www.silveradogunshow.com/showp-feb07.html

February 17 & 18, 2007
Show Place Arena (P.G. County)
Route 4 & 301 Upper Marlboro, MD

Show Open to the Public
Saturday - 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Sunday - 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Admission is $7.00 dollars, $5.00 dollars for seniors 62 and older,
Kids under 12 FREE with a paying Adult

I'll be back in MD for the 3-day weekend so I'll probably be there Saturday mid-day with one or two others in tow.  

I know Fulton Armory is going to be there, and I'm probably going to have them bring me a few things.  Other than that I'm looking for ammo  in 5.56mm and 7.62x39, M1 Carbine ammo & mags, and of course beanie babies and jerky.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I live less than ten minutes from the Arena and I'll probably not attend.  I have to say that I've been sorely disappointed with the quality of that show.  I usually go for ammo.  Nothing very interesting at the tables usually.  

If you see anything interesting let us know.  For decent ammo I'd attend.

(Coming up from Bragg Huh?)

XM
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#2]
A few years ago this show was the best one in MD. The last 3 times I've went, I walked through the entire show in about 10 minutes.  Sad as it is to say, the last time I went will probably be my last.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#3]
A real bunch of Debbie Downers in here!  

The only way gun shows will get better is if we go there and support them.  If you don't go to the gun show, then the "antis", gun-grabbers and terrorists win.  

<-- Does that look like ACU? I'm coming up from the beach.   I'm sorting through tactical nylon gear I don't use and will be bringing up some stuff to unload.  It's not on the EE yet, but if anyone is interested I can IM you the list.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Honestly I can't see supporting mediocrity.  I'm all for supporting the industry but they need to take an introspective look at what they are doing wrong.  Their offerings at these show is appalling, the prices are short of ludicrous, and a lot of the vendors seem to have a chip on their shoulders.  This is not a business model that encourages growth and profitability.  It only serves to create ambassadors of ill will. I used to relish going to any gun show.  I now cringe at what's inside.

One thing though...you really need to explain to me how the demise of the gun show deals the terrorist a win. The simple fact is that e-commerce has made its dent in all brick and mortar and traditional businesses.  The current consumer is more informed and with greater choices.  The fact is if you are not competitive with the rest of the industry you will go the way of the Dodo bird.  I'd would hate to see guns shows disappear, but they need to address their shortcomings.

As for your MARPAT, sadly to say I am a color blind soldier.  I could have easily mistook you for a Canadian as well.  

Good luck Sailor.  "Hold your head up high and don't take any shit from anyone" (my favorite saying from a former 1SG)

edited for spelling and mis-identification.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#5]
The internet is great, but right now there are efforts afoot to BAN gun shows.  Gun and accessory sales online would be the logical next target.  But I agree that gun shows need to attract more legit dealers, and not guys with nothing to do on a weekend but sit behind tables of stuff they don't really want to sell.

I think some of the ARFCOM accessory/gear dealers could clean up with decent prices on quality stuff at any of the shows in the PA-MD-VA-NC area.  

Oh, and I'm an FMF Sailor.  Helmet hides the sideburns.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I would gladly pay a little more money for my stuff it they offered it and at a reasonable price.  I like to hold and feel my purchase first rather than looking at it on a screen.  Let us hope they get the message.

I will give this show another chance on Sunday (I've got class on Saturday) just because of your demonstrated concerns for its demise.  I will however write a letter to the organizers of my concerns for the industry in general if it turns out to be a jerky and junk fest.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#7]
There will be plenty of jerky, throwing stars, and native american crafts. Mostly overpriced, undereducated, dealers who can tell you very little about the products they offer. That being said, I'll probably go just for the off chance I'll see that "every once in a while deal".
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 6:12:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the off chance I'll see that "every once in a while deal".

I'm perpetually searching for that one. I'm not even sure what it'll be; but when I see it I'll know I need it!  
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I go and normally get 2 things few bags of teriyaki jerky and all the .45acp Top Hat has. Now there is the shorty bald guy who only has ammo I don't buy from him. If you ask him about the price on his ammo or to match a price of the guy next to him its like his head starts steaming. He doesn't even like to help when you ask for help. And Heaven forbid you ask him for ammo he is all out of.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I might go just to get some anti-AWB literature passed out.

Is there anyone who is definitely going who would be willing to copy and pass out some stuff if I can't go?
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm perpetually searching for that one. I'm not even sure what it'll be; but when I see it I'll know I need it!

About a year, maybe two years ago a dealer was selling Yugo Sks's for $100 even. I already had an sks, but I couldn't pass up a deal like that. I now have an extra sks still packed in cosmo in my safe.

His tables were MOBBED.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm planning on going Saturday.  And yes, the quality of the gun shows has sunk to a low level.  Let's face it... there are a lot of factors that have played a part in the demise of the great gun shows.   A lot of dealers have gone out of business, which makes some of the remaining ones think that they can inflate the prices.  The ones trying to stay fair can't compete with the internet sales.  We get pissed and don't attend, which leads to poor attendance, which in turn makes the out of state dealers not want to waste the time & money to come back again.  Some jurisdictions like Montgomery County have made an effort to block shows from being held, and some try to catch the dealer doing something "illegal".

What it all comes down to is that we have to make the effort to turn it around.  It's not a quick fix, and we shouldn't expect the very next show to be like the old days.  Rather we need to begin the process of building the shows back up to the quality level we expect.  

We, as consumers, need to start the process by attending the shows and supporting the good dealers by spending some of our money.   Walking in and just looking around is just not good enough, we need to make the effort to walk away with a bag in hand of something- doesn't matter if it cost a little or a lot.  The purpose is to show that the customers attending are looking to buy.  Not just coming to  look and then run home to buy it off of the internet.   We all want to spend our money wisely, but we need to consider what that really means.  Does it mean saving money by buying at the cheapest price via the internet, or by realizing the dollar or so more a item cost in the long run actualy helps continue the existence of the gun show (or shop)?  We need to be willing to balance our purchases between the internet, the gun show, and even our gun shops.

Our actions will show the dealers wether it was worth their time and effort to attend the show or not.  Our actions will also lay the groundwork to encourage the dealers back and the promoter will in turn should be able to show new dealers, or entice those old lost dealers, back by showing them the improved stats.  

With the pending AWB bill, I'm hoping that attendance will be up.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll be down there sunday to help clean up.
Looking for some surplus 8mm and 7.62 x 54R ammo.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

About a year, maybe two years ago a dealer was selling Yugo Sks's for $100 even. I already had an sks, but I couldn't pass up a deal like that. I now have an extra sks still packed in cosmo in my safe.

His tables were MOBBED.

Those are throw away guns anyway, I don't even know if I would spend 100 bucks on one.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#15]
It really is ashame to see the demise of the Maryland gunshow. Back in the day I could count on at least three Class 3 dealers with everything from Mac10's to Ma Dueces. Ammo was plentiful and cheap. The biggest problem was having enough arms to carry all of the ammo to the car. There was never a really good AR market, but a few dealers have stepped it up. I understand small dealers can't compete with Internet prices, but asked for prices ABOVE full retail is insane. In the dozen or so years I've been atending MD gun shows, I've only seen about 5 deals that I regret not buying. Now I end up walking away regretting that I spent the $7 to walk through the door. Maybe I'll be in for a pleasant surprise tomorrow. When I attended this show in November it was among the worse ever.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

His tables were MOBBED.

Those are throw away guns anyway, I don't even know if I would spend 100 bucks on one.

Hmmmm....$100 for a gun that goes bang every time, is easy enough to maintain that even a 6 year old could do it, built like a tank, accurate enough to get the job done out to 200 yards, takes what is currently the cheapest ammo on the market?  What's not to like?

Link Posted: 2/16/2007 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got no problems supporting the local guy.  I'll be the first to reach for my wallet to give the small business owner my dollars...but this is a two way street.  If we as hobbyists and consumers make the effort to support them, then they in turn need to try and support us.  That means being somewhat reasonable with their prices.  In the words of Cuba Gooding Jr.  "They have to help US, help THEM!"  <or something like that LOL>
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I've never regretted attending a show.  Somebody always has a good deal on something.

Just because they don't give guns away at the shows doesn't mean you can't go.

Link Posted: 2/16/2007 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, it looks like I'll be heading to the show on Sunday instead of tomorrow.  

If someone would be so kind as to post a review of the first day, I would appreciate it.  

Don't buy up all the jerky and beanie babies!  
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Save yourself the trip. Show was a waste of gas/toll money. Many vendors who used to show there are no longer there. Only a couple of ammo dealers. No Wolf 223. Ammoman had green tip XM855  5.56 for @250 a case which is a pretty good buy right now. M193 was $300 a case. There were a few AK's left over from last weekend's show. I was hoping the Armory would be there from Annapolis, but no deal. Talked to a dealer from Continental/White Marsh Arms about a HK USP compact tactical with a Gemtech Blackside silencer and it was like pulling teeth. I know my way around C3 stuff and asked a couple of informed questions only to be blown off.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I just got back.  Don't bother going.  NO DEALS, and, believe it or not, fewer dealers than last time. I won't be going to another one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 12:20:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
There will be plenty of jerky, throwing stars, and native american crafts. Mostly overpriced, undereducated, dealers who can tell you very little about the products they offer. That being said, I'll probably go just for the off chance I'll see that "every once in a while deal".

I was debating which show to visit, the Showplace or in Dale City, VA, closer to home.  Seems like the same "sh*t-shop" peddlers will be in Maryland, so I may just stay closer to home.
The Dale City show has deteriorated over the years as well.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 2:11:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I went, found what i needed, and a few things i needed, but didnt think id find, so, it was worth it to me, YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 2:22:52 AM EDT
[#24]
I found a few things I wanted. A cleaning rod for my AR, beef jerky, KA-BAR TDI, benchmade 710d2, and a champion gun safe. Got lucky on the safe its one of last years models and I got a nice discount. I really would like to have one of those Mosin's with the scopes. I think every complete lower that I saw was over 300$ and even just the lowers were 200$. I saw 2 or 3 AR's sub 900$.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Just came back.  

Ammoman was picked over by the time I got there and I guess out of M855.  White Marsh Arms had some M855 (loose in boxes, maybe PD) but wasn't real interested in telling me the price.  

I picked up my called-in order from Fulton Armory (some tools) who seemed to be doing ok business on their cash & carry HBARS.  

My friend picked a CRKT folder and I purchased a Ka-Bar TDI from the old guy near the center.  He matched the "internet" price I'd seen for both, plus I didn't have to pay any shipping.  That's the kind of deal I like to see at shows.  

I purchased the March 2007 issue of Small Arms Review from Denis Todd and drooled over his tables of stuff I'll never be able to afford.  That issue is the one with a good article on using a trust for purchasing NFA items.  

The BATFE was giving out stacks of C&R Form 7's which was good to see.  Mine just went in the mail, so I picked up a copy of the C&R List.  

Also bought a few 2-round M1 Garand clips for the CMP Creedmoor match in May.  

Does anyone belong to the Berwyn gun club that had the setup right inside the entrance?  I'm not familiar with that area at all.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, me and the ol' lady went to the show today.
Won't be going back.

Was looking for:
- Beretta PX storm (saw $639 and $645).  CDNN has them for $439.
- S&W MP9  (saw $549).  BudsGunshop.com has them for $399.  

Sorry, I wanna help the local guy...but those numbers are simply absurd.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Unfortunately CDNN won't ship handguns to MD.

Quoted:
Won't be going back.

Was looking for:

Link Posted: 2/19/2007 4:44:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Speaking of the local guy gone out
Anybody remember Walter's Gun Chamber - That use to be my favorite place to purchase guns

White Marsh/Contitnental Arms is decent but prices are usually a little high
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Won't be going back.

Was looking for:

M&P 9 at $399, thats $26 below my dealer friends cost . Jump on it at $399.

Quoted:
Speaking of the local guy gone out
Anybody remember Walter's Gun Chamber - That use to be my favorite place to purchase guns

White Marsh/Contitnental Arms is decent but prices are usually a little high

I bought my M1A from him. Had to be buzzed in, to get in the store lol.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#30]
All i can say is, the show was BETTER than timonium.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Is this a new policy?  The ol' lady just bought a HK USP 3 months ago from them, and they shipped to our FFL in California,MD with no questions.  It arrived in 4 days.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#32]
I called them a few months ago to try and get a px4 - told me they don't ship handguns to MD, maybe they changed their policy
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 4:08:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Maybe....but the day they come for your regulated, $1500 AR is the same day that I can say, "Nope, I sold that unregulated semiautomatic assault rifle years ago to some guy named Jeff."

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Maybe....but the day they come for your regulated, $1500 AR is the same day that I can say, "Nope, I sod that unregulated semiautomatic assault rifle years ago to some guy named Jeff."

Or lost it in a tragic boating accident.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#35]
SlimHazy-  I am a member of Berwyn.  If you would like to meet and go over some Saturday/Sunday when you are in town, just send me a pm.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top