Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2006 2:04:20 PM EDT
I ordered some 5.45 x 39 from Sportman's Guide.  The website accepted my order, but I later received an email from SG refusing to ship the ammo to my street address in Maryland.  This is not specialty ammo in any way.  Does anyone have any idea why SG would refuse to ship to Maryland?  I order ammo from many other sources and have not encountered this.

Thanks,

CWO
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard they won't ship to Annapolis because it is "too close to DC."

I live in the Baltimore/Washington corridor and I have had no problems receiving ammo from them in the recent past.  However, since they subjectively enforce their own "policies", I refuse to do business with them anymore.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I have read this thread and in response i called sportsmans guide.  I told them that i had recieved an Ammo shipment a few months back.  They informed me that there were no restrictions on shipping ammo to my zip code.  I am in the Silver Spring area.  Montgomery County.  I would think if there was anywhere in the state that there would be restrictions i would be in MOCO.  So long story short.  Call them, Ill bet dollars to donuts that they will ship to you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's the basis of their position:

From the Annapolis City Code:

11.44.030 Firearms and ammunition--Register of purchasers.
Each person engaged in the business of selling or exchanging any firearms, except shotguns and air and cat rifles, or ammunition, shall keep a register of the name and address of the person purchasing any firearms, cartridges or other ammunition, noting the make, caliber and date of purchase. The register shall be open to the inspection of the police at all times. (Prior code § 17-8)

11.44.040 Firearms and ammunition--Registration of sellers.
Each person engaged in the business of selling or exchanging any kind of firearms or ammunition shall register his name and place of business with the City Clerk. (Prior code § 17-9)

The code applies to persons (defined earlier in the code to include corporations), in the City of Annapolis, engaged in the business of selling . . . ammunition. As SG does not have a physical presence in the City of Annapolis, I doubt the code applies to them. But I don't entirely fault them for intepreting the code broadly and covering their corporate assets.

As noted above, they could have saved themselves a lot of emails if their management had controlled the issue, explained their position, and not responded with "too close to the District of Columbia, . . . in Maryland, . . . MAY NOT BE LEGALLY PURCHASED IN YOUR AREA."

That's their story and their sticking with it.

A week after this occurred I place another ammo order where I accidentally transposed the zip code digits from 21401 to 21140 (Riva, MD).  I received the ammo order with the incorrect zip even though it was still addressed to Annapolis.  Their system appears to be set up to flag zip codes and not cities.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#5]
BrillO;  Interesting approach.  I may try transposing zip code last two numbers and see what happens!

CWO
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it just an Annapolis thing. They have shipped to me before.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder if, since we've gone from 21401 to 21409, they don't flag us
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#8]
HAve it shipped to my house.  I will only shoot a little.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#9]

I am in the Silver Spring area. Montgomery County. I would think if there was anywhere in the state that there would be restrictions i would be in MOCO. So long story short. Call them, Ill bet dollars to donuts that they will ship to you.

I'm in the Silver Spring area, too.  I generally don't buy too much from Sportsman's Guide ('cept for some surplus jackets and what-not), but I DO order quite a bit of ammo from other sources. I have never had any issues being "too close to DC," or any issues with being in MontyCo.

Oh - and Hey Norton, T'sup!!!!  :wave

Ed
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#10]
The libs in Annapolis never sleep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top