Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2006 6:35:02 AM EDT
Can anyone recommend a sailing class in the Baltimore/Annapolis area?  Week-long, weekend, etc, doesnt matter, I can get off from work.

I already have my boater's safety course card, but now I'm looking for a class on learning to sail.  I have probably 200+ hours of powerboating and 100+ hrs of jetski time.

One of my coworkers has a line on a late 80s/early 90s 25' sailboat in very good condition I could have for pretty cheap (Owner died, his life partner doesnt want it anymore and I can store it at my employer's marina for $25/mo), but the last time I went sailing was 8 years ago in Boy Scouts, and that was only little 2man boats.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:51:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Kharn-Harford Community College used to offer a good one that was about half classroom and half practical, I'm not sure if they still do. I took it back in the 80's and we sailed a bunch of times out of Havre De Grace. www.harfordcc.edu is their web address

You definitely want some practical experience with somebody who knows sailing though, otherwise it's no fun and can even be a little dangerous

JIBE HOhock.gif!!!!!--
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Can anyone recommend a sailing class in the Baltimore/Annapolis area?  Week-long, weekend, etc, doesnt matter, I can get off from work.

I already have my boater's safety course card, but now I'm looking for a class on learning to sail.  I have probably 200+ hours of powerboating and 100+ hrs of jetski time.

One of my coworkers has a line on a late 80s/early 90s 25' sailboat in very good condition I could have for pretty cheap (Owner died, his life partner doesnt want it anymore and I can store it at my employer's marina for $25/mo), but the last time I went sailing was 8 years ago in Boy Scouts, and that was only little 2man boats.

Kharn

That says enough right there. What's the name of the boat, Brokeback barnicle or something like that? You had better hose the cabin out with bleach.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That says enough right there. What's the name of the boat, Brokeback barnicle or something like that? You had better hose the cabin out with bleach.

That was my first thought too, Lysol's gonna be shipping a pallet of various products to me.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What's the name of the boat, Brokeback barnicle or something like that? You had better hose the cabin out with bleach.

D'oh!    And remember, it's bad luck to change the name of a boat!  

Over the weekend I was in REI and picked up a (free) copy of a magazine called Chespeake Sailing.  It was in one of the stands inside the door.  I haven't read it yet, and I left it at work, but if I had to guess it's gonna have the info you need.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:38:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's the name of the boat, Brokeback barnicle or something like that? You had better hose the cabin out with bleach.

D'oh!    And remember, it's bad luck to change the name of a boat!  

Over the weekend I was in REI and picked up a (free) copy of a magazine called Chespeake Sailing.  It was in one of the stands inside the door.  I haven't read it yet, and I left it at work, but if I had to guess it's gonna have the info you need.

I'll take the risk on changing the name. I'll keep an eye out for the magazine.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'll take the risk on changing the name. I'll keep an eye out for the magazine.
Kharn

Sailing is risky anyway.    How about Kharnival Kruiser or something like that...

I looked at the magazine again, and it's called Spinsheet Chesapeake Bay Sailing.  It was definitely REI, but Boat US/West Marine has an ad inside the front cover so they probably have it too.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#7]
"Kharn's Gunrunning Proceeds" would be funny, but definitely more trouble than it was worth.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
J World in Annapolis offers the best sailing school bar none.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top