Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 2:52:12 PM EDT
So I was reading the legal section of the MD AR15 shooters site and it says you can buy an AR15 in another state as long as that state allows non-residents to purchase the firearm. I just want to double check this since I spend a lot of time in PA (I go to school there) and I am probably going to make my first firearms purchase(s) this spring/summer, most likely a handgun and an AR and who knows what else, I'm addicted already just from renting guns and window shopping!

Also, if anybody knows whether PA allows non-resident purchases, that would obviously be something important for me to consider.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So I was reading the legal section of the MD AR15 shooters site and it says you can buy an AR15 in another state as long as that state allows non-residents to purchase the firearm. I just want to double check this since I spend a lot of time in PA (I go to school there) and I am probably going to make my first firearms purchase(s) this spring/summer, most likely a handgun and an AR and who knows what else, I'm addicted already just from renting guns and window shopping!

Also, if anybody knows whether PA allows non-resident purchases, that would obviously be something important for me to consider.

Thanks

Per federal law, you CANNOT buy a handgun outside your state of residence (I'm assuming that it's MD?).  You can buy a long gun outside your state of residence, as long as the state you are buying in allows it, and you follow the same rules and regulations that you would if you had purchased it in your home state (i.e. you would have to have your gun store in PA impose a 7-day wait for "regulated" weapons, unless the AR was an HBAR, but that's a different story altogether).

Recommend you look into becoming a resident of PA. If you go to school there, you may be able to establish residency.  It depends on the state laws, however.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 on getting the docs to be a PA resident

1) As noted you cannot buy a handgun in PA as a MD resident - unless they ship it to a MD dealer - who will follow the rules (8 day wait, 21 years old, etc).

2) While you can legally buy an AR-15 in PA you should note two things.
A) Most dealers are scared of MD Laws and will not sell you one because of:
B) They still have to follow MD law as it relates to transferring the firearm (meaning if it's not an HBAR you have the 8 day wait & the extra background check).  

Now if they are a smart dealer they would know they can sell you an HBAR with no problems.  Problem is few know this clause, and fewer still are willing to step to the edge (even though it's legal).
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok thanks for the information. Sounds like there's no advantage to buying it in PA.

Becoming a PA resident is probably the best option, I'll look into it. That will make life easier, except when I come home to MD during the summer
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ok thanks for the information. Sounds like there's no advantage to buying it in PA.

Becoming a PA resident is probably the best option, I'll look into it. That will make life easier, except when I come home to MD during the summer

I don't think it should pose any problem coming home for the summer. You can still buy long guns in MD even if you are a PA resident.  You just can't buy handguns, which you wouldn't want to do in MD anyway because of all the nonsense that MD puts you through to buy one.

I am living in Pittsburgh until September....the laws are so much better up here!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Can a Md. resident  buy a non-reguated firearm in Pa.  without having to send it to a Md. FFL?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Becoming a PA resident is probably the best option, I'll look into it. That will make life easier, except when I come home to MD during the summer hr

I don't think it should pose any problem coming home for the summer. You can still buy long guns in MD even if you are a PA resident.  You just can't buy handguns, which you wouldn't want to do in MD anyway because of all the nonsense that MD puts you through to buy one.

I am living in Pittsburgh until September....the laws are so much better up here!

Pittsburgh, eh? Well that makes two of us. I go to Carnegie Mellon.

If a PA resident buys a regulated long gun like an AR in MD would the waiting period and the one gun per month still apply?

rmz: I think that would be fine legally, but I don't know if PA dealers would actually do it. Take a look at this:

"Resident of this State in adjacent state.
If a resident of this State is eligible to purchase a
rifle or shotgun under the laws of an adjacent
state, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun
from a federally licensed gun dealer in the
adjacent state."

From http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/ATF_Maryland_Gun_Laws.pdf
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Regulated firearms have to be sold in the same manner as a handgun when purchased out of state, i.e FFL transfer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:12:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Can a Md. resident  buy a non-reguated firearm in Pa.  without having to send it to a Md. FFL?

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:13:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Regulated firearms have to be sold in the same manner as a handgun when purchased out of state, i.e FFL transfer.

No, I don't think that's the case - I think a lot of dealers do it that way.  UNLESS the MD police won't do the waiting period etc over the phone, or the PA dealers don't have the MD extra paperwork for a regulated firearm.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top