Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 6:00:21 PM EDT
I finally found a good recipe for crab cakes.  What kind of sauce or condiment do you eat yours with?  I thought I would ask the experts.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
mustard only
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
mustard only

Any specific brand I should look for?  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Condiments are used to mask the taste of a so-so crabcake.  In my opinion, if you need a condiment, don't bother with the crabcake.  Go to McDonalds.  The flavor is in the meat.
I broil mine then I just squeeze a little lemon on it.  
Has anyone ever gone to the Seafood Market (one in Annapolis and a few others elswhere) and bought their large jumbo cake, costs about $9 or 10 each (last time I checked)?  The best!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:06:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I was always under the impression that G&M had some of the best crabcakes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:25:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Stoney's has the best.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was always under the impression that G&M had some of the best crabcakes.

who're they?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#8]
G&M is by far the best crabcake I have ever had. It is right off of 695. Did u know that they are made by Timbucktoo over off of Rt 100. I think it is cokeacola drive. MMM best $11 crabcake you will ever eat.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Condiments are used to mask the taste of a so-so crabcake.  In my opinion, if you need a condiment, don't bother with the crabcake.  Go to McDonalds.  The flavor is in the meat.
Has anyone ever gone to the Seafood Market (one in Annapolis and a few others elswhere) and bought their large jumbo cake, costs about $9 or 10 each (last time I checked)?  The best!

Tell me more:  Do you pan fry it, then broil it?  I've tried it with fresh-squeezed lemon juice and it is delicious.  I was just checking to see if it is eaten any other way.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Nah.Make my own.Wife just cleaned out freezer and said we were down to 4 or 5 lbs!
next year,I'm going to pick out at least 20 lb!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:57:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
G&M is by far the best crabcake I have ever had. It is right off of 695. Did u know that they are made by Timbucktoo over off of Rt 100. I think it is cokeacola drive. MMM best $11 crabcake you will ever eat.

Isn't G&M on Hammonds Ferry Rd near the intersection with Nursery?  Right near Snyder's Willow Grove restraunt that you can see from the Beltway.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:56:43 AM EDT
[#12]
yes it is.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:26:30 AM EDT
[#13]
"Hella's", the old "Millersville Inn" has had some great crabcakes the last few years. They've been under different management from time to time, and sucked royally, but lately, the food has been very good, lunchtime, anyway.  It's off Veteran's Highway, near I-97 Exit 10 , near the old AA County police/fire station.

I work very near there and we treat ourselves to a cholesterol bomb for lunch about once a month . . . good flavor and almost more than I can eat.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Ocean Pride makes damn good cakes!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Since no one has mentioned it...Angelina's on Harford Road. And for the condiments...nothing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

+1 on both suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell me more:  Do you pan fry it, then broil it?  I've tried it with fresh-squeezed lemon juice and it is delicious.  I was just checking to see if it is eaten any other way.

There are all kinds of ways to do it,  i guess whatever floats your boat.  I simply broil it till its golden brown, then a little splash of lemon juice on it.  I like the taste of the crab meat itself (backfin, that is).
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I've eaten at Timbuktoo before, and funny you mentioned it, because I told my wife recently that I wanted to go back for their shrimp stuffed crab cakes.  Unfortunately, my wife didnt like that place, so it might take some work to get her there again.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
"Hella's", the old "Millersville Inn" has had some great crabcakes the last few years. They've been under different management from time to time, and sucked royally, but lately, the food has been very good, lunchtime, anyway.  It's off Veteran's Highway, near I-97 Exit 10 , near the old AA County police/fire station.

I work very near there and we treat ourselves to a cholesterol bomb for lunch about once a month . . . good flavor and almost more than I can eat.

I think I know the place.  Used to look like a dive, but now it looks like some sort of authentic greek resteraunt on that road which runs parallel to 97 north.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#20]
G&M is very good.

Cocktail sauce with alot of fresh white horse radish.

I don't know any place around the DC beltway.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
G&M is very good.

Cocktail sauce with alot of fresh white horse radish.

I don't know any place around the DC beltway.

I'm making a fresh batch tomorrow so I'll try that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#22]
G&M is definitely the best crabcake around, if you can finish a double crabcake platter you are badass, $21 seems kind of steep, but you have to try them to understand how big and good they are.  Right down the street from G&M's is The Olive Grove which is also owned by the owners of G&M's, their crabcakes are just as good as G&M's.  They also own another place in Glen Burnie, but I can't remember the name of it right now, I think it is The Sunset something or the other.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Since no one has mentioned it...Angelina's on Harford Road. And for the condiments...nothing.

Sorry, maybe I shouldn't say anything here but I have to give that a -1.  I've never actually eaten their crabcakes before but their prices are outrageous!  

Lately I've been getting mine from Milano's here in Parkville on Waltham Woods Rd.  They're about $11. and are pretty damn big.  They're under new management recently and have been using slightly more filler but are still really good.  

As far as condiments... I use only a tiny ammount of yellow mustard and lemon juice for a little extra flavor.  Old Bay is usually already cooked in but a little extra never hurts either.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Try them, you'll like them...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#25]

G&M is definitely the best crabcake around, if you can finish a double crabcake platter you are badass, $21 seems kind of steep, but you have to try them to understand how big and good they are. Right down the street from G&M's is The Olive Grove which is also owned by the owners of G&M's, their crabcakes are just as good as G&M's. They also own another place in Glen Burnie, but I can't remember the name of it right now, I think it is The Sunset something or the other.

The place in Glen Burnie is RAMANOS
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#26]
The Olive Tree in Abredeen on Rt22 off 95
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:15:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Bro Costal flats in tysons corner mall has a kick ass crab cake,,,,,,,, if you want to get snooty Mortons in bethesda also kicks but, but it aint cheep,,,

Oh yha I like mine being served by a bikini clad waitress with tarter sauce......

P.S   the crab cake at houstons in bethesda is very good

Hanna <---------------- this guy likes crab cakes.....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#28]
What is this G&M place?

BTW Calvert House Inn in Riverdale has a decent crab cake.  I have heard the ones at Annapolis Yaught Club are the best in the state but you can't eat there unless you are a member.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#29]
For those asking,

http://www.gandmcrabcakes.com/

and yes, they do make some of the best crabcakes you can buy.

-LeadPumper
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
What is this G&M place?

It's a little hole-in-the wall kinda place just off Nursery Road & 695.

Besides Crab Cakes (which they are known for) the pizza isn't bad (especially for MD) and the breakfast rocks (they use a really good breakfast sausage).
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the pointer to G&M.  Hope to visit there Saturday for lunch.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top