Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 4:04:51 AM EDT
Maryland residents...

I am making a trip down to WV from PA and the shortest track take me through your state.
What are the laws regarding possession of a handgun?
I checked packing.org and it looked like there are no peacable journey laws.

With no permit, am I basically out of luck?
It would seem that even if I have the weapon locked in a toolbox in teh back of the truck with no ammo I am still breaking the law. Is it really that bad down in MD?

At this point I suppose I need to drive a little longer and go directly into WV from PA.
Am I missing something?

Thanks for any input you guys have.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:37:36 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as you're on the way to a shooting event, you should be ok with it locked and stored separate from any ammo.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:03:49 AM EDT
[#2]
One piece of advice for travelling in MD:  UNLOAD YOUR MAGAZINES.

FACT: it appears to be LAWFUL in MD to have a loaded mag in your car. We have been over this one people; do a search before you disagree.

FACT: Many Maryland Law enforcement officers are under the BELIEF that loaded mag = loaded gun and they will arrest you if they find a loaded mag in your car. I am not saying that they are right or wrong, but that is just what most of them believe.  

I personally don't need the hassle. I live in VA; I just unload them prior to reaching the MD line.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I checked packing.org and it looked like there are no peacable journey laws.

Maryland doesn't need one - there already is a federal law on this - 1986 Gun Owners Protection Act.

It would seem that even if I have the weapon locked in a toolbox in teh back of the truck with no ammo I am still breaking the law. Is it really that bad down in MD?

No of course not.

If you are passing through the state - state law regarding transportation allows for it.

Just as it allows you to transport it as if you were going to the range, or hunting, or to a gunshow, or to display a collection, or going to a FFL/Gunshop/Gunsmith.

Just have the handgund unloaded and in a box/case of some kind.  And put that case in a spot where you can't easily reach it.  (like behind the seat in a pickup truck).
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. My concern is that I am going backpacking...not neccesarily shooting. I am bringing a trail gun. It would be transported in the original factory case, locked and unloaded, with the case being inside my locked toolbox in the bed of the truck.

I am just passing through the state for about 25 miles. Dont plan to stop off anywhere....just get in and then out. My trip starts in my home state where I am licenced to carry, and my destination is WV where unconcealed carry is legal. My understanding is that as long as I am legal on both ends of the trip, I can legally pass through.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. My concern is that I am going backpacking...not neccesarily shooting. I am bringing a trail gun. It would be transported in the original factory case, locked and unloaded, with the case being inside my locked toolbox in the bed of the truck.

I am just passing through the state for about 25 miles. Dont plan to stop off anywhere....just get in and then out. My trip starts in my home state where I am licenced to carry, and my destination is WV where unconcealed carry is legal. My understanding is that as long as I am legal on both ends of the trip, I can legally pass through.

You're fine.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:32:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top