Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2006 5:30:41 AM EDT
Hello all, I just got orders for 12 days to a conference in Pax River, in Solomons.  Is there anywhere to shoot nearby?  Any shops close that have good stocks of cool stuff?  Or should I just leave my toys at home for this trip?

Thanks,

Tom  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:04:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Theres a gun shop right across the street from the base called "The Tackle Box". Not sure about the local ranges though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I would leave the toys at home if your only coming for a short stay. The Tackle Box is accross from Gate #1.  Bring your wallet....they're high. They're also the guys who told me that my M4A3 was "restricted" just because it was a Bushmaster brand.  I went elsewhere and brought it home the same day.  According to them, if it isn't a "COLT HBAR", it's restricted. There's nobody there that really knows anything.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:08:09 AM EDT
[#3]
You can bring your toys but don't even take them on base at Pax, Solomons or Webster Field. There is NO place to shoot on the base(s) even tho there is an excellent indoor range at Pax.  You could shoot at Sanners Lake as a guest but there are some current insurance issues that need to be resolved. Sanners has a web site at Sanners-Lake.com. Go there and check the schedule for various types of shoots. They are open to the public provided you sign a "hold harmless" form first. IDPA is really popular, but go and look first. There are no shops around except the Jackle Box and they are way too much $$ and do not wiggle on prices.
Good luck. PM me for more info on Sanners if you want.

Quoted:
Hello all, I just got orders for 12 days to a conference in Pax River, in Solomons.  Is there anywhere to shoot nearby?  Any shops close that have good stocks of cool stuff?  Or should I just leave my toys at home for this trip?

Thanks,

Tom  

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Pax opens their indoor pistol range to the public one day a month, IIRC. They're required to since Congress passed a law in ~2004 that states all military small-arms ranges must be available for public use if certain conditions are met (not being used that day, safety, etc), but their implementation of the policy is rather lacking.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]
So they say, but the KOMMINDANT has refused to publish a schedule for open shoots. I think some of our MD hunting liscense fees go to construction of ranges, this one was one of them with Dyson making a big deal out of the original opening event. The long term secret plan was to isolate the range from the main base to allow folks to utilize the range without base access. If you know of a published schedule please tell us. I am retired Navy (31 years) and have base access but not to the indoor range.

Quoted:
Pax opens their indoor pistol range to the public one day a month, IIRC. They're required to since Congress passed a law in ~2004 that states all military small-arms ranges must be available for public use if certain conditions are met (not being used that day, safety, etc), but their implementation of the policy is rather lacking.

Kharn

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The date for the next month is published in the Tester, but its usually a small blurb buried deep inside. Or at least it was when I worked there until January 2004.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The date for the next month is published in the Tester, but its usually a small blurb buried deep inside. Or at least it was when I worked there until January 2004.

Kharn

Thanks,
I will check the Tester tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:10:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Thanks,
I will check the Tester tomorrow.

Nothing in this weeks Tester. Looked three times.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Try calling base security, they should know.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top