Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 4:39:54 AM EDT
I think I'm going to buy a handgun this month but I have no idea what I'm going to buy.  I'd like to go and feel some of 'em up but would like to find a gun shop that has quite a few under one roof.

I'll be looking in the the Frederick, MoCo, HoCo, PG, AA County areas.  Any ideas where the best selections are?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Atlantic Guns has a big selection at their Rockville and Silver Spring stores. There is also Gilberts Guns/Range in Rockville. I would recommend Atlantic over any of these.
There is a place in Burtonsville called The Gun Rack, but I get an eerie feeling everytime I go there, which has been only twice in my life. They required a photo-copy of my ID when I bought some 10mm ammo once. One day they were the only store in town that had a Surefire M-73 in stock so I had to go there to get it. I can't explain it, I just feel weird in there.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#2]
On Target in Odeton has a good selection, as does the Gun Rack in Burtonsville.

Close enough to hit both on one trip
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Shooter's Discount in Mt. Airy has a lot of handguns.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Christian Soldier in Parkville has a fair amount, BUT Rob's a great guy and if he doens't have what you want, he'll get it.

r
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#5]
The Armory in Annapolis has a pretty fair selection of handguns.  Hal had some USPs, SIGS, Glocks and plenty of 1911s when I was over there.

On Target has a pretty good selection as does Gun Rack.  Gun Rack had plenty of CZs the last time I was over there, if that's your speed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think I'm going to buy a handgun this month but I have no idea what I'm going to buy.  I'd like to go and feel some of 'em up but would like to find a gun shop that has quite a few under one roof.

I'll be looking in the the Frederick, MoCo, HoCo, PG, AA County areas.  Any ideas where the best selections are?

Thanks

I recommend checking out upcoming gun shows (larger selection, better deals):

Preston Jones Show - Carroll Co. - Jan 14, 15 (they do a larger show at the Timonium Fairgrounds Feb 10-12)
Silverado Show - PG Co. - Feb 18, 19
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I was at On Target this morning.  They had a fair selection, but their prices were very high.
They did have one pair of nice Kimber walnut grips for my Custom II, so I bought them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Is Chesapeake Guns in Stevensville (right after you cross the Bay Bridge) still in business?
When I used to go there, Mark (owner) had a TON of stuff, and good prices. ( For MD,that is.)

Mike
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There is a place in Burtonsville called The Gun Rack, but I get an eerie feeling everytime I go there, which has been only twice in my life. They required a photo-copy of my ID when I bought some 10mm ammo once. One day they were the only store in town that had a Surefire M-73 in stock so I had to go there to get it. I can't explain it, I just feel weird in there.

I know what you mean. I went there last year, they wanted me to log my name/DL#/address in a log book before I could buy some rifle ammo. Claimed it was "Montgomery County law." h
Photocopy my DL? Yeah, right. That's an express ticket to ID theft . . .If you're looking to buy a handgun, I say check the Gunsamerica/Gunbroker/Ordnance Outsellers-type websites for deals, then get an FFL to do the transfer.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:00:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Is Chesapeake Guns in Stevensville (right after you cross the Bay Bridge) still in business?
When I used to go there, Mark (owner) had a TON of stuff, and good prices. ( For MD,that is.)

Mike

Still there.  Bought my XD9 from him in July.  Both Chesapeake Guns and The Armory have a decent number of used/consignment guns to look at too, if you're looking for something that's out of the ordinary or discontinued.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:02:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got some good deals at the Gun Rack,but they were on used handguns/consignments.Last I bought there was Ruger Blackhawk in 45 LC(NIB).I got it so cheap,I wonder what they gave the original owner for it? (They bought his collection-he had one in every flavor).But,they are a rather surly bunch.I tried the door at like 11:58,and it was locked.Sign said they open at 12:00.Guy inside just pointed to the clock,then casually sashayed over to open it at 5 after.It went downhill from there.Big time! They did have a great deal on CZs last year,but only the 9s.Wouldn't cut me a break on the .40.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Second Chesapeake Guns,
Very friendly folks, run as a mom and son shop. Mark will work with you on prices, and is very good about getting anything you want.  I have bought a number of guns there.
Annapolis Armory is also a good shop, and the place to go for title 2 stuff around annap.
HTH
John F.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
On Target in Odeton has a good selection, as does the Gun Rack in Burtonsville.
Close enough to hit both on one trip

Those are my answers. On Target is a nicer shop... it's not crammed and doesn't have slot machines all over the place. I'm boycotting On Target for their lousy service though. The last purchase I made there about a year ago pissed me off. Hugh, the younger guy that works there was the only saving grace for that place. But he's not enough to make me send any more money Al's way.

The folks in On Target used to bug me, but I've since re-evaluated that position given their location (about a mile from HUD housing projects). The service in ther eis hit or miss. They can be very helpful or totally oblivious or just flat out pricks. Just depends on what did or did no crawl up their ass on that particular day.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Bel Air gun and pawn usually has a decent selection. Prices aren't the best, but nothing in MD is.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:14:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Bel Air gun and pawn usually has a decent selection. Prices aren't the best, but nothing in MD is.

+1
Service is spotty though - some days they are very helpful, some days they don't seem to be too interested in helping you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Shooter's Discount in Mt. Airy has a lot of handguns.

Are there now 2 gunshops in Mt. Airy or did the Gun Shack change it's name or owner?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:32:58 AM EDT
[#17]
for years I worked the doors at silverado gunshows and got to know the vendors pretty well,
you really cant get real great deals on firearms in md because the prices most of the vendors have to pay from the distributors,just think of me buying a gun for you and having to shop the gun from several different dealers,that would take time and what is time worth, Im an elevator man and make about 35$ an hour,so that would add alot to the price of the gun, most dealers in md put up with alot of sh@# from the distributors and the man, the people who own the gunrack are really good people ,they are just very dry in nature and have not much personality untill you become friends,they are kind of old school country type,talk to them a bit and get to know them they might not be able to give stellar deals on guns but they will make it up on accs and ammo

20inbushy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top