Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 6:45:02 PM EDT
I work in a gun shop in Florida.  My father lives in Maryland, and loves handguns (poor guy).  He's had his eye on a Kimber Super Match II, and I would like to buy it for him for Christmas.  Does anyone know if MD has any wacked out laws regarding giving firearms to immediate family?  Are there any registration or transfer issues I should be aware of?  Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know it has to be transferred to him from an FFL here in Maryland.  It depends on the dealer he goes through but sometimes they will let a private citizen ship from their home to them.  When shipping the pistol yourself(without an FFL) you need to OVERNIGHT it via UPS or Fedex, it cant go via USPS per their rules.  Hope this helps.

Joe
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:52:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking more along the lines of giving it to him when I went up there for Christmas.  So even as a gift, I have to go through a local FFL?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#3]
"Private firearms sellers (persons who are not licensed dealers) must process transfers of “regulated firearms” (handguns and assault weapons) through a licensed dealer or designated law enforcement agency. MD Code § 5-124(a)."

Source: MD State Law Summary

Applies to sale, rent, transfer, or purchase of a regulated firearm.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was thinking more along the lines of giving it to him when I went up there for Christmas.  So even as a gift, I have to go through a local FFL?

Yes - that is FEDERAL law.  All interstate transfers of handguns require going through a FFL, even to family members.

Also in MD the handgun must be on the 'approved roster' and if it's manufactured after a certain date have a built in safety lock.  I think since it's a family transfer you won't have to deal with the shell casings issue.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#5]
With a face to face transfer here in Maryland, you have to have it done by the Maryland State Police, I forget which barracks, but you have to pay them, have them do paperwork, then I think still the 8 day waiting period.  I could be wrong though.

Joe
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
then I think still the 8 day waiting period.  I could be wrong though.

Yep you don't ever get out of the 8 day waiting period.  I'm waiting right now on my 6.8 marked lower  <Grrrr>
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
With a face to face transfer here in Maryland, you have to have it done by the Maryland State Police, I forget which barracks, but you have to pay them, have them do paperwork, then I think still the 8 day waiting period.  I could be wrong though.

Joe

No, you're not wrong.
One can submit the transfer paperwork at any local MSP barracks, and it will get sent to "Licensing" in Jessup (Waterloo Barracks) for processing. Fee is $10, check or MO, no cash.

As Forest says, no way to escape the waiting period.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay, next question - Does the MSP take custody of the firearm during the 8 day wait?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Okay, next question - Does the MSP take custody of the firearm during the 8 day wait?

No, the seller holds it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:28:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I called Jessup about 2 years ago about this specific situation because my FIL had a .22 for my wife.

The Corporal who processes the paperwork said that for gifts within immediate family members registration is voluntary and he added, "But I don't know why anyone would do that."
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I think MSP is only for face to face of MD residents?  Interstate may still need to go through FFL.  GCA '68.  Prevents crime, blah blah blah.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't you also have to pay to watch the safety video somewhere?    Wondering why can't someone just  watch the safety video at MSP barracks instead     Because, gunstores are probably going to charge you even though you are doing the transfer w/ state police.    I hope they don't charge some ridiculous fee the way they do their transfers- $65 and up!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#13]
You only have to watch the stupid video once, and then you get a card that states that you have seen the safety video and never have to worry about it again.  While watching the video I counted at least 3 times where the guy holding the gun pointed it directly at his co-host while lecturing us on gun safety.

Joe
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:39:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Okay, it sounds like private transfer is a pain in the a$$.  Plan B: Does anyone know a decent shop in PG or Anne Arundel County that will do an FFL to FFL transfer?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:31:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Don't you also have to pay to watch the safety video somewhere?

No.

Quoted:
Wondering why can't someone just  watch the safety video at MSP barracks instead

You can.  See the schedule here.

Quoted:
Because, gunstores are probably going to charge you even though you are doing the transfer w/ state police.    I hope they don't charge some ridiculous fee the way they do their transfers- $65 and up!

While some FFLs do charge what I think are excessively high transfer fees, I haven't ever heard of one that charges for viewing the safety video.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You only have to watch the stupid video once, and then you get a card that states that you have seen the safety video and never have to worry about it again.  While watching the video I counted at least 3 times where the guy holding the gun pointed it directly at his co-host while lecturing us on gun safety.

I was also greatly disappointed with this so-called "safety" video.  If they are going to force us to receive safety training, then they should make sure that time is well-spent by making the training materials high quality.

For me personally, the video was just a waste of time because I had already learned more about firearms safety by reading online forums and attending an NRA course.  But there were two other people who viewed the video at the barracks at the same time I did for whom it was worse than a wast of time.  Both were planning on purchasing handguns, and both were parents with adolescent children.  They were trying to be responsible firearms owners and parents, so they also brought their children along in an effort to teach their children firearms safety.  They didn't have to bring their children, but they wanted the children to get some real safety training out of a genuine concern for their children.  Instead, all they got was the poor-quality, non-safe MSP "safety" video.  What a shame.

I hope they took their children to some real safety classes later on.  But I wouldn't be surprised if they were so disillusioned by the MSP "safety" video sham that they decided that other courses would be just as bad and didn't bother.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Okay, it sounds like private transfer is a pain in the a$$.  Plan B: Does anyone know a decent shop in PG or Anne Arundel County that will do an FFL to FFL transfer?

Your father will still have to go through all the "safety" video,  waiting period, etc. stuff either way.  But to answer your question more directly, Clayton Otto in Glen Burnie is a good choice for an FFL transfer in Anne Arundel County.  His rates are reasonble ($30 or $35 these days, I think) and he is "evil black rifle" friendly:

Otto's Police Supply
514 Crain Hwy, N. Ste 1
Glen Burnie, MD 21061

phone: (410) 760-9092

I've done business with him a couple of times.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Okay, it sounds like private transfer is a pain in the a$$.  

The procedure is the same everwhere - the only difference is cost.  I think you'll find the MSP to be the least expensive route.

One note - if your FIL is a veteran and has a copy of his DD-214, then he can skip the video and show that instead.

I flatly refuse to watch the video and have done all my 'regulated weapon' purchase via my '214.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top