Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 6:44:35 PM EDT
Where are there 400 yard or longer ranges available to Md residents? I guess some military bases have them, but are there some available to the public?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#1]
There are some 200-300 yard ranges I know of, but you have to belong to a club to use them(Thurmont Gun club and there is one near Baltimore). Ft. Mead has a range on it(I belive 600+). but only for Mil and DOD. There is a 1000 yard range in western MD. Its a long range shooting school.. can't remeber the name. I've talked to people who have taken classes there but its been a few years.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
There are some 200-300 yard ranges I know of, but you have to belong to a club to use them(Thurmont Gun club and there is one near Baltimore). Ft. Mead has a range on it(I belive 600+). but only for Mil and DOD. There is a 1000 yard range in western MD. Its a long range shooting school.. can't remeber the name. I've talked to people who have taken classes there but its been a few years.

If we're of thinking the same thing, the 1,000 yard range near western MD is actually "Storm Mountain Training Center, Storm Mountain, WV. Othewise, I don't know of any out that way.

Yes, Ft. Meade's Range 1 goes to 600yards (meters?), but access has been limited, Maryland Rifle & Pistol Club has main control over the "civilian access", and I think you're right; mainly active mil, .guv & DOD types.

The "Meade Natural Heritage Foundation, the "hunting club access", used to get the ranges from time to time, but I don't know if they still do. When they did, it was a struggle to get long shots, since the main crowd are hunters and they want to shoot their slug guns and muzzleloaders at 50 to 75 yards. Even if you can schedule Range 1, good luck getting them to back up. . .

Quantice MCB has ranges to 1,000, but requires a couple of active duty Marines to sponsor you to join the Quantico Shooting Club. Nice group of guys to shoot with. You can find their site online and sign up for the waiting list. As more Marines become available, they pair them with waiting civvies. The customary way to offset this favor to you is by you buying their first year membership. Fee schedules are at the site. If you find your own sponsors, you don't have to wait on the list.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I belonged to Associated gun clubs of Baltimore inc. The 200 yard range is called the Patapsco Range, nice range, 200 yd rifle, 100 yd rifle combo pistol, black powder, has about 80 or so lanes.
Skeet range, bow range and pistol range, 2 clubhouses and lots of events even for kids.
I believe the site address is www.associatedgunclubs.org you can phone them 410-461-9864.
Not a shameless plug for them, I like the range there just haven't had the 170 buck a year dues. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I looked around some, since I can always use a long range place to shoot.
Gary may be mistaken about getting to 1,000, or there may be two places. I think the "other" western MD range that offers long shots, to 600 yards, is:

Fort Hill Rifle and Pistol Club, Inc.
Morningside Drive
Cumberland, MD 21502
300 Blackstone Ave.
Cumberland, MD 21502
Phone: 301-724-7838
The following are open to the public:
Monday, 6pm, league black powder shoots.
Tuesday morning and evening, league pistol shoots.
Every other Thursday, 6pm, league big bore rifle shoots.
Friday, 6pm, league small bore rifle shoots.

Maybe the "big bore rifle shoots" go to long range, dunno.

From the MD DNR website.MD DNR; Ranges
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for posting back with that info, I may have to look into that one myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top