Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2005 11:32:32 AM EDT
I just did a transfer through John C. Rhines. It was a great experience. Mr. Rhines is a great guy and very knowledgable. He is aslo a gunsmith and is very technically proficient. He was friendly and knew back and forth every ATF regulation. He charges $30 for regulated firearms and $15 for non-regulated firearms. Also, he does this primarily to support the Second Amendment as regulated weapons transfers are a loss leader for him.

I reccomend him highly and will do all my transfers through him in the future.

His Contact information is

[email protected]

and he lives in Darnestown.

ETA: he showed me his owen Ar rifle and it had a sweet trigger due to the trigger job he did himself. He will also give gunsmithing lessons for $35 an hour. He is definitly not Ar shy, I saw at least a few Ar's he was working on in his shop.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I thought Atlantic and Gilbert's were the only game in town. $75 for a transfer is absurd!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#2]
No problem. Maybe a few of us MoCo. guys can do a group buy on stripped lowers especially since the prices are starting to get ridiciously low.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I emailed him this afternoon about my AR15 receiver I need to get and he responded in under 3 hours  Just gotta email him back the address for RBPrecision for my Superior Arms Receiver.  Hes only about 20 minutes away from me which is great.  I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Joe
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I would put in more information, but he told me not to state his phone number. It is available on the whitepages.com. This guy is totally familiar with the transfer process.

Mil-Surp-Phreak, did you get his e-mail from my post?

The only negative aspect of doing business with Mr. Rhines is that sometimes he is unavailable because of his consulting business. But you can't beat his expertise or friendliness.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#6]
If this is his loss leader what other gun related services doe he offer that make him money?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#7]
WHOOOOOT!!!!

Don't need him now, but I will definitely file that away.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Hes a gunsmith by day, transferee by afternoon? lol Anyways, my lower should be there tomorrow or monday and then just have to wait

Joe
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Hi,
 I'm a noob.
 When buying through Rhines, do you pay any kind of Maryland state/county tax? I am interested in buying a rifle from a seller on gunbroker.com and so, I understand you pay the seller the price plus shipping. Correct me if I'm wrong, you just pay $30 to Rhines and that's it?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't asked him, but you should NOT have to pay sales tax to the local FFL.  You are paying the purchase price to a person out of state, and only paying the FFL money for a service (which is not taxable in MD)
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:38:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I was told flat $30 dollars for my AR15 receiver which is a regulated firearms here in glorious Marland.  Should be here tomorrow.

Joe
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I have personally transfered a few weapons through him.  He has also done a little work on one of my weapons.  He is cheap for transfers and KNOWS his stuff.  I would highly recomend him (especially over a store that wants to charge you $60 for a transfer).  

-C4-
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#13]
OK. So, you need to contact Rhines first, get his FFL and shipping info to give to the gun seller. You pay the seller for the gun, the seller ships it to Rhines, and then you pick up the weapon from Rhines or he delivers it? You pay Rhines when you pick up the weapon?
Rhines is only responsible for handing the package over to the buyer? The seller opens up the package to inspect the contents or Rhines has to open the package to confirm what was shipped as a firearm license holder? If the weapon was damaged during delivery, you return it to the seller through Rhines? Or Rhines will do it before you even see it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Does the $30 include the $10 MSP fee?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
OK. So, you need to contact Rhines first, get his FFL and shipping info to give to the gun seller. You pay the seller for the gun, the seller ships it to Rhines, and then you pick up the weapon from Rhines or he delivers it? You pay Rhines when you pick up the weapon?
Rhines is only responsible for handing the package over to the buyer? The seller opens up the package to inspect the contents or Rhines has to open the package to confirm what was shipped as a firearm license holder? If the weapon was damaged during delivery, you return it to the seller through Rhines? Or Rhines will do it before you even see it?

You would probably have to pick it up from him - in fact if it's regulated, you have to make 2 trips - 1 to start the paperwork, and 1 after the waiting period is over, to pick up the gun.

I assume he has to open the package to log in the xfer.

The other details you can probably work out with him.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Does the $30 include the $10 MSP fee?

n

Yes. $30 for everything.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
...  Just gotta email him back the address for RBPrecision for my Superior Arms Receiver.  ....

You do know that the ATF recently ruled that a FAX'ed FFL is good enough right?  Yep, that's right he can fax the FFL in.  Now, if the RBPrecision requires a "real" FFL that's different, but as far as the gov goes, faxed is OK.

Rich
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah he faxed it over, and it should be there tomorrow....RBPrecision got swamped and misplaced my order till 2 days ago.  No big deal, just gave me time to stock up on other AR goodies
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I exchanged emails with Mr. Rhines a few months back asking about buying a handgun from out of state.  Ended up buying locally because I found a reasonable deal, but he was very responsive and helpful.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top