Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 6:44:00 PM EDT
I live in Howard County MD.  I was just wondering about the legality of storing a long gun (rifle/shotgun) in the trunk of a car that belongs to me, unloaded and locked up.  Does the law with this only permit doing this for transporting a weapon, or is it legal to store a weapon there as a "trunk gun" ?  How does the law differ here for regulated weapons, such as pistols and "assault rifles" ?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to be on your way to the range, place of purchase or repair, or something like that.  MD has no peaceable journey laws.

From packing.org:  (I assume this is the same for a long gun)

www.packing.org/state/maryland/#statecar_law

I'm sure someone will be along to post the actual MD statement.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You have to be on your way to the range, place of purchase or repair, or something like that.  MD has no peaceable journey laws.

From packing.org:  (I assume this is the same for a long gun)

www.packing.org/state/maryland/#statecar_law

I'm sure someone will be along to post the actual MD statement.

It's about the same as a long gun.

You have to be very carful tredding these waters.  A guy I went to high school with ended up getting charge for transporting a "concealed weapon" while we where in school.  It was a baseball bat in the trunk of his car.  I do not know the hole story that had him (the officer) check the trunk of his car but he was arrested and charged.  It was later thrown out in court for some reason in conjucntion to having a good  lawyer.

Maryland has a retreat if you have an opening mentality when it comes to self defense.  If you do keep a long gun in your cars trunk it had better not be one with a detachable magazine. ANd you better be as right as rain if you have to use it.  

Read the statutes for you county and the state before you venture into this area.

Watch your ass and be safe.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the packing.org article only refers to handguns.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That would be my assumption as well, but I can't seem to find anything specifically for non-regulated long guns.  I'd rather know before trying it than rely on a perceived legal loophole, though.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be my assumption as well, but I can't seem to find anything specifically for non-regulated long guns.  I'd rather know before trying it than rely on a perceived legal loophole, though.  

Check the library and /or talk with the Maryland State Police.  They have a guy at the Waterloo Barrack who's only function is to answer such questions  Just get his name and have him give you the statute(s) so you can look it up for your self so you can know it front words and back words.

If you have one and are seen with it by the police and they articulate just right in there report you are in a world of hurt until you go to court.  There are several laws on the books concerning weapons of any type that have been re-written to reflect Law enforcment's and the D.A. interpitation of the law at the time of arrest so it can be decided in court. ie the lenght of a knife balde is no longer in statute just having a pocket knife with a 1 inch blade can be a no no if the officer writes a good editorial to validate his arrest of you.

If you are in the middle of Baltimore you will have issues.  If your in the middle of nowhere you will have a different reaction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top