Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 8:29:02 AM EDT
I was supposed to be leasing some hunting property with some other guys, but for various reasons that fell through at the last minute, so it's hunting on State land for me this year. Thinking about Elk Neck State Forest... rifle legal, and no permit needed. My greatest concern is being surrounded by Yahoos. I'll probably avoid opening day, but I'm curious about hunter density, access, and any other details anyone might be willing to share.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I've never hunted Elk Neck before but I do hunt public land.  Have you ever hunted public land before?  I would say that opening day is the day to go.  Deer are moving like crazy that day.  Many hunters.  YOu just have to scout to know where the hunters don't like to go and where the deer do to get away from the hunters.  A lot of private land hunters will tell you that public land people are yahoos.  In general that is wrong.  I would say a max of 10% of people who hunt public land are yahoos.  The good news is they don't scout, and they don't go far off the main path.  Even then, I would still say you have little to worry abou in the way of getting injured.  Any more questions about public land and I'll do my best to answer them.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, only 10% of the rounds may find their way to you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Like I said I've been hunting public land ever since I started hunting and have never heard or seen any type of accident as a result of careless use of a firearm.

That is not to say that I wouldn't love the opportunity to hunt private land to get away from all the people.  It is just a different ball game on public land than private.  You'll get more decent bucks on private land and you'll get a lot more does and dinks on public.  Since that is all I got, beggers can't be choosers.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Like I said I've been hunting public land ever since I started hunting and have never heard or seen any type of accident as a result of careless use of a firearm.

That is not to say that I wouldn't love the opportunity to hunt private land to get away from all the people.  It is just a different ball game on public land than private.  You'll get more decent bucks on private land and you'll get a lot more does and dinks on public.  Since that is all I got, beggers can't be choosers.

I'm in Harford County.... willing to hear any suggestions you might have on a good place to go. My limited hunting experience has been on private land when I've been invited. I was going to spring for a lease this year, but that fell through. I definately plan on scouting in advance of the season.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:43:49 AM EDT
[#5]
My one and only experience in Public Land hunting was down at Cherry Grove in southern Cecil county. I was scoping what I thought was a deer. It turned out to be some asshat with tan overalls on crawling along the edge of a thicket. When I climbed down and said something about "where the hell is your orange at?" He unzipped to show me a Bright Orange T-shirt. Needless to say it scared me enough to never return to public land again.

Josh, you mention that under your observations only 10% of the people out there are YAHOO's. I am pretty certain that those 10% are in the field 100% of the time...

If anybody does shoot on public land - Please be careful!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually those YAHOOS tend to only come out during the first day of firearms season.  They're pretty much there till noon.  That is usually the peak for asshat season.  After that it drops off dramatically.  There are still a bunch of hunters around but they are of better quality.  Wear your hunter orange and you should be fine.  I usually like to have it on my head and a vest in orange.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't say I have observed unsafe acts by the aforementioned yahoos and asshats, but what I have seen is this. They move into the woods just before sun-up, smoking and making all kinds of noise and ignore the fact that someone is sitting less than 20 yards from them.

ETA- Even after you make subtle noises to let them know of your presence.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top