Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2005 6:54:14 PM EDT
Have any of you guys tried to get CLEO sign-off on an ATF Form 1 for a SBR in Montgomery County?

Just wondering if I should even try, and if so which to go to:  Montgomery County PD, Sherrif's Office or State Police?

Thanks for any advice,
Dave
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's what I recently learned about CLEO signoffs from a series or Web inquiries, emails, and phonecalls with the MSP.  Accurate as of about 3 weeks ago.  Unfortunately I got it straight just as I got deployed.  

CLEO for all NFA weapons in Maryland is the Maryland State Police.  
You will need to get all of your forms (Form 1 or Form4, Citizenship Certification, and 2 FBI blue fingerprint cards) filled out and take them with you to the MSP.  Fingerprinting can be done at any MSP Barracks, but I was told I needed to go to Jessup to file the other paperwork.  

MSP will print you on their own card (orange I was told) and use that for their background check.  On approval, they sign the back of your form, and forward it up with your other cards and Citizenship paperwork.  As far as I can tell it's not a discretionary process, but I don't know what is involved with the "background check" but they estimated it would take up to 60 days for the MSP to do it.  Eventually is returned to you for forward to BATFE.  There your second wait begins.  

I can't for the life of me remember the POC there, but it was one of the Troopers (Corporal?) that worked for a 1st Sgt Davis.  They were both in the Licensing Division IIRC.  Hope that helps.  

It's entirely possible the whole process has changed since then, since I can't even find the phone # I called on the website anymore.  If anyone else has newer information, I'd like to hear it also.  Maybe someone can call Jessup and get the latest scoop.  I'm planning to go down and file my application when I get back, or even better if/when I get mid-deployment leave.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats correct.
Go to a State Troopers get 2 blue and 1 orange fingerprint cards.
Go to the Montgomery County Police to get fingerprinted. The state guys never print when you need it.
Print the form 1 in duplicate, get 2 passport photos.  Fill out form 1's attach pics and bring all to
the State Police in Jessup. It's the building on the right, bring a check.
Wait   30 days the police will send you back the form 1's signed.
Send both signed forms and the 2 blue cards to the ATF.....wait....wait.....wait.....have children....wait
One day the ATF will send your form 1 back signed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thats correct.
Go to a State Troopers get 2 blue and 1 orange fingerprint cards.
Go to the Montgomery County Police to get fingerprinted. The state guys never print when you need it.
Print the form 1 in duplicate, get 2 passport photos.  Fill out form 1's attach pics and bring all to
the State Police in Jessup. It's the building on the right, bring a check.
Wait   30 days the police will send you back the form 1's signed.
Send both signed forms and the 2 blue cards to the ATF.....wait....wait.....wait.....have children....wait
One day the ATF will send your form 1 back signed.

Thanks for the info Bryan.  So MSP sends the stuff back to you for forward to ATF.  I'll edit my post; the Troopers I talked to weren't clear on that.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, guys, for all the great info.  I'm off to get paperwork started .............

Regards,
Dave

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top