Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2004 2:20:20 PM EDT
I'm going to pick up a Walther P22 and I'm looking for a gun shop recommendation in Maryland.  I live in Montgomery County but have found most of the local gun stores I've visited in past years to be snobby or a royal PIA.  If anyone has a recommendation that is competitively priced and are good people to deal with - I'd appreciate the recommendation.

Thanks,
CWO
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Try this place:
http://www.gilbertindoorrange.com/index.htm
and I also deal with Atlantic guns in Downtown Silver Spring -
Stay away from the Gun Rack in Burtonsville
Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 6:02:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Let me know what you find out from Gilberts.  Their retail store on Rockville Pile (now closed I've heard) told me once they charge $100 for transfers, that was a few years ago.

Atlantic guns in Rockville charged me $40 last time, but they'd rather sell you a gun, and may not do it for a new gun or one they sell.

I wish this was like the old days where anyone could get an FFL, I'd get one just to do xfers without being an asshole about it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 7:37:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I received the same "$100 transfers" story from Gilberts - also a few years ago.  Another local shop told me they wanted $75 for a transfer and would only do it on a firearm that they "didn't have or couldn't get".  I interpreted that to mean that they would be a real PIA about it.  IMO - such attitude from a retail gun shop is worse than State Police paperwork and a waiting period.  I'm not going to honor a store with a new purchase when they have jerked me around on a transfer.

I appreciate the responses.

CWO
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I used Bel Air Gun & Pawn (in Bel Air) to transfer a 700P when they had three in the exact same configuration I wanted in stock (but at a much higher price due to my finding a distributor having a sale).  They're a little bit of a drive from Montgomery County, but will help you out.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#5]
You might also want to try King's Mountain or Shooter's Discount in Baltimore County.

King's Mountain is a three man operation that works gunshows and the internet without an actual public storefront, so overhead is kept to a bare minimum. Matt, the owner, is a professed Christian (and gentleman) that actually acts like one. The number is (410) 242-6678 and the best time to call is after 5 pm eastern or so on weekdays.

Shooter's Discount is also a three man operation that works a public storefront and gunshows, but in a technological stoneage with no internet access. Louie, the owner, is a bit gruff and unpolished until he gets to know you but as straight and honerable as dealers come. The number is (410) 247-6757 from 11 am eastern on Wed thru Sat.

I mention the owners simply because the employees at both establishments are a bit "different" in that some seem to be people that are simply friends or family of the owners, not necessarily professional gun sales reps. A lot of times it seemed that my questions were simply relayed to a manager or owner, so why not ask directly?
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Putneyswope ~ thanks for your recommendations!

CWO
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 5:32:38 AM EDT
[#7]
bump- any update?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:00:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I deal with Gunrunners in Frederick.  He's a great guy to deal with and has very reasonable transfer fees.  Usually less than $40 including the MSP fee.

$100 for a transfer is ridiculous.

edit:
Gunrunners
47 E Patrick St
Frederick, MD 21701
(301) 662-5912
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I use Neil at NSK sales in Boring, NW Baltimore county.   $25 for the transfer.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I stopped by at the Gilbert's range yesterday to drop off some flyers.  Talked to a guy behind the counter about xfers, he said that the owner doesn't like doing them, because you need to keep a copy of the sender's FFL (???) and sometimes they lose paperwork (!!!!) and then they get fined, so they charge $75 for range members and $175 for non-members.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

sometimes they lose paperwork (!!!!)

Oh, that's a good one!  Do  they only lose paperwork for transfers, and not direct sales?  Or the maybe the BATF doesn't care about lost paperwork for direct sales, but only worries about keeping transfer paperwork in order?  

"Sorry Mr. BATF Agent, but we lost our bound book."

"No problem, we never look at those things anyway.  As long as you have all the FFL copies from transfers you've done."

What an incredibly lame excuse.

Translation:  "We'd rather you spent twice the MSRP on our pathetic selection of in-stock firearms.  Look at this neato-keen blued hardwood 10-22 here.  Wouldn't that be much nicer than an evil black AR-15?  And we'll only charge you $451.50 - just 75% above MSRP.  What a bargain, huh?  But you better do little groveling first and lick my boots, otherwise I might not be in the mood to sell even that to you."

Just another rotten Maryland gun dealer who wants to jack you on price for the privilege of shopping at his "esteemed" establishment.  It seems that most Maryland dealers won't be bothered to order something they don't stock, and charge significant premiums over the MSRP for what they do stock.  Pathetic, and too bad for us.  Is it too much to ask for some actual service from the so-called full service dealers?  Hell, if you are paying 50% over MSRP, you ought to get something...

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm going to pick up a Walther P22 and I'm looking for a gun shop recommendation in Maryland.  I live in Montgomery County but have found most of the local gun stores I've visited in past years to be snobby or a royal PIA.  If anyone has a recommendation that is competitively priced and are good people to deal with - I'd appreciate the recommendation.

Thanks,
CWO

As far as transfers go, I've used Clyde's Sport Shop in Lansdowne (just inside SW Balt. Beltway, near I-95) with good success.  IIRC longs are $35.00, add $10.00 for MSP if needed.  They mostly carry hunting rifles, shotguns, handguns, ammo, etc.  No AR/military-style stuff that I noticed, but Clyde is a decent guy who likes to shoot the breeze and not snotty like so many other shop owners.

Another guy that may be worth mentioning is Clayton Otto of Otto's Police Supply (see tacked thread in MD Hometown).  I haven't done any business with him, but I did talk to him for awhile at the Silverado Gun Show back in September.  Seems like a good guy, although I don't know whether he has a store front yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top