Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2004 6:29:26 PM EDT
Looking for a good restaurant in DC or on the free side of the river, but I figger DC probably will have the best. I mean REALLY good, I mean maybe $40 a person or more without wine and well worth it. Also, unless it's extraordinary, no chains.

One caveat: I don't eat seafood (except the occasional sushi) nor pork.

Most cuisines, however, I like. Thai, Italian, any middle eastern, Indian, French (boeuf bourgignion... mmmmmmmm...), American, Mexican, Peruvian, Chinese, Japanese. But not Ethiopian. It just doesn't taste right.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Looking for a good restaurant in DC or on the free side of the river, but I figger DC probably will have the best. I mean REALLY good, I mean maybe $40 a person or more without wine and well worth it. Also, unless it's extraordinary, no chains.

One caveat: I don't eat seafood (except the occasional sushi) nor pork.

Most cuisines, however, I like. Thai, Italian, any middle eastern, Indian, French (boeuf bourgignion... mmmmmmmm...), American, Mexican, Peruvian, Chinese, Japanese. But not Ethiopian. It just doesn't taste right.

The best restaurant I've found in the area is Panino in Manassas VA.  Last time my wife and I ate there we got out of there for about $200 including a fairly expensive bottle of wine and desserts for both of us..  I had a 'mixed grill' that was quail, bison spareribs and venison sausage.  Everything was excellent and the deserts were the absolute best I've ever tasted anywhere.

Don't let the location or external appearance fool you, it is excellent.  

Reservations are required.

www.washingtonian.com/dining/Profiles/paninoAugust_2003.html
manassas.va.dinerate.com/panino-restaurant~116464

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Ethiopian food? You mean like MREs with UN AID marked on them?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That's what I think everytime I see an Ethipian restaurant.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:12:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Nah, it's this really wierd spongy-pancakey bread and lots of cold and odd sauces with a tiny bit of cold and odd meat. At least, that's what I've seen.

ETA: Combat_Jack, wtf are you doing in the DC forum? Don't you live in Washington STATE?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:16:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, Washington state. But its late, and Active Topics is quiet. I visited DC once, nice museums, but I didn't much care for it. Got to tour the White House even. Pretty fucking cool!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:28:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Mortons Steak house. It is awesome. There are several in the DC and NVA areas. Beats ruth chris by far.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#7]
You mean the chain Morton's of Chicago?

ETA: Any place around here that does a good Bananas Foster for dessert?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:22:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I think everytime I see an Ethipian restaurant.  

Don't think I've ever seen an ethiopian resteraunt, but I tell you the new MRE's we're getting now are better than the DFAC on most days, here at Al Asad, Iraq.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Looked in the Washingtonian 100 best...

Though out of my previously set price range, Gerard's Place and Michel Richard's Citronelle sound good... anybody here eaten there? What about The Prime Rib in Foggy Bottom?

As a side note, how the hell can I learn the geography of this confusing tangle? I know that there are numbered and lettered streets downtown, and I can find Capitol Hill and maybe blunder my way to Georgetown, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry MagKnight.... DC was initially designed that way on purpose to confuse the British if they ever attacked.   Don't worry, once you get the hang of it and get the feel for where everything is in position to each other, DC is pretty easy to navigate.  

To make the learning curve easier, try driving around after 9:00pm  the downtown streets are pretty much deserted by then.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:55:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top