Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2004 11:05:23 AM EDT
Just wanted to share this reply to an e-mail that I sent to Senator Sarbanes of Maryland before the Assault Weapons Ban expired.  Here it is:

“Thank you for contacting my office to express your concerns about the Assault Weapons Ban, which expired on September 13, 2004. I appreciate having the benefit of your views on this important issue. As you may know, the Assault Weapons ban was established by the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, which was signed into law on September 13, 1994. This legislation forbade the manufacture, sale, or possession of nineteen assault-style weapons typically used in criminal activity. You should know it is my belief that assault weapons are more suitable for harming people than hunting or target shooting and are used by criminals to commit violent crimes against police officers and ordinary citizens. Therefore, I must tell you frankly that I am a co-sponsor of S. 1431, which would extend the assault weapons ban and include several other types of assault weapons, not currently covered by the ban, within its parameters. Since its introduction in the United States Senate on July 17, 2003, S. 1431 has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee and no further action has been taken. Although we may not fully agree on these issues, you may be sure that I will continue to consider the interests of hunters, target shooters, and people who use firearms for authorized security purposes as the Senate considers this legislation. Again, thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts to me on this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or other matters that may be of concern to you. With Thanks for contacting me, in the future please visit my web site at http://sarbanes.senate.gov rather than clicking reply. “

So it would be worthwhile staying to touch with our Senators and letting them know how we feel and that we vote
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to AR15.com & the MD board, steed.  Thanks for the info.

Rest assured that MDs Senators care little to nothing how you as a gunowner feel.  The are reflexively anti-gun.  I don't want to discourage anyone calling them, but don't get your hopes up.  

Note these lines:

"Although we may not fully agree on these issues, you may be sure that I will continue to consider the interests of hunters, target shooters, and people who use firearms for authorized security purposes as the Senate considers this legislation"

In other words, you can still have bolt action .30 30s, maybe, with cast lead bullets, maybe, until we ban those, too.

Register, vote (EJ Pipkin) and get the current clowns out.

BTW, what part of MD are you in?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#2]
By and large I agree that Md Senators are anti-gun.  There are a few exceptional Senators that have fought and continue to fight for our gun ownership rights.   Specifically Alex Mooney and Nancy Jacobs, both really kicked ass last Feb fighting the attempt at a Maryland AWB.  And especially John Gianetti, whos swing vote killed the vote on SB288.   James Brochin was a major scumbag in his attempts to manipulate the scheduling of the proceedings to suit the anti crowd.  In the end the whiners failed and sanity prevailed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:56:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would like to also welcome you steed99 to the forum.

Thanks for contacting a MD rep as well.

I truly think I am going to go on a letter writing campaign to ALL MD elected officials and tell then why exactly I chose to move OUT of MD. Why I chose NOT to pay taxes to a state that is antigun, why I chose to not pay their salaries and finally why I chose NOT to vote for them this year.

I am sure that will get some type of thought, though I know it will not change their minds. It may help them realize what they are doing.

You have to understand, that not only wil they not care but as a gun owner they're happy to see you leave their state one less gun owner standing in thier way ot total domination.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:04:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
By and large I agree that Md Senators are anti-gun.  There are a few exceptional Senators that have fought and continue to fight for our gun ownership rights.   Specifically Alex Mooney and Nancy Jacobs, both really kicked ass last Feb fighting the attempt at a Maryland AWB.  And especially John Gianetti, whos swing vote killed the vote on SB288.   James Brochin was a major scumbag in his attempts to manipulate the scheduling of the proceedings to suit the anti crowd.  In the end the whiners failed and sanity prevailed.

Steed99 and v_r were referring to our two federal level senators ...both of whom are very anti-gun.  Those you referenced are state level senators.  I will agree with you though, there are several who are on our side, at least part of the time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#6]
You're right.  I was thinking State only.    Yeah, I agree.    No love at the Federal level.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top