Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2004 3:51:57 PM EDT
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=280763

Buncha out of staters are trying to tell me you can't buy a high cap mag in another state and bring it in to MD.

If anyone wants to chip in, or has anything to add, feel free, or PM me if you have any further links/support.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not really sure if transfer means to "import" or to "sell"?  The way the law is written leaves some question. The law grandfathers the mags all ready in possession, that much is clear.
Sorry, but I just can't say with any certainty.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:56:06 AM EDT
[#2]
The law states

§ 4-305. Detachable magazines - Prohibited.

(a)  Scope of section.- This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine.  

(b)  Prohibited.- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.  

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36H-5(b); 2002, ch. 26, § 2.]  

from MD Law

I do not know how they can prove you did not posess the mags prior to the law.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:10:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey V_R, I believe you are correct. It's my understanding that you CAN in fact purchase a "high cap" and bring it in to MD.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The Maryland State Police TELL people to go out of state and buy mags.

Maryland can't regulate what you do in another state.

Once you buy the mags, you are just returning home with YOUR OWN PROPERTY.

Nothing illegal about that.

It's the same as if you brought hicaps up to a shoot in PA, and returned home with them at the end of the day
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#5]
You're not allowed to buy, sell or TRANSFER them in MD.  If you buy them in another state and bring them in, you havnt bought, sold or transfered them IN MD
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:51:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, I think that one got settled.  I hope that dealers post 9/13 won't have problems shipping mags up to 20 rounders into MD.

I know I had an issue with Cheaper than Dirt, won't sell me AR 20 rounders because they say the police try to cram 21 rounds into them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I've tried to correct several internet dealers on the issue you are talking about.
Most of them don't have the time to research our laws.
I actually send them e-mails with the link to the law.
Don't know if it has helped or not.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Pardon me if off topic, but how will handgun magazines in MD be affected by the AWB sunset (if at all)?
Is the 20 round detachable magazine limit just for rifles?

Does the 10 round limit for handguns come from AWB or MD state law?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#9]
20 round limit for any gun.

So at least you'll be able to buy new 17 round Glock mags after the Sunset, just not 33 rounders.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#10]
You have always been able to buy 20rounds or less mags.
Somewhere someone started saying that handgun mags were limited to 10 rounds.
This is not true.
They/you can't make them, but all the pre-bans are available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top