Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2004 6:07:53 AM EDT
What are the laws on making your own private range on your property in MD? I can't seem to find the answers on the net. Is it legal to shoot in your basement with the proper equipment?

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 7:48:16 AM EDT
[#1]
These are the only relevant statutes I could find via a quick search:

§ 10-410. Restrictions on hunting wildlife generally.  

(g)  Shooting or disturbing wildlife within safety zones.- A person, other than the owner or occupant, while hunting for any wild bird or mammal may not shoot or discharge any firearm or other deadly weapon within 150 yards, known as the "safety zone," of a dwelling house, residence, or other building or camp occupied by human beings, or shoot at any wild bird or mammal while it is within this area, without the specific advance permission of the owner or occupant.

§ 5-510. Prohibited uses.  

Except as provided in this subtitle, a person may not use any land located within any airport zoning district created under this subtitle for any:

(4) Rifle range or private landing field that would interfere with the health, safety, or general welfare of the public in the use of the airport;

Of course, I am not a lawyer and don't claim these to be definitive.  You can search and read Maryland law for yourself here.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:07:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Alot of it would depend on WHERE in MD you are.  Certain areas are more tolerant than others. If you are near DC in Monky or PG county, you can just about forget it.  I do have several friends in rural Baltimore Co and Carroll that can shoot on thier land, both are surrounded by farms.  What county are you in and do you have neighbors close by?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:44:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Down in Calvert County you just have to tell everyone within 150 yards of where you will be shooting.
I shot on an ex-GF's property (until one neighbor said it was too much) after asking the cops and one of the guys in my development, on his first Saturday in the new house put a clay thrower down by the pool and started dusting clays in his back yard (he was the only house on a cul-de-sac at that time, throwing the clays over a big gravel pit bordering on his back yard with a backstop of thick woods).  The state cops told my other neighbor to pound sand after he called the local po-po multiple times then called the state cops a couple times until a trooper finally came out to look at the situation and the guy was found to be 200+ yards from any other house.

Go ask your local police/sheriff's office, there's a walk-up window for questions just like this.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top