Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2003 1:24:47 PM EDT
I've had an offer from DTI Inc to hold some training here in MD.  They offer the usual courses like handgun, urban rifle, and urban shotgun.

However the one course that has really interested me is their "Treatment of Gunshot Wound Course".

Here is a description of the One Day course:

Our course is based upon Tactical Medicine principles, but where TacMed is designed for military/police tactical entry team members with specialized medical training, our course is for non-entry, non-medical personnel.  It is primarily for firearm instructors, home owners/defenders and police officers any of who may suddenly find themselves in the position of providing initial care and stabilization of a gunshot wound victim.  We will deal with Threat Elimination and the Identification of the Seven Life-Threatening Injuries as well as Control of Hemorrhage.  Emergency Range Response, Accessing EMS Services and Maintaining an Emergency GSW Response Kit will be covered.

Instructor for this class is Doc Gunn aka Anthony M. Barrera, M.D.

Do we have enough SERIOUS interest to have them hold the class here in MD (if not I'm heading to Pittsburgh to take it)?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#1]
How many people and how much?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds interesting.  Like BBQMAN said, how much?
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 5:12:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Cost is $175 IIRC, and you get one of the new trauma dressings (they should also be available for purchase).

I don't have a figure for how many people are needed - usually classes like this need a minimum of 6-8 people.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 5:21:53 AM EDT
[#4]
FYI I was also talking with Mr. Yeager of Tactical Response Inc a few months ago about having his basic carbine taught in MD.

I gave the info the guys at the Frederick IWLA, trying to get them to host the class (they have a good range for it).  No word yet.

If any of you have a range where it can be done (no can't be held at Marriotsville) you can set up a class.  IIRC his policy is if you can set the class up you go for free (that is a very good incentive).  So you'll need a range and half dozen buddies.

BTW I'd be up for a Yeager Basic Carbine course if any of you can host it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Ughh...175!  That's too steep for me right now.  Otherwise I'd do it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#6]
It sounds pricy, but worthwhile thing is cheap?

I mean we buy $700+ rifles, $300-$800 optics, and cases of ammo go for around $200.

This is a class on how to treat gunshot wounds - it could save your (or a loved ones) life.

That is why I'm willing to drive 4 hours to Pittsburgh, stay overnight, and give up a day of vacation (they hold this class on Friday in Pittsburgh - I want it on the weekend if we have in MD).
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:51:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Th effectiveness of the first reponder in a life threatening situation is just as or more important than the surgeon or doctor that takes the patient at the hospital. If the patient has bled out during the trip to the hospital, the best doctor in the world can't do a damn thing.
Does anyone sell those new trauma dressings with the clotting agent in them on line anywhere? I'd love to have a few of them on hand.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Does anyone sell those new trauma dressings with the clotting agent in them on line anywhere? I'd love to have a few of them on hand.

They should be available at the course....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top