Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2003 8:11:12 AM EDT
Okay I regularly go to MD to visit family and I usually take a firearm or two with me.

A few years ago I used to just case them up, lock them and put them behind the seat of my truck...decided that that wasn't so wise so I just put them in cases and tie them down in the bed. Ammo is either in the floorboard or in the bed as well. Is that the proper way to do it?

Also when we take my wife's car I usually case them up and put them in the trunk, ammo is often IN the trunk and in the car. My uncle says that I can still get busted for having a concealed weapon. My arguement is they're in the trunk..not easily accessable and ammo is in a separate can. A friend of mine just puts a shotgun in the back seat (unloaded) of his bronco adn locks the ammo in his glove box.

I'd REALLY hate to get busted for illegal transport of firearms so what's the deal? TIA
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#1]
excerpts from NRA Library

Rifles and shotguns being transported in motor vehicles must be unloaded.  edited to add  -  Unload the mags too.

It is a crime to wear or carry openly any rifle or shotgun with the intent or purpose of unlawfully injuring any person.

It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person, or to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways, or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resided, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him.

HOWEVER

No violation is committed by any person who can demonstrate that the handgun is being carried, worn or transported:

To or from a place of legal purchase or sale, or repair shop.
Between such person's bona fide residences, or between his residence and place of business, if the business is operated and substantially owned by that person.
While engaged in, or traveling to and from a "target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, trapping, or dog obedience training class or show."
By a bona fide gun collector who is "moving any part or all of his gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition," and while such handguns are actually on exhibition.
During transportation to and from the above places, the handgun must be unloaded, and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster.

Link Posted: 9/1/2003 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup,
philsAR nailed it.

Dont forget that Class III (FA and Supressors) are also 100% LEGAL in MD too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, as these above two folks pointed out to me not too long ago - loaded magazines = loaded weapons, even of the magazine is not IN the weapon.

I'm a damn criminal!
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 3:45:50 AM EDT
[#4]
oh yeh, I forgot that part.  Not legal to transport with bullets in the mag.  I got nailed for that one once.  So if you store your 9mm by your bed at night then decide to take it to the range, legally you must unload the mags, then load them back up once you get there.

Now that makes sense, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
oh yeh, I forgot that part.  Not legal to transport with bullets in the mag.  I got nailed for that one once.  So if you store your 9mm by your bed at night then decide to take it to the range, legally you must unload the mags, then load them back up once you get there.

Now that makes sense, doesn't it?

No, you need MORE MAGS.  Just leave the loaded mags & home (with your self defense rounds) and have other mags for the range.

And I understand the point you were trying to make.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, better check that too! I *once* traveled with a loaded mag ahem...IN the mag well!
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I usually travel back to Pennsylvania to shoot and I usually take a ton of ammo and what the local media would call a cache of weapons.  I do wait until I get there to load the mags.  However, I drive an SUV so there is no degree of separation between the guns and the ammo.  That makes me nervous sometimes but I'm not exactly going to strap the ammo cans or the gun cases to the roof rack.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:03:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I usually travel back to Pennsylvania to shoot and I usually take a ton of ammo and what the local media would call a cache of weapons.  I do wait until I get there to load the mags.  However, I drive an SUV so there is no degree of separation between the guns and the ammo.  That makes me nervous sometimes but I'm not exactly going to strap the ammo cans or the gun cases to the roof rack.

Syd, I don't think they need physical separation, just have your firearms unloaded and cased....and mags unloaded too.

Just read tons of dry legal code.  Can't find anything that mandates physical separation of ammo and guns.  Just unloaded and cased.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A few years ago I used to just case them up, lock them and put them behind the seat of my truck..

That is fine as long as the ammo is in separte containers.

Also when we take my wife's car I usually case them up and put them in the trunk, ammo is often IN the trunk and in the car.

Again that is fine - providing the ammo is in a different container than the rifle or handgun.

My uncle says that I can still get busted for having a concealed weapon.

I'll reserve comments about this 'uncle'.  But you can't be cited for carry in a concealed weapon that is stored in a case.  Especially as Maryland law requires it of handguns (see MD Criminal Code Title 4 subtitle II section 4-203).

My arguement is they're in the trunk..not easily accessable and ammo is in a separate can.

That is what the Fed requires for interstate transport and is the proper way under MD law.

A friend of mine just puts a shotgun in the back seat (unloaded) of his bronco adn locks the ammo in his glove box.

Risky and asking for trouble!  They could argue your friend could access the shotgun.  It really should be in the back cargo section.

I'd REALLY hate to get busted for illegal transport of firearms so what's the deal? TIA
Sounds like you're on the ball and shouldn't have any problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top