Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2021 10:35:28 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone knows of any good spots for some truck camping. I got my pick up set up like a small camper in back with a topper on it. Looking for places a little off road but not extreme or anything but where you don't get the big groups of RVs or families in their mini vans camping everywhere. I wanna just be able to just pull my truck in, throw up a camp chair, have a fire and relax away from the crowds.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:36:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mille lacs and north have plenty of opportunities everywhere.
View Quote

yea I have been googling and looking up spots. I found a couple but not always easy to find. Been looking at the overland camping sites now. My problem is I don't know of any places yet lol.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on where you are and how far you want to drive, my vote is the Superior National Forest. Dispersed camping pretty much anywhere you want to go, with few restrictions (fire season notwithstanding).

Probably the same up in the Chip, though I've never camped there. (Chippewa NF).

Most state forest areas are the same, but I've found they don't have the trail access like the NF roads.

ETA: SNF dispersed camping
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Depending on where you are and how far you want to drive, my vote is the Superior National Forest. Dispersed camping pretty much anywhere you want to go, with few restrictions (fire season notwithstanding).

Probably the same up in the Chip, though I've never camped there. (Chippewa NF).

Most state forest areas are the same, but I've found they don't have the trail access like the NF roads.

ETA: SNF dispersed camping
View Quote

Awesome link. I am willing to travel anywhere in the state. Is dispersed camping only hiking in site, or are there ones I can get to with a 4x4 truck? Found a couple worth checking on on the Roamfree app. I got the back of the truck all set up. Now I just have to wait for my weekends.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
There's places you can walk to, drive to, ATV to, you name it. Even boat to. There are restrictions about where you can drive, and how far away from roads you have to be, but it's a BIG forest.
Another secret is hit the SNF designated campgrounds after school starts in the fall. Except for MEA week, the campgrounds are empty. I've stayed entire weeks up there in September and October, in a designated campground, and never saw a soul. My favorite time of year to go.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:15:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There's places you can walk to, drive to, ATV to, you name it. Even boat to. There are restrictions about where you can drive, and how far away from roads you have to be, but it's a BIG forest.
Another secret is hit the SNF designated campgrounds after school starts in the fall. Except for MEA week, the campgrounds are empty. I've stayed entire weeks up there in September and October, in a designated campground, and never saw a soul. My favorite time of year to go.
View Quote

Thank you. Yea almost all my camping will be done during the week and in spring and fall. It defiantly helps thin out the crowds.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 1:14:03 AM EDT
[#7]
From someone who is not from here, what’s the secret to dealing with the mosquitoes. I can deal with a few, but when they get in my ears and eyes it’s just too much. So far I’ve just avoided outdoor activities outside of the fall and spring. What’s the secret?
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
From someone who is not from here, what’s the secret to dealing with the mosquitoes. I can deal with a few, but when they get in my ears and eyes it’s just too much. So far I’ve just avoided outdoor activities outside of the fall and spring. What’s the secret?
View Quote

I have no idea. I only camp in the spring and fall just because of the mosquitoes. If it's breezy out they don't bother you as much. I have heard good things about the Thermecell (however it's spelled) but I haven't tried it yet
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thermacell.

Permathin.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:56:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I spend every weekend in the summer up north in Voyageurs National Park. They're only really bad for about 2 hrs in the evening.

How to deal with mosquitoes:

Boots, jeans, sweatshirt, and a mosquito hat.

Yes, you look like a tool bag, but damn do they work.

Get the deluxe version.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#13]
The solution for mosquitos is when they get bad in the evenings you and your good looking female camping companion go inside and open a bottle of wine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top