Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2021 10:49:37 PM EDT
I may have a job opportunity in Minneapolis starting next year.. I would need to be close to Minneapolis and would need to somewhere by the Univ Medical Center and the VA...

so give me the nitty gritty. How is the area? Is it all torn to shreds after riots? How are the gun laws? I'm in Nebraska so we can pretty much own anything.

How is winter? Sucky I'm sure...

Could I live 15 min from the VA and Medical University and be in a nice neighborhood?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#1]
If you need to be close to the VA by the MSP airport, Apple Valley and Eagan are relatively close by without being too run down. AV is slowly deteriorating though (thanks metro transit....). Lakeville, Farmington, and Rosemount are a little further south, but still an easy drive to the MSP area.

Gun laws are okay for non-nfa. SBRs and suppressors are good to go. SBS and Mgs must be C&R. Need a permit to carry or permit to purchase to buy pistols and most semi auto rifles. That sucks, but both are shall-issue. The PTC is good for five years. The purchase permit is good for one year, but it is free. Basically the same paperwork as a 4473.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:53:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I would say to pass on the job because the city government is letting the looters burn the place and loot about every 3 months.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea my interest is decreasing daily... is it possible to live outside the city but commute to the city in 15 min from a nice neighborhood?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yea my interest is decreasing daily... is it possible to live outside the city but commute to the city in 15 min from a nice neighborhood?
View Quote

15 minutes, not really.  With rush hour traffic you are looking at probably at least a 20-25 minute commute. There are pockets of nice areas close to downtown Minneapolis, but you are always only 5 minutes from being in a bad neighborhood.

I've communicated 30 minutes or more for years. Totally worth it to avoid having to worry about riots, looting, bad neighborhood, shitty schools, etc.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want to be close to downtown Minneapolis but not in it, the suburbs of Falcon Heights and Roseville are probably your best bet. If the VA is where you'll be primarily, then I stand by my earlier reccomendation. That being said, I commuted from Roseville to the MSP airport for a few years, and that drive was only about 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Eagan near 35E or Inver Grove Heights near HWY 55 will work for your purposes OP; both give you a fast route to the HWY 62 bridge over the Minnesota River, and the VA is right there.  I’m not guaranteeing a 15 minute commute but it won’t be much more than that and it’s a good balance between good suburbs and being close to work.

Edit: the University Medical Center is a different animal and is obviously close to downtown Minneapolis.  It’s still doable from the south suburbs but the North suburbs might work best for driving to the U of M.  I guess the decision point is which location you’ll spend the most time at.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All this.

People that can are leaving msp for a reason.

If you do it, be sure to get your permit to carry right away, train, and carry every day.
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

VA is south of downtown by about a 15 minute drive (via Hwy 55) Nicest nearby area is Mendota Heights, which is another 5-6 minutes away. If your employer doesn’t provide parking downtown, a parking contract can get expensive.

VA is also about 2.5-miles south of the 3rd Police Precinct that was burned down.

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Ended up with the Job in MN.. will be worth it in the end and the location is only temporary.

Tell me more about these NFA rules re: suppressors and MG…  Is that only for Minneapolis County area?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Live outside the loop and make sure you have multiple magazines for your carry. You’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I may have a job opportunity in Minneapolis starting next year.. I would need to be close to Minneapolis and would need to somewhere by the Univ Medical Center and the VA...

so give me the nitty gritty. How is the area? Is it all torn to shreds after riots? How are the gun laws? I'm in Nebraska so we can pretty much own anything.

How is winter? Sucky I'm sure...

Could I live 15 min from the VA and Medical University and be in a nice neighborhood?

Thanks
View Quote

My honest advice sir. DO NOT move the the communist state of Minnesota. If you love freedom and you are hard working move to a state that supports the working white male. Minnesota is a goddammed communist shithole full of hard core leftist! The state is chock full of liberals and normie asshats!
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My honest advice sir. DO NOT move the the communist state of Minnesota. If you love freedom and you are hard working move to a state that supports the working white male. Minnesota is a goddammed communist shithole full of hard core leftist! The state is chock full of liberals and normie asshats!
View Quote

Appreciate the input. I’m moving there regardless for work and training in July 2022.. I understand it’s liberal leanings. I lived in Denver for 5 years as well. Honestly, I’m moving there no matter what… might as well try to bring some common sense and resist the liberal shitstorm while I’m there.  Hopefully my family can infuse a little common sense to the area. It’s still America.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Appreciate the input. I’m moving there regardless for work and training in July 2022.. I understand it’s liberal leanings. I lived in Denver for 5 years as well. Honestly, I’m moving there no matter what… might as well try to bring some common sense and resist the liberal shitstorm while I’m there.  Hopefully my family can infuse a little common sense to the area. It’s still America.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always good to have another person in the state that owns guns and has common sense. Welcome!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top