Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2021 11:37:11 AM EDT
Looking over the Handgunlaws.us it looks like I'll need a non-resident permit to carry to come visit again.

Some Sheriff's offices' web sites say they're not accepting mail-in applications. Anyone have any suggestions or places to look to see who has the fastest processing times for mail-in?

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking over the Handgunlaws.us it looks like I'll need a non-resident permit to carry to come visit again.

Some Sheriff's offices' web sites say they're not accepting mail-in applications. Anyone have any suggestions or places to look to see who has the fastest processing times for mail-in?

Thanks in advance!

View Quote

Per the statute, you must apply in person. You'll need to complete a permit to carry class with a MN BCA certified instructor. Dakota County is $75 (many counties charge the $100 max fee) and I believe they have a reputation for pretty quick permit processing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Per the statute, you must apply in person. You'll need to complete a permit to carry class with a MN BCA certified instructor. Dakota County is $75 (many counties charge the $100 max fee) and I believe they have a reputation for pretty quick permit processing.
View Quote
They were pretty quick with mine. This was pre-covid and I'm a resident of the county, but they've always been quick with my applications.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]
It probably depends more on where you are coming from, since (technically) all counties are shall issue.  I wouldn't drive to Dakota County if you're coming from someplace out west, or even south.  Pick a border county closest to your drive.  That's what I'd do.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Winona county was a quick turn around for my last renewal and they accepted it via mail.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:10:37 AM EDT
[#7]
In the very rural county I last submitted in turn around was 5 business days from submission to mailbox.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#8]
For renewals, is another class needed?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For renewals, is another class needed?
View Quote

Yes.
ETA: renewal can be submitted up to 90 days before expiration, class must be taken within the year prior to renewal application. Shall issue in 30 days. OP, I am PM'ing you a known good rural county.

Must be submitted to the sheriff of county of residence if a resident permit holder, although that is not the case here. I think that covers about all of the relevant bits but if you need more info let me know.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Probably as long as you don't go to Hennepin/metro, just pick a rural county closest to you. I can't imagine any of them giving you grief.
View Quote

My assumption as well. The first county you come to across the state line (so long as it's not coming from Hudson) will probably be bright red. Doubt they'd give you any issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top