Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2021 12:50:36 AM EDT
I just got a notice from the city in the mail today that said they’re going to mill and overlay our neighborhood. Has anybody else gone through this and how much did it cost you? In the letter from the city it says that it’s going to cost me as a homeowner at minimum $1000.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#1]
$9000 for me included water and sewer update.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:51:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine was about 3K if you get by for 1K be happy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
$9000 for me included water and sewer update.
View Quote

Did your property value go up by $9000? After doing some research, legally they can only charge you for compensation. In the case of road maintenance that means your property value.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait,

If they fix the road in front of your house, you directly have to cut a check?
View Quote

If they use the special assessment process you do. They charge households that “benefit” from the road maintenance. Looking into it further it’s a pretty shady process and most cities don’t follow the law it seems. The special assessments that they levy seems to be a way that most cities make up for their insolvency.

Per the law they can only charge property owners an amount that is equal to the increase in value that the property gets because of the work being done. For road maintenance this added value usually amounts to $0. As you can see from the letter I received they are trying to charge us 40% of the total project cost.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Did your property value go up by $9000? After doing some research, legally they can only charge you for compensation. In the case of road maintenance that means your property value.
View Quote

Hard to tell, the country changed how property values were established a couple years back.  All I remember was it was complicated how they arrived at values. I did not argue the point as fighting city hall...  I got a new street and sidewalk, water and sewer so I am not complaining.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wait,

If they fix the road in front of your house, you directly have to cut a check?
View Quote

You can have it added to taxes if you want which is what I did.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You can have it added to taxes if you want which is what I did.
View Quote

With an interest rate on top of it. Fuck this scam. More people need to stand up to it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

With an interest rate on top of it. Fuck this scam. More people need to stand up to it.
View Quote

The interest rate was the same as city pays.  As a taxpayer you are going to pay for it one way or another no such thing as free lunch and upgrades were needed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The interest rate was the same as city pays.  As a taxpayer you are going to pay for it one way or another no such thing as free lunch and upgrades were needed.
View Quote

You paid interest on your taxes. Think about that for a second.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You paid interest on your taxes. Think about that for a second.
View Quote

You are correct, and I could have wrote a check on the spot but just did not feel like doing it. It really doesn't matter as the city has to put out a bond (borrow) the money to pay contractor for said work.  City needs to tax residents to pay back said bond.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top