Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2021 11:29:57 PM EDT
I'll start off by saying I've never flown and have never been out of the Midwest so my questions may sound dumb.

We're going to Vegas for a few nights in a week and im curious if anyone has had trouble checking a handgun while flying. I've read about the laws and it seems simple enough, unloaded cased & locked and it must be checked. I want to bring my G43 (Nevada honors MN CCW permits) but if its going to delay anything majorly at an airport ill just leave it at home.
It sounds like I don't have to let the airport know ahead of time, I simply let them know I'm checking a handgun when we get there.

Any tips and/or experiences guys have would be great. We'll be with SunCountry if that matters

Cory
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:31:44 AM EDT
[#1]
You check in with the ticket agent (the one BEFORE the security checkpoint). No self check-in when flying with a firearm. You declare that it is unloaded and sign a little card that they leave with the gun case. They'll tell you what to do next.

You'll need a hard sided lockable case (non-TSA locks). Ammo will probably need to be in a factory box. Every airline will have slightly different policies. Check for yourself to be sure.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Like mentioned above, locked in a hard sided case with a NON-TSA lock and declared at the check-in counter.  On one or more occasions, I was invited into a private booth with a TSA agent and had to show them it was unloaded, so keep the key to the locked case on your person. I'm not sure what the rules are about ammo anymore, but I think I was prohibited from having any ammo in the case with the firearm and it had to be in a different checked bag.  I've flown with firearms probably 3 times in my life and never had any issues.  I have *heard* about horror stories, but never experienced one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.suncountry.com/bags-optional-services

Firearms and ammunition
Firearms and ammunition are accepted as checked bags only.

Ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer’s original container or equivalent which provides for sufficient cartridge separation. It may be carried in the firearms case. Up to 11 pounds of ammunition (any number of rounds) will be accepted for transport.

Firearms will only be accepted in a hard sided locked container. In accordance with federal law, all firearms must be unloaded, and the traveler must sign a “Firearms Unloaded” declaration affirming that the firearm is unloaded. The declaration form will then be placed inside the container by the traveler and witnessed by a Sun Country representative. The bag will be locked at the time of acceptance, with the key or lock combination retained in the traveler’s custody.

• The information shown below pertains to travel within the United States only, as traveling with firearms or ammunition on international flights is strictly prohibited. Travelers must obtain and comply with regulations governing the transportation of firearms. Learn more about the rules and restrictions governing the transportation of firearms. Sun Country Airlines employees will not handle firearms.

• Maximum per case is three rifles/shotguns or five pistols/revolvers, shooting mat, noise suppressors, and tools. There is no limit on the number of cases allowed.

• Ammunition is limited to 11 pounds total per passenger. Excess bag charges will apply to each gun case if it is in additional/excess of the standard bag requirements and/or oversize/overweight.

• Ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer’s original container or equivalent which provides for sufficient cartridge separation. It may be carried in the firearms case.

• Travelers will present firearms and ammunition to TSA for inspection after airline tags item.

• No one under 18 years of age may check a firearm unless they provide proof of firearm safety training.

• Pellet and BB guns are treated the same as other firearms and require the same handling.

• No exterior tag or description of contents noting firearm may appear on any case.

• Cases for long guns and rifles with locks in the middle may not sufficiently secure the firearm, especially if the end can be pried open. More than one lock may be needed to secure the entire case. Sun Country does not provide locks.

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Find out where and how you will get your checked baggage I flew from arizona to minnesota with a 3006 rifle when I got to minnesota I was waiting forever for the rifle and case at the baggage claim the luggage thing stopped and no rifle after walking around looking for someone to ask I seen it over leaning  against a wall by a door anyone could of walked up to it and walked off with it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Lately (since that guy shot up the airport in FL if I remember right) I have had to claim my bag in person at the respective airlines baggage office.  Sometimes I've had the employee bring my bag to the luggage claim area.  They also have been zip tying the suitcase shut.  

I always leave extra time just in case I have issues at the airport.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top