Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2021 8:19:09 AM EDT
Does anyone somewhat local to me (north metro) have a suppressed PCC in 9mm in either SBR or armbrace form I could shoot a couple rounds through?  I'm considering purchasing something of the like, but want to find out if I'll be disappointed before dropping essentially $2500 (minimum) in a weapon+suppressor.

What I really want to compare it to is my suppressed 300BLK AR, which I thought would be the coolest thing since sliced bread.  It's not nearly as cool as I thought it would be with the action noise and port bark.  After a ton of research, these are the weapons I'd prefer to try.  But since I've never heard/shot a suppressed 9mm PCC, I'll take any experience I can get.

Preferred due to delayed blowback actions:
MP5 clone
CMMG Guard/Banshee

Less than ideal based on internet research for various reasons, but would like to test drive anyway and maybe I'd be pleasantly surprised:
AR in 9mm (any variant)
CZ Scorpion
Sig MPX

TIA
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a suppressed 9mm AR but so far it has been finnicky with some WWB and I haven't figured out why.  If you have ammo to burn I'd be game.

In St Paul.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#2]
CMMG Banshee in 9mm with Omega 9K shooting 150 grain is very Quiet!

If you already have a 9mm Glock, you have the magazines.

Mine has a 3 lug quick attach.

Fun range toy for shooting steel at 15 yards plus.

Have not tried the Federal 147 Gr. HST yet. Would make a good home defense rig for the wife.

The 10mm version is also nice, but spendy to shoot currently.

It has no recoil compared to a standard 9mm blowback.

I’m in S.E. MN near La Crosse if your up to a road trip.   Dan
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#3]
One thing you need to keep in mind with suppressed PCCs...everything is relative

You didn't say, but what barrel length was your 300blk, and were you shooting subsonics or supersonic rounds? If you have a 16" barrel and were shooting subs...something is seriously messed up if you're getting port pop; you must be seriously over-gassed. If you're shooting supersonic rounds...well, found your problem

You also don't say what kind/make of can? Something out of a K-can, or a wildly inappropriate "rated for it but not designed for it" can (like 300blk out of an Omega9k would be a prime example), would sound very very different than something out of a proper full size 30 cal can.

If you're shooting everything at 16" or longer barrels, if you're shooting subsonic ammo (and it stays subsonic through that barrel length), things will tend to average out, I would think?

My 8.5" 300blk AR with a Dead Air Nomad on it, shooting 200gr subsonics, felt as quiet if not quieter than my MP5K-PDW clone with an Omega9k on it, also shooting 147gr subsonics. My 300blk has a Troy PDW stock/bolt carrier group in it and the barrel is...I forget which, but %99 sure it came from PSA at some point. I wouldn't shoot either very much without ear pro, but I would not say that the MP5K was appreciably quieter than the 300. It might be a little quieter, but not enough for me to make changes based on that.

Anyway, my point is, if you're getting a lot of port pop on yours...I'd check to make sure it's set up/built correctly, and then if it's set up right...if your expectations aren't out of line? I don't know what your level of experience with suppressed firearms are but a lot of people (including me) get into it with one set of expectations, and then find out that hollywood lied
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyway, my point is, if you're getting a lot of port pop on yours...I'd check to make sure it's set up/built correctly, and then if it's set up right...if your expectations aren't out of line? I don't know what your level of experience with suppressed firearms are but a lot of people (including me) get into it with one set of expectations, and then find out that hollywood lied
View Quote

Mine's an 8.25" DI upper on a registered SBR lower with a SiCo Specwar 7.62 shot with subsonic ammo.  I think, like you mention, that perhaps my expectations were higher than they should have been.  What I'm curious about is, would the 9mm (with a suitable can), come closer to meeting my expectations?  I'm *assuming* that I'll probably still be disappointed (with probably unrealistic expectations), which is why I'm seeking to test drive one before I end up with >$2500 worth of hardware that I'm dissatisfied with.  If that makes any sense??
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mine's an 8.25" DI upper on a registered SBR lower with a SiCo Specwar 7.62 shot with subsonic ammo.  I think, like you mention, that perhaps my expectations were higher than they should have been.  What I'm curious about is, would the 9mm (with a suitable can), come closer to meeting my expectations?  I'm *assuming* that I'll probably still be disappointed (with probably unrealistic expectations), which is why I'm seeking to test drive one before I end up with >$2500 worth of hardware that I'm dissatisfied with.  If that makes any sense??
View Quote

Gotcha, and yeah it makes sense, no worries...I was just trying to gauge where you were coming from; like if you had bought some 16" 300blk AR from PSA or something, put a can on it, and thought "This is louder than it was in John Wick!"

Curiosity - ever shot a 9mm handgun with a can on it with subsonics?

Cause the SBR won't be much different...barrel length will be a little longer but otherwise it won't sound that much different.

The primary difference would be how close your face is to the ejection port. With a handgun it's all the way out there at max extension; with a PCC it's right under your nose.

If you're chasing a fun range toy a 9mm roller locked gun is very quiet once you get the locking piece dialed in for both the bullet weight and the suppressor. My K clone uses an 80 degree locking piece, and with 147gr subsonics it's just flat out fun. Dirty, but fun. A full size MP5 clone would probably be that much quieter than my K gun, not to mention a little more forgiving as it's got a longer barrel and longer receiver. It'll be about the same size as your SBR AR in 300, give or take. It'll probably shoot a lot smoother, too (not that the K guns are janky or anything but spreading out the recoil impulse over more mass over more time...you get the idea)

Another question - were you shooting indoors, or outdoors; if outdoors, were you shooting out in the open, or under cover/under a roof? Very different experiences between those 3...if you only ever shot it at an indoor range (like Bills), get outdoors and try it?

At the end of the day though, you're still kinda comparing a rifle cartridge to a pistol cartridge here, even if the 300 is just a gussied up aerodynamic 45 It's a little weird to get that much noticeable port pop, but who knows?

If you're in the north metro, have you called Bills and asked them if they rent anything like that?

...it's also worth noting, a purpose-built subgun can (like a Gemtech MK9K, or whatever the GSL copy of it is now) will sound radically different than your average 9mm pistol can...my Omega9k sounds great to me, but it's not the quietest 9mm can out there either I don't think
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you shooting with ANY hearing protection?

I have some integrally suppressed and SBR PCC in 9 & 45, but nothing roller locked.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Evil is right; its all relative.  my suppressed 9" 300 with subs is pretty impressive.  I hate shooting suppressed handguns other than a MK23--its just too sweet.  I was happy with my omega 9k on a MP5 type, until i shot the gemtech MK9K(now GSL phoenix i believe)--that was the heat... Until I shot a MP5SD-- theres just no comparison.  it just keeps going on and on.  although OP got me wondering--ranges rent machine guns do they have demo suppressors they let you test drive.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#8]
You may want to look into the legality of possessing an NFA device that you are not registered to be in possession of - depending on where you intend to test fire.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You may want to look into the legality of possessing an NFA device that you are not registered to be in possession of - depending on where you intend to test fire.
View Quote

Not quite sure what you're trying to infer here, but it's perfectly legal. He's allowed to shoot/use whatever, as he does not own/control it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top