Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2020 10:55:29 AM EDT
I've looked around and found no definitive answer, and in fact conflicting information, as to whether AR Pistols are legal in the state of MN.

Or is this type of pistol with stabilizing brace simply considered a SBR in MN?

If legal, can they also be fired from a shoulder stabilized position?

Perhaps my lack of clarity means this is something I should be staying away from.....

Thanks for your help, in advance.

Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#1]
One needs to consider.....
There are local vendors that have them on the shelves. ( Or had and are out of stock now).  The 4473 information will say it is sold as a "Handgun".  And as such you will either a permit to purchase a handgun / assault rifle from your local servicing LE agency.
The confusion right now is there is some consternation due to recent BATFE shenanigans and now the potential next president is very anti 2A.  
What you would do with a purchase or the creation of assembling a STRIPPED upper into a handgun is your business (shouldering it versus applying the brace feature over your forearm). Most people will never pay much attention to you.  If you are worried you can always do a Form 1 and register the Pistol as a SBR and attach regular stock to the gun.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#2]
@rn22723

Thank you for the information.  Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've looked around and found no definitive answer, and in fact conflicting information, as to whether AR Pistols are legal in the state of MN. Yes legal to purchase/own, purchase from FFL with with PTC or PTP.

Or is this type of pistol with stabilizing brace simply considered a SBR in MN? Only considered an SBR if you do a from 1, you can purchase with a brace and do a form 1 to SBR afterwards if you choose.

If legal, can they also be fired from a shoulder stabilized position? This is a slightly gray area, there was/is a letter floating around from a brace manufacture stating it is acceptable to shoulder, I have the letter somewhere at home, it is not something I am worried about when I am shooting though.

Perhaps my lack of clarity means this is something I should be staying away from.....

Thanks for your help, in advance.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/12/2020 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
@kris55

Great info. Thank you as well.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is a slightly gray area, there was/is a letter floating around from a brace manufacture stating it is acceptable to shoulder, I have the letter somewhere at home, it is not something I am worried about when I am shooting though.
View Quote
I keep a copy of the KAK letter in the pistol grip of my AR pistol.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I keep a copy of the KAK letter in the pistol grip of my AR pistol.
View Quote

You just made me remember where mine might be, in the case with my braced pistols. I think.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:If legal, can they also be fired from a shoulder stabilized position?

This is a slightly gray area, there was/is a letter floating around from a brace manufacture stating it is acceptable to shoulder, I have the letter somewhere at home, it is not something I am worried about when I am shooting though.
View Quote

It's really not the least bit of a grey area, it's all about your intent. If you build the pistol with a brace with the intent of shouldering the brace then it's an SBR, if you build it with the intent to use it on your arm but shoulder it after it's been built then it's a pistol.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top