Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2015 6:02:14 PM EDT
I see that Cabela's has their usual $20 off $100 purchase and I was thinking about getting a Frankford tumbler or one of the ThumblerTumbler units.

I really hate cleaning primer pockets with the RCBS Case Prep station... its not a good use of time.

The recent once-fired brass I got from another forum member was wet tumbled with ss pins. Looked like brand new brass and the primer pockets sparkled.

Anyone else do this locally? Source for tumblers that won't cost an arm/leg?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought the thumlers kit from Brownells. You get it quickly, don't pay sales tax, I used a coupon to save $20 on a $200 purchase and I'm an edge member so free shipping.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I use the dual drum rotary rock tumbler from Harbor Freight. It's 54.99 now. I only run them for an hour. Enough to shine the outside and inside but not long enough to totally clean the primer pockets, but I'm not worried about them.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:54:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I started with the harbor freight special, was great for 9mm but bulk 223 was far too tedious - 75 cases per drum was about max capacity for 223.  I think with coupons I got it for around $40 after tax & picked up 2.5lbs of pins off amazon for $20.

For efficiency's sake, it didn't take me long to go the FART route from Cabelas with a $20 off 100 coupon like you have. I also had points built up so that helped a bit too. Even if I had to pay full price & tax, it was worth every penny. Unless you have coupons, it's pretty much going to be a wash between local + tax and online + shipping. Right now I tumble about 600 rounds of 223 per batch, my limitation being the boot rack in the dryer not being able to hold much more weight. Makes a hell of a racket when a garment bag full of brass hits the drum!

The frankford comes with 5lbs of pins. If you go for a thumler's, factor in another $40 for stainless media.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-909544-Parent-Rotary-Tumbler/dp/B017VDSP28 . I used to sonic clean. Never again. F.A.R.T. is the way!
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-909544-Parent-Rotary-Tumbler/dp/B017VDSP28 . I used to sonic clean. Never again. F.A.R.T. is the way!
View Quote

DANG!!! That's less than with Cabela's and their $20 off coupon.

And the fact that it comes with the steel pins is what I've been trying to find out as well.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought I checked Amazon last night, but definitely didn't see it that cheap. I'd have no hesitation on that one.

Throw out the packet of solution they provide with the unit. All  you need is some lemishine and dawn dish soap.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I thought I checked Amazon last night, but definitely didn't see it that cheap. I'd have no hesitation on that one.

Throw out the packet of solution they provide with the unit. All  you need is some lemishine and dawn dish soap.
View Quote

What price are you seeing? $145? My thumlers kit (pins included) was under $200 shipped from Brownells due to a sale and discount.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What price are you seeing? $145? My thumlers kit (pins included) was under $200 shipped from Brownells due to a sale and discount.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, $145 with free prime shipping. Going to be tough to beat that price.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Does this really not wear the cases prematurely?  It just seems like you are running something harder against the brass.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does this really not wear the cases prematurely?  It just seems like you are running something harder against the brass.
View Quote

Not in my experience.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Just bought the Frankford from cabelas in Woodbury .

I've made a few runs so far.  About 90 minutes is good enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top