Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2015 3:13:26 PM EDT
My address that is listed on my physical copy of my PTC is different from the one on my DL. If I go to the fun shop and want to buy something does it need to have the same address on both of them?

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Several of the local gun shops wouldn't sell to a friend because the addresses didn't match.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#3]
No, your only obligation is to inform the Sheriff of a change of address within 30 days.

From the BCA FAQ Page:
Do I need to notify the sheriff’s office when I move?
Yes, a permit holder is required to notify the issuing sheriff’s office within 30 days of a permanent address change. Failure to do so is a petty misdemeanor.

Do the address and/or my new driver’s license number on my permit to carry need to match the address and/or drivers license number on my driver’s license?
No. A permit holder, however, is required to notify the issuing sheriff’s office within 30 days of a permanent address change. Failure to do so is a petty misdemeanor. The permit holder may, however, obtain an updated permit at a cost of $ 10.00. There is a statutory requirement to change the address on your driver’s license within 30 days after changing your residence (171.11)
View Quote

Gun shops are either A; not knowing of the law, or B; covering there butts and want them to match.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:32:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My address that is listed on my physical copy of my PTC is different from the one on my DL. If I go to the fun shop and want to buy something does it need to have the same address on both of them?  
View Quote

When I moved last time the lady at the sheriffs office told me that I do not need a new card. You only need to notify them as was stated previously. The new card was $10 (Anoka county) and insures that I don't have any issues with purchasing or with it matching an ID if I'm checked by law enforcement. $10 is cheap insurance for reduced hassle as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I would say no. As long as the DL is up to date.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#6]
nevermind
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:05:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, your only obligation is to inform the Sheriff of a change of address within 30 days.

From the BCA FAQ Page:

Gun shops are either A; not knowing of the law, or B; covering there butts and want them to match.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the BCA FAQ Page:
Do I need to notify the sheriff’s office when I move?
Yes, a permit holder is required to notify the issuing sheriff’s office within 30 days of a permanent address change. Failure to do so is a petty misdemeanor.

Do the address and/or my new driver’s license number on my permit to carry need to match the address and/or drivers license number on my driver’s license?
No. A permit holder, however, is required to notify the issuing sheriff’s office within 30 days of a permanent address change. Failure to do so is a petty misdemeanor. The permit holder may, however, obtain an updated permit at a cost of $ 10.00. There is a statutory requirement to change the address on your driver’s license within 30 days after changing your residence (171.11)

This.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]
From Arnzen Arms website (only because they have the most comprehensive answer to this):

For items requiring a permit to purchase (handguns or "assault weapons") the address on the permit must be the current residence address. A Minnesota Permit to Carry with an outdated address is still usable as a permit to carry after notifying the issuing sheriff's office of the change of address, per the MN Statutes. However, the law is unclear if it still usable as a permit to purchase. We have looked into this issue extensively. Out of 4 different agencies contacted (BCA, local ATF office, MN Attorney General's office, and Hennepin County Sheriff's office where carry permits are issued), none were willing to issue a statement in writing that a carry permit with an out of date address is usable as a permit to purchase. Because we were not able to receive a confident answer from any of these 4 sources (at which point we would have requested that answer in an email or letter which could be presented upon ATF inspections), we must err on the side of caution and will continue to require addresses to be updated on permits. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.
View Quote

For the $10 to print the new card, I'd just update it if it were me.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#9]
you could solve this by getting a carry permit
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

You could solve this by rereading the OP. PTC = Permit To Carry. Thanks for logging in today!

I may or may not have bought a pistol at a local gun shop one time with a PTC and DL that didn't have matching addresses. They may or may not have called a few days later rudely insisting that I come back with the gun so they could "clear things up." I may or may not have told them to pound sand. I may or may not have ever heard anything more about it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You could solve this by rereading the OP. PTC = Permit To Carry. Thanks for logging in today!

I may or may not have bought a pistol at a local gun shop one time with a PTC and DL that didn't have matching addresses. They may or may not have called a few days later rudely insisting that I come back with the gun so they could "clear things up." I may or may not have told them to pound sand. I may or may not have ever heard anything more about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

reading is for rubes. thought it was permit to purchase.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top