Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2014 9:32:42 AM EDT
Just heard from the DNR that lakes north of North Branch nearly all have a solid 6" on them.
[NOTE: water depth and activity can drastically change conditions]

Do be careful, but, should be ready for ice fishing shacks in another week or two (at MOST!!!)

Handy linky to active lake fishing reports...
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Any members here amongst the knuckleheads who drive their trucks out onto the ice?

Those guys are NUTS....
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any members here amongst the knuckleheads who drive their trucks out onto the ice?

Those guys are NUTS....
View Quote

How else are you supposed to get out there?

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never been fond of driving out on the ice. I have a few times, but it always makes me nervous no matter how thick it is.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've never been fond of driving out on the ice. I have a few times, but it always makes me nervous no matter how thick it is.
View Quote

About the only lake I actually am comfortable driving out onto is Mille Lacs, after they start plowing roads.

Otherwise we use alternate transport.

Once watched a guy drive a full size chevy 4x4, with a Polaris sportsman in the back on 7 inches of clear ice.

Fucking crazy!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#5]
lake minnetonka is still mostly open water except the bays.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:43:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those guys are NUTS....

Color me a radical, but I'd just as soon stay ashore.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those guys are NUTS....

Nice view of the lake from the restaurant along the shore as I sit there and eat my pan fried fish....
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Those guys are NUTS....
View Quote

Roll your windows down, seatbelts off. Approach the shoreline nice and slow. I've done it in the past, and likely will again. Lakes don't bother me too much as long as the ice is thick, but driving on frozen rivers scares me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

About the only lake I actually am comfortable driving out onto is Mille Lacs, after they start plowing roads.

Otherwise we use alternate transport.

Once watched a guy drive a full size chevy 4x4, with a Polaris sportsman in the back on 7 inches of clear ice.

Fucking crazy!
View Quote

I love seeing a $60K 1 ton dually out on the ice.  Especially when there's a wheeler or sled in the bed.  The purpose of the wheeler or sled is so you can park the truck at the access and drive the smaller/cheaper transportation, so why wasn't it used?

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Those guys are NUTS....
View Quote
When I used to ice fish I would drive on the lakes all the time. It's kind of fun.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Drove on the ice to my ice house when I was young and dumb.

Now, my brain kicked in and I don't ice fish anymore. I don't drink, never caught anything anyway, and I like my wife. No reason to go sit and stare at a hole all weekend.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Its going to warm up a bit this weekend, so expect thickness to change depending on how far north you go.

I don't head onto the ice until its at least 18" thick. Last year we had nearly 3FT thick on our lake.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#13]
16" and I'll drive the half ton with caution - seat belt off and windows down. Rivers scare the shit out of me in the winter, will never ice fish that even on foot.

What amazes me are the guys that will park side by side like they're on asphalt. Just look at what happens on prior lake every year.

What bothers me are the guys that'll drive 50mph across the lake.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I take the truck and fish house RV out when there is a foot of ice.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I know it! My Step Dad want's to go Ice fishing but I'm leary of walking out on the ice.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Early bird gets the worm!

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#17]
First time using imgur for image hosting.. what the hell am I doing wrong? Which code should I be using?

EDIT: DISREGARD
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#18]
If there is more than 12" of ice I will drive out.  Four inches will get me walking out.  Hopefully this weekend I will be fishing.

LowplainsWindage, what lake is that?  Nice fish.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If there is more than 12" of ice I will drive out.  Four inches will get me walking out.  Hopefully this weekend I will be fishing.

View Quote

Lake in West Central MN. Going to omit the name for obvious reasons! That was almost two weeks ago, 3 days after first freeze. I'd say about 3 inches of ice.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lake in West Central MN. Going to omit the name for obvious reasons! That was almost two weeks ago, 3 days after first freeze. I'd say about 3 inches of ice.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand.  I was more interested if it was near or just north of the metro.  I need to go out but need to know ice thickness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top