Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2013 6:26:47 PM EDT
House was broken into this afternoon when they were gone.  In St. Paul.  What is the typical police SOP in relation to a break-in when guns are stolen?  Take a statement and call it good?
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#1]
did he have a safe ?

did he have record of the serial numbers ?

what kind of guns so we all know what to keep an eye out for ?
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
did he have a safe ?

did he have record of the serial numbers ?

what kind of guns so we all know what to keep an eye out for ?

These are good questions. Any chance we could get at least the last one answered, OP?
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 3:21:21 AM EDT
[#4]
did he have a safe ?  Nope .... dumb!  Especially since they were broken into about 4 months ago.

did he have record of the serial numbers ?  I'll have to find out

what kind of guns so we all know what to keep an eye out for ?  long guns, that's all I know at this time.  His glock was hidden elsewhere.  I'll have to get more information from him and post back.  He's not a big gun person so he lost sentimental/family more so than $$'s.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#5]
It's always smart to file a police report even if it doesn't feel like they are going to do anything. A friend of mine is an elementary teacher and had someone walk into the classroom and steal their personal Ipod that they had been using since the school didn't want to pony up for one. They filed a police report and gave them the serial number and nothing happened for about 6 months. Then one day they got a call, someone tried to pawn it in Wisconsin and the pawn shop checked the serial number with the police first. It ended up getting returned to them in perfect working condition.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#6]

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_136/1102419_Stolen_Ruger_10_22_Carbine___St__Paul__MN.html
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
No excuse for not documenting serial numbers now days with digital cameras and smart phones - hopefully they were documents so he can report them to the police - otherwise in today's political / legal climate he could find himself liable for any resulting criminal activity.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree.  But I guess I'm not surprised.  I've had multiple conversions him about getting a simple lock style cabinet for them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:38:16 AM EDT
[#9]
how did they get into the house?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top