Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2011 2:54:51 PM EDT
Anyone planning on going to this one?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I had heard about the Appleseed Project and the shoot on Oct. 1-2 in Rochester and wanted to attend but unfortunately I had to be out of town.  I had decided I'd pick up a used 10/22 and build it up since I didn't have a 22 target rifle and always wanted one.  I didn't really do much more research after that figuring I had a month before the next event.

Now will I tell you how not to go to an Appleseed.  Don't prepare
My travel plans changed I got back early I was able to go at the very last minute.  I found out there was room to walk on so I went to Gander Mountain and bought a used 10/22 carbine the night before and didn't even get a chance to shoot it.  I was so rushed getting ready I didn't even notice the rifle didn't have sling mounts which I discovered on my way out the door 5:30am Sat.  I had to rig up sling mounts with Velcro ties.  I knew I could buy a sling there thats why I didn't even check my rifle.  I did slap a scope on it since I knew I could at least adjust the scope.  Grabbed a box of Federal bulk I used in my pistols also on the way out the door.  

Day one of the event - very well done the instruction was great, everything about the event was safe and just fantastic.  
The only issues were with  my new "used" Ruger and the cobbled up sling.  I was having problems with just about every aspect , bolt release, mag release & my scope eye relief in prone was giving me trouble - major fish eye.  Then there was the issue on me not being able to find a decent sitting position, I tried several before I found one that worked for me.  I still shot some good scores - but short of Rifleman.  Three people made it one of them shot two rifleman scores.

At home that night even though I was very sore and tired I added sling mounts and thoroughly cleaned my new/used little Ruger. I practiced several positions and found I needed to move the scope forward.  I also practiced cycling the bolt and dropping/swapping mags.

Day two again very good instruction, very good on providing individual instruction on helping you with the process of gaining the Natural Point Of Aim including the follow through.

The training process about establishing your NPOA enabled me to begin to tell where all of my shots were placed.  I swear in prone I could have closed my eyes sent the round and been on target.  I qualified Rifleman on my first AQT target on day 2.

Learning what skills I need and how to develop them is exactly why I attended this event – well worth the time and the money.   Yes,  I will come back and qualify with iron sights.  I have added one thing to the build list on that 10/22 tack driver – me.

I very much enjoyed the teachings/sharing of the revolutionary events and the importance of April 19, 1775.  I would have attended just to hear that part of our herritage.

I highly recommend attending one of these if you are serious about shooting a rifle well.
Oh and don’t do what I did, do your homework and be prepared – it’s a lot less stressful, and for those that are like me (out of shape) you may want to try and loosen up before attending.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#2]
dronning

Way to hang in there and get that Rifleman patch!

I felt the same way when I went to an Appleseed. I went for the shooting, but the history was the highlight.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I was there this weekend as well and it was a lot of fun. It was great to meet new shooters as well as one other arfcommer (BFL patch gave it away), 5.56 who was an orange hat there. I've never been to an appleseed shoot before so I definitely learned a lot. I shot a 215 on Saturday and got my Rifleman Patch. I had originally decided not to return on Sunday, but ended up forgetting my folding chair on Sat evening and had to go pick it up. Since I was already there, I decided to stay until lunch Sunday. Just more trigger time and practice at the fundamentals. Thanks everyone who made it possible, I might have to look into another one in the future.

Gratutious Patch/Rifle pic:

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
An Appleseed shoot is one of the cheapest and most productive "clinics" a person can attend.

Whether you use a scope or irons, there is lots of skills improvements that can be made.

I regularly download and listen to the Rifleman Radio podcast... some tips and stories worth listening to as well.

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations Dave!
And once again to wipe out!

I only made it Saturday - But I'm glad I did!

By the way - an announcement has been made to waive the admission price for Hinckley, this weekend.
Just a $5 range fee for the Hinckley Conservation Club.  Last check there were 4 tickets left.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Congratulations Dave!
And once again to wipe out!

I only made it Saturday - But I'm glad I did!

By the way - an announcement has been made to waive the admission price for Hinckley, this weekend.
Just a $5 range fee for the Hinckley Conservation Club.  Last check there were 4 tickets left.

I wish I could make it up there and help out but got family obligations this weekend.  

Had a great weekend with the appleseed.  Got SPRT drilled in my head for giving the stage info.  Also raiding my weed whacker for some heavy line for barrel checks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I really wanted to make it to the Appleseed shoot at Rochester, but my wife had to work a weekend shift so I had to watch the kids. Hopefully I can make it next year.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 5:43:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I really wanted to make it to the Appleseed shoot at Rochester, but my wife had to work a weekend shift so I had to watch the kids. Hopefully I can make it next year.

I missed Rochester too, but I'm going to La Crosse tomorrow!
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 6:47:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I missed Rochester too, but I'm going to La Crosse tomorrow!

Rochester was great sorry you missed it but I hear La Crosse has a great range - distancce too.
I wanted to make La Crosse too.  Besides the 25 yard range I heard you can also do the qualification at actual yardage and they give out a special patch if you qualify, I'd love to bring my .308 and give that a try sometime.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top