Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2011 8:19:46 PM EDT
How's it going?  Going to be in town for a day for a business meeting.  Anything I should know about?  
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Well to be honest there isn't much that goes on in Plymouth, other than going to a movie and eating at Restaurant's.

Other cities have all the big shopping centers and such.  

Just make sure you stop at all stop signs, as the cops don't have much to do so they go after trivial things.

If by chance your meeting will be around 800am and only last a few hours.  If you have hours to waste and want to go shooting, I'd recommend Bills Gun Shop & Range.  It's in Robbinsdale, a few cities over, has like 15 lanes or so and sells guns upstairs.  Best part is you pay $20 by yourself, or $30 for two and can be there all day if you wanted, well until your flight leaves.  You don't pay hourly.  So you can shoot a little and then go upstairs for awhile and then go back down and shoot again when you feel like it.  There is a Broadway Pizza across the street and I assume you could order a pizza and bring it over to Bills and eat it on one of there break tables they have out for everybody.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Well to be honest there isn't much that goes on in Plymouth, other than going to a movie and eating at Restaurant's.

Just make sure you stop at all stop signs, as the cops don't have much to do so they go after trivial things.

If by chance your meeting will be around 800am and only last a few hours. If you have hours to waste and want to go shooting, I'd recommend Bills Gun Shop & Range. It's in Robbinsdale, a few cities over, has like 15 lanes or so and sells guns upstairs. Best part is you pay $20 by yourself, or $30 for two and can be there all day if you wanted, well until your flight leaves. You don't pay hourly. So you can shoot a little and then go upstairs for awhile and then go back down and shoot again when you feel like it. There is a Broadway Pizza across the street and I assume you could order a pizza and bring it over to Bills and eat it on one of there break tables they have out for everybody.

No offense, but I've been to this bills once, and only once. I will never step foot in that place again. The experience was enough to scare me away from this particular bills for good. Now the one near, or in Blaine, I can't say anything about. But the particular day I was at Bills in Robbinsdale,, with a side of WTF, and this was from the employee's behind the desk. I've never seen such a display of asshattery from gun shop employees, but maybe that's cause I'm from Da Range.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If by chance your meeting will be around 800am and only last a few hours. If you have hours to waste and want to go shooting, I'd recommend Bills Gun Shop & Range. It's in Robbinsdale, a few cities over, has like 15 lanes or so and sells guns upstairs. Best part is you pay $20 by yourself, or $30 for two and can be there all day if you wanted, well until your flight leaves. You don't pay hourly. So you can shoot a little and then go upstairs for awhile and then go back down and shoot again when you feel like it. There is a Broadway Pizza across the street and I assume you could order a pizza and bring it over to Bills and eat it on one of there break tables they have out for everybody.

No offense, but I've been to this bills once, and only once. I will never step foot in that place again. The experience was enough to scare me away from this particular bills for good. Now the one near, or in Blaine, I can't say anything about. But the particular day I was at Bills in Robbinsdale,, with a side of WTF, and this was from the employee's behind the desk. I've never seen such a display of asshattery from gun shop employees, but maybe that's cause I'm from Da Range.

I've always had a similar reaction to Bills.  

Goes well with their prices on stuff, too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 2:32:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I've never bought anything there because the prices are too high.  But I just go to use the range and browse the guns upstairs.  

But I always try to make it to the Shooter's Show in April of every year.  Where they have the gun manufacture reps so you can choose from 75-125 guns that they have.  Just give them your DL and off you go to the range for free, but you have to buy their overly priced ammo.  But it's a chance to shoot a lot of different guns that you might not ever get the chance to.  3 weeks ago when they had that, they had their sale going on, 10% off but it was still expensive.
A M&P 9 full size for $500 + tax when you can get them for $439  w-SH + $20-25 FFL fee at JetGuns.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah I've never bought anything there because the prices are too high.  But I just go to use the range and browse the guns upstairs.  

But I always try to make it to the Shooter's Show in April of every year.  Where they have the gun manufacture reps so you can choose from 75-125 guns that they have.  Just give them your DL and off you go to the range for free, but you have to buy their overly priced ammo.  But it's a chance to shoot a lot of different guns that you might not ever get the chance to.  3 weeks ago when they had that, they had their sale going on, 10% off but it was still expensive.
A M&P 9 full size for $500 + tax when you can get them for $439  w-SH + $20-25 FFL fee at JetGuns.

Magpul AFG for $55

Stripped lowers for $150
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Typical quiet suburb. From the airport, just take the 494 loop around to the exit of your choice (55/Rockford/Bass Lake). Avoid the temptation to take 35W to 94 to 394, that can be a goatfuck tangled mess making the lane transitions, and if you miss your west 394 exit, there's not a lot of good real simple corrective options. On your way back to the airport, give yourself extra time if it's during rush hour.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Plymouth is the Burb that I live in it.  Most of the entertainment and shopping is in the neighboring towns.

How much time do you have and what are your interests?  There is always Cabela's up 94.  Several Gander Mountains within 20 minutes.  Several other sporting goods stores with in a half hour.

It's a typical burb.  Biggest crimes near the downtown are typically vehicle break-ins.  No worries just walking around.

And don't let everyone scare you about Bills.  It all depends on when you go.  I've been there many times, and only once was it packed and had some people that could be considered shady.  Weekdays and weekday evenings that I usually go are pretty tame.  They have plenty of rental guns, or bring your own.

If you are looking to browse or shop guns and reloading supplies, there is always Gunstop in the neighboring Minnetonka.

And as a last resort, you only 15 minutes from down town, and if you are really desperate, the Mall of America is right between the airport and Plymouth.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:13:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Plymouth only really has the Plymouth Gun Club for trap/skeet on Wednesday 11am-dark and Saturday 10am-4pm.

(I've been to both and prefer shooting in the mornings... Wednesday evening is really busy)

Nice field and close to home. ;)

Don't bring anything larger than #9 3-dram loads.

Other than that, not much else to say that someone hasn't already posted about.

The only additional thing I will say about Bills is that Doug the gunsmith is pretty decent. Does good work, good prices and even does top notch Duracoat. Basically, the complete opposite of Randy in every way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds sleepy.    Looks like I'll be getting picked up when I get there by corporate.  Should be getting the flight(s) information today.  I dislike flying, any more but, what can you do.  I'd have to shut down the clinic for two weeks if they'd let me drive...which  would at least be more scenic.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Owners finally sent me my travel information.  This is gonna suck.  

So, I leave Fairbanks, AK at 1:20 am on the 28th...fly to Seattle; get there at 5:45 am.  Sit around for 6 hours to catch the flight to Minneapolis.  Get there at 5:21 pm.

The next day at around 8-9 am, corporate will be by to pick me up to take me to Plymouth.  Should drop me back at the airport sometime that evening (Friday).

The next afternoon, 1:15 pm on Saturday I catch the flight from Minneapolis back to Seattle, get there at 2:51 pm...hang around until 7:55pm to catch the flight back to Fairbanks.  Get to Fairbanks at 10:34 pm that night.  

I are going to be tired.  Looks like I gotta come up with a couple hundred just cover cost, to and from.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Make a stop by Streichers, off of Highway 55 in Minneapolis but it might as well be Plymouth. Great prices and staff buuuuuuuuuut guns are only for sale to LEOs/Security. Still can get the good deals on other goodies.Go to their website for better directions but it's off of HWY 55 and CTY RD 73, big brown building at the top of the hill, usually with squad cars in the lot: Streichers
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
catch the flight to Minneapolis.  Get there at 5:21 pm.

The next day at around 8-9 pm, corporate will be by to pick me up to take me to Plymouth.  Should drop me back at the airport sometime that evening (Friday).

The next afternoon, 1:15 pm on Saturday I catch the flight from Minneapolis back to Seattle,

Wait, what? Guessing you meant 8-9 am Friday for meetings, but they're just leaving you to spend the night at the airport on either side of the meetings on your own dime?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
catch the flight to Minneapolis.  Get there at 5:21 pm.

The next day at around 8-9 pm, corporate will be by to pick me up to take me to Plymouth.  Should drop me back at the airport sometime that evening (Friday).

The next afternoon, 1:15 pm on Saturday I catch the flight from Minneapolis back to Seattle,

Wait, what? Guessing you meant 8-9 am Friday for meetings, but they're just leaving you to spend the night at the airport on either side of the meetings on your own dime?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Yeah, meant a.m.  Just gave corporate the flight times and such ( I just got the info this morning).  Gal is looking at what can be done.  Trying to get things sorted out.  Really wish the owners had given me the flights, and such, last week when they booked them.  Now it's a scramble to get things figured out.   Was under the impression last week that I'd fly into Minneapolis that morning, and fly out that night.  So was corporate LOL
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Guess I won't be hanging out at the airport, afterall.  Just got a call that they (corp) will put me up in a motel for thurs/fri night.  They'll send me the particulars tonight, or tomorrow once they sort it out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool. Entertainment-wise, you should see if they can't get you in one of the hotels right across the street from the Mall of America (near the airport, probably have free airport shuttles). Will give you something more interesting to do for your hours of downtime than sit in the room watching TV.

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cool. Entertainment-wise, you should see if they can't get you in one of the hotels right across the street from the Mall of America (near the airport, probably have free airport shuttles). Will give you something more interesting to do for your hours of downtime than sit in the room watching TV.  

I have to agree with this.  With all the layovers and such you might as well be by the Mall of America. Just in case you feel like doing something, you'll have options.

Good luck with your flight.

––––––––––––––
Make a stop by Streichers, off of Highway 55 in Minneapolis but it might as well be Plymouth. Great prices and staff buuuuuuuuuut guns are only for sale to LEOs/Security. Still can get the good deals on other goodies.Go to their website for better directions but it's off of HWY 55 and CTY RD 73, big brown building at the top of the hill, usually with squad cars in the lot: Streichers
––––––––––––––––––––-
Not that it matters, but Streichers is in Plymouth, Plymouth is pretty damn big.  It's in my old zip code, well 5 digit anyways.

It is a cool store, but it's been many years since I've been in there. I didn't know they had good deals on others stuff though.  Weird they wouldn't want to sell guns to the general public, but good for Bills, Frontiersman....  If they only carry Glocks, M&P's, Sigs or HK don't see why it would be a big deal for them to tell the public these are the only guns we carry or will get for you.  Ones they sell to cops/security.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Plymouth is a nice city, I used to live there and have family and friends in that area.  It was voted best city to live in a couple years ago by some agency and I'd agree.  It's on the upscale side of things, there are some nice parks and walking trails around but in terms of stores, restaurants, places to shop, it's just standard chain stores/eateries.

As for gun shops in the area, Bills or Frontiersman is probably your closest option.  Bills is vastly overpriced on everything, Frontiersman seemed very sketchy the one time I went there and have not been back since.  Didn't care much for Gun Stop either.  If you have time and transportation, Cabela's up in Rogers is a fun place to go, it's about 25 minutes northwest following 94 out of the cities.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 3:11:40 AM EDT
[#18]
According to their website and address, its minneapolis. Good prices and usually good sales. Only place I know about locally that has a full assortment of Federal HST ammo along with Federal and Winchester. 223/5.56 SD ammo. When it comes to selling firearms to just LEOS/SEO, their company, their rules. I'm thinking it's because they get LEO pricing on their firearms and will only sell to them. Springfield TRP rail is 1600 anywhere else, 1300 @ Streichers. For HK & Sig, they aren't a stockig dealer and you might as well go to Frontiersman because they have the better prices on them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice visit.    Had some fun.  Couldn't spend a whole lot, but, it looks like I'll be back in late July/early August for a week.  Outlook on the business meeting is positive.  Guess I'll know for sure in about a week.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
According to their website and address, its minneapolis. Good prices and usually good sales. Only place I know about locally that has a full assortment of Federal HST ammo along with Federal and Winchester. 223/5.56 SD ammo. When it comes to selling firearms to just LEOS/SEO, their company, their rules. I'm thinking it's because they get LEO pricing on their firearms and will only sell to them. Springfield TRP rail is 1600 anywhere else, 1300 @ Streichers. For HK & Sig, they aren't a stockig dealer and you might as well go to Frontiersman because they have the better prices on them.

Streichers is in Plymouth.  Nothing much more to say about that

Streichers does sell firearms to Non-LEOs, but not all brands.  I have purchased quite a few over the years, mostly LE trade ins which are actually better than getting a new gun!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Streichers is in Plymouth.  Nothing much more to say about that

I thought they were in Golden Valley. Somebody bust out the Hudson's and start splitting hairs!

ETA: DAMMIT! It is Plymouth. I hate it when I'm wrong.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Errr that one dude from along the way that had a grandpappy that new a guy told me it was in Minneapolis.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Errr that one dude from along the way that had a grandpappy that new a guy told me it was in Minneapolis.

I see that all the time in work stuff. There will be an address that says Minneapolis, but it's actually Bloomington, or Brooklyn Park. Had one just a few weeks ago that said St. Paul, but it was actually Little Canada, and a block or two that way would have been Maplewood, and a block or two that way would have been one of the Heights burbs... I think they do that to simplify the address for the benefit of people not from here, and they get away with it because the addresses continue the template way out into the burbs.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes they do.  Anything W of Mississippi is Mpls and anything E is St. Paul.

So now you know, and knowing is half the battle!
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I see that all the time in work stuff. There will be an address that says Minneapolis, but it's actually Bloomington, or Brooklyn Park. Had one just a few weeks ago that said St. Paul, but it was actually Little Canada, and a block or two that way would have been Maplewood, and a block or two that way would have been one of the Heights burbs... I think they do that to simplify the address for the benefit of people not from here, and they get away with it because the addresses continue the template way out into the burbs.

I'm probably 5 miles south of Little Canada, but I get shit that says I live in LC all the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top