Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2010 4:46:05 PM EDT
Just got home and brought the dog out to do her business...  Almost the second she hit the grass, they were on her BAD!!  The sun isn't even past the horizon and they're THICK!!!  REALLY THICK!!!  I've never seen them this bad before unless I was out in the woods.

They are all smaller than I've seen and really dark in color.  Must be a fresh hatch.  Anyone else having skeeter issues?
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I noticed a bunch last night too.  Little bastards.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got back from the beer store...  In the time it took me to go into the store, pay for my 12'er and get back to my truck...  2-3 minutes tops!!  My truck was covered with the lil' blood suckers!!  I had to swish them off the door so I could get in!!  
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#3]
they were real bad for awhile. then no so much the last few weeks but yep today was pretty bad with them here in s. mn
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#4]
They are bad out here. The new ones make me itch  like a mad man.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm immune to their bite and don't react. I hope ya'll have fun suffering, pansies.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Deet is your friend.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#7]
We shipped them to you from Michigan, we had a few trillion extra's, hope you like them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:24:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Same here.  pulle dover to change out a disc in my old school trunk changer, and i got bit at least twice.  then they swarmed me getting back in.  Real small, just like you said.

But...enough rain, hot weather and..bingo!  Hungry skeeters everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I noticed that too –– normally mosquito bites don't make me itch, but these were a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#10]
They are evil little bastards
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Just picked up a thermocell at Gander, and they were on sale. I picked up the earth flavor, thinking I'd use it for bow hunting too. Hope to be pass shooting sky carp this weekend, so I should have a review on how well it repels.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just picked up a thermocell at Gander, and they were on sale. I picked up the earth flavor, thinking I'd use it for bow hunting too. Hope to be pass shooting sky carp this weekend, so I should have a review on how well it repels.

I'm VERY curious to hear your review.  I almost pulled the trigger on one today....  But bills came first and left me busted.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Same here. Normally, i don't really notice the bites. This summer (this past month really) they have been out of control.

The sketters seem half-as-big as normal as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Thermacell I got at Fleet Farm. I tried it once when fishing along a shore. I didn't have a holder for it, so I had it halfway in my pocket. It worked pretty well. Wind is a real factor. If it's really windy(3-4 mph or more) it won't work that well. The directions say it allow a half hour to take full effect. The day I got it I brought it out at dusk, brought it to a spot where I knew there were skeeters and was eaten alive while waiting for it to warm up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a Thermacell I got at Fleet Farm. I tried it once when fishing along a shore. I didn't have a holder for it, so I had it halfway in my pocket. It worked pretty well. Wind is a real factor. If it's really windy(3-4 mph or more) it won't work that well. The directions say it allow a half hour to take full effect. The day I got it I brought it out at dusk, brought it to a spot where I knew there were skeeters and was eaten alive while waiting for it to warm up.

I took one up to the BWCA this summer.  Worked OK sitting around the fire, but as you mentioned, wind was a big factor.  Was awesome for putting in the tent vestibule before bed so we didn't have to worry about skeeters coming in with us, though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm immune to their bite and don't react. I hope ya'll have fun suffering, pansies.

Don't gloat....  I was too, untill this year.  It's them damn little ones.
I'd like to know what's up with that....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don't gloat....  I was too, untill this year.  It's them damn little ones.
I'd like to know what's up with that....

Hopin' they're better down in Waterman, IL this weekend!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:26:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Well I'd have to give the thermocell a +1. It does work. If you understand the limitations, you won't be disappointed. Used it in the garage and it
worked great. I used it in the garden, and it helped, but I had to try to play the wind.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#19]
i picked up a thermacellalso today 16.99 at fleet farm and the holsters are 9.47 snf have s 5 dollar rebate..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top