Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2010 8:05:33 AM EDT
I just got a text from my buddy: "if you havent cashed your state refund yet, you won't be able too until july 1st because they are out of money."

I am looking for confirmation now.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Friend hasn't heard this mentioned again. His co-worker was listening to Air America and they said it during one of the news breaks. I'll keep looking but I haven't seen it on any website.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Get direct deposit if you can...

We do direct deposit, I think ours already came in though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I did my taxes last month, Got my direct deposit within 6 days.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#5]
someone should tell the state they cant cash their tax payment until July 1st...  
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
someone should tell the state they cant cash their tax payment until July 1st...  

Yep.  Might make 'em do things differently.

Then again, maybe not.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Friend hasn't heard this mentioned again. His co-worker was listening to Air America and they said it during one of the news breaks. I'll keep looking but I haven't seen it on any website.

If it's "Air America" radio they went off the air in January. I wouldn't trust anything coming from that org, including the junior senator who used to work there.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine got direct deposited today.  E-filed last week.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I have to pay $88 into the state, you'll get some of mine when I send it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it's "Air America" radio they went off the air in January. I wouldn't trust anything coming from that org, including the junior senator who used to work there.

its on fox news right now, its more than just MN

ETA: if states are so poor, why not just cancel all welfare checks to pay off people who earned it first?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ETA: if states are so poor, why not just cancel all welfare checks to pay off people who earned it first?

I haven't seen any articles that mention Minnesota. I have seen NY, NC, AZ, AL, and IL mentioned.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Is it time to pop off the covers for our Magpuls yet?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Got mine last week. The girl received hers today.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#14]
E-filed and had it three days later.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#15]
E-filed and had it three days later.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I am a firm believer in having tax day moved to the first Monday in November each year.  That way, folks have it fresh in their mind what they pay in taxes when they head to the voting booth.

We did our electronically for the 10th year in a row and got back from both Fed and State.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is it time to pop off the covers for our Magpuls yet?

If you have to ask, isn't it already too late?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We did our electronically for the 10th year in a row and got back from both Fed and State.

I refuse to pay $19.95 to file electronically.  It costs me 17 sheets of paper and $1.60 in stamps to mail it in.  It costs the state less money to process electronically, yet they charge to do it?

No thanks, they can pay to maintain their paper scanners until they figure it out for themselves.

Besides, if you're getting a refund, you're doing it wrong.....

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I refuse to pay $19.95 to file electronically.  It costs me 17 sheets of paper and $1.60 in stamps to mail it in.  It costs the state less money to process electronically, yet they charge to do it?

No thanks, they can pay to maintain their paper scanners until they figure it out for themselves.

I always thought the $20 went to H&R block or whoever your software filed thru.
If you get a big refund you are doing it wrong. I always try to break even, but I would rather get $50 back than have to pay in, especially considering the state has a penalty for not paying enough in throughout the year.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't believe the state is charging for it....the people that make the software you are using to file and transmit it are charging for it.

Personally, the accuracy of the numbers sent to the IRS are pretty damn close to 100% when you e-file.  The accuracy is a LOT lower when some .gov worker has to punch in the numbers manually.  I don't want someone else's key punch error after I proofed my return causing me to have to even think about a false audit.

Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:08:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always thought the $20 went to H&R block or whoever your software filed thru.
If you get a big refund you are doing it wrong. I always try to break even, but I would rather get $50 back than have to pay in, especially considering the state has a penalty for not paying enough in throughout the year.

Agreed.  I get about $700 back total between the wife and I, and we have our taxes and witholdings pretty well tuned.  It is only because of my 401K that I get anything back at all.  I keep telling people that if they get thousands back, they are giving uncle sam an interest free loan.  Even if you owe at the end of the year, you could be earning interest on that money (which will be taxed of course but you should still end up on top).
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't believe the state is charging for it....the people that make the software you are using to file and transmit it are charging for it.

Yes, but the Feds figured out that it was smarter to cover the cost.  It's cheaper than maintaining scanners.

MN on the other hand, instead of covering the electronic cost, developed this stupid scanning format to ease scanning instead of doing it electronically.

Personally, the accuracy of the numbers sent to the IRS are pretty damn close to 100% when you e-file.  The accuracy is a LOT lower when some .gov worker has to punch in the numbers manually.  I don't want someone else's key punch error after I proofed my return causing me to have to even think about a false audit.

LOL...I'm pretty sure that the IRS hasn't manually keyed in tax returns for many years.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
... Yes, but the Feds figured out that it was smarter...

Stop right there...

"Fed" and "smarter" should never be used the same sentence as you have posted.

You of all people should know better.

-1 for Back40
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I keep telling people that if they get thousands back, they are giving uncle sam an interest free loan.

+1 for Rocco123

But, the danger in having to pay in is that our lovable gubmint is not shy in handing out penalties for owing too much.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

LOL...I'm pretty sure that the IRS hasn't manually keyed in tax returns for many years.

Depends on your penmanship I guess.  I'm sure they are like the post office and need to key punch quite a few.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#26]
this is the first year in a LONG time i havent had to pay in $3-5K into taxes.

all those pieces of work equipment / tools / expenses and that new tractor saved my ass for once. gotta love write offs

i actually got a check in the mail from the state today. not big, but its better than paying in
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

THATS RACIST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top