Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2009 7:53:25 AM EDT
I am going to sell my ak in .223.  Are there any special requirements in MN for selling "assault rifles".  I seem to remember that without a CPL, there is a 5 day waiting period when pruchased from a dealer.  Anyone have any helpfull info?
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#1]
As odd as it sounds you as the seller have no special requirements. The sale must be made to a person living in the same state as you, cannot be a "known" felon. Thats pretty much it with the exception that the buyer must be of age for the weapon being purchased.

I take it a step further and many may disagree but this is wht I do when selling a firearm that I have purchased myself. I write up a doc. that says I________sold to______ a Colt model # ______ serial #__________to ___________________on March 22, 2009 The buyer, Mr.,_____________MN DL is____________

MY Sig

Buyers SIg

Date

My doc. is more than required but if that weapon was ever used in a crime I have a paper trail.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#3]
cash and a handshake.

for what its worth......

" ive never bought a gun from you, and i cant remember who i sold all those other guns to"
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Just be smart.  If you sell that to someone who uses it for wrongdoing, your name is the last one of record.  Personally, I don't sell FTF without the person having their CCW permit.  It shows that they have gone through the effort of getting the minimum level of training and education to carry and that they are highly unlikely to be a criminal.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's a handgun, I won't sell it to/through anyone except a licensed dealer, even if it's to someone I know, because who knows who that person might sell to, who then might sell it to, etc...  Loosing a $100 or whatever less a dealer will give you for it, is worth it.

For rifle FTF transactions, I always write down the name in my records, and an address and/or phone number, etc.  With all the databases available to LE these days, it doesn't take much specific information for them to find someone.   I just sold a rifle FTF to someone at the fun show yesterday.  Before I even left the fun show, I Googled his name from my iPhone, and got a picture of him from his face book account!

I can understand buyers not wanting to give up a copy of their driver's license these days, with all the identity theft, etc, going on.  Having a copy of someone's driver's license is almost as good as having a credit card in their name.

Link Posted: 3/22/2009 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Minnesota law requires the display of Government issued ID (Drivers License) and either a Permit to Purchase a Pistol, or a Permit to Carry a Pistol.

As the seller, you don't need to write things down unless you want to (for your own reasons), but you are obligated to view both the state ID and one of the two permits listed above. (Note: If I sell, I don't write things down, and won't buy from those who do, but I follow the 'display' requirements either way).

If no permit is presented, then you must notify the transferee's police chief (or County Sheriff is the absence of a municipal PD) prior to transfer and the law enforcement agency will issue a transferee permit.

However, don't take my word for it. You can look it up online...

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?year=2008&id=624.7132

See, Fast351's post...
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Jesus, not this shit again:

Subd. 12.Exclusions.

Except as otherwise provided in section 609.66, subdivision 1f, this section shall not apply to transfers of antique firearms as curiosities or for their historical significance or value, transfers to or between federally licensed firearms dealers, transfers by order of court, involuntary transfers, transfers at death or the following transfers:

(1) a transfer by a person other than a federally licensed firearms dealer;

Link Posted: 3/22/2009 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Jesus, not this shit again:

Subd. 12.Exclusions.

Except as otherwise provided in section 609.66, subdivision 1f, this section shall not apply to transfers of antique firearms as curiosities or for their historical significance or value, transfers to or between federally licensed firearms dealers, transfers by order of court, involuntary transfers, transfers at death or the following transfers:

(1) a transfer by a person other than a federally licensed firearms dealer;

Ah-ha, an out clause. I should have read futher...

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:30:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
cash and a handshake.

for what its worth......

" ive never bought a gun from you, and i cant remember who i sold all those other guns to"

+1

I don't go in for the fear mongering.  I ain't commiting any crimes, so I'm not worried about a trace.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#10]
they must be elligble to receive the firearm.

No sales to minors or non-US residents.

I ask that folks I sell to have a permit to purchase or such.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Of course, it's easier if you don't sell stuff........

I'm just sayin'.......
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#12]
All it takes is one FTF sale to some whacko who shoots up a school and we are ALL in trouble.  So, if you are going to sell a black rifle on a FTF, please, please, please take steps to make sure the person is not a criminal.  The law may not require it, but your extra caution could be just what it takes to preserve our RKBA on down the road.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Didn't someone post here a while back about a FTF that ended up in his gun being used in a crime?  Had to testify in court, ATF issues, etc?

I think I remember who it was, and I'm sure he reads here on a regular basis, so I won't out him since I guess he's decided not to comment, but I always wondered what the whole story was, as what he posted didn't seem to make a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Didn't someone post here a while back about a FTF that ended up in his gun being used in a crime?  Had to testify in court, ATF issues, etc?

I think I remember who it was, and I'm sure he reads here on a regular basis, so I won't out him since I guess he's decided not to comment, but I always wondered what the whole story was, as what he posted didn't seem to make a lot of sense.

sounds like a troll trying to make us look bad.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Always know the laws.   Always follow the laws.  Realize that if there ever is an issue........like a weapon you sold was used in a crime..........you are innocent until proven guilty.  But, I would recomend remembering these two things:

1.  realize that no one cares about your innocence except you and your family.  Taking a few extra steps to be able to better explain or document your innocence should an issue arise is a good idea.....and helps keep weapons out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them.

2. many of our firearm transfer laws hinge on ideas of intent and what you should have know and when you could have known it.  For example:  The difference between a straw purchase and selling something you realized you didn't like 1 day after you bought it is only your intent at the time of purchase.  One is a felony the other is buyer's remorse.  Only you KNOW your intent at the point of purchase.   But......if push comes to shove, a LEO, maybe a prosecutor and maybe then a jury will try and deduce your intent.  And, at that point, your past actions, attitude ect ect can and will be looked at to try and determine that intent.  I love the "boating accident" folks.  If an LEO is asking you those questions, hostility and obstructionism might not communicate what you want.  At that moment, most would wish for the ability to show documentation or testify that they always ask for a permit.............see #1.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top