Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2008 3:53:09 PM EDT
I'm in need of some help. I know that none of you on here know me from Adam but.... I feel that we have something in common and can instantly trust people on here.

I need a job. Long story short. I had a pretty cushy job up until August. My wife got pregnant in January (totally planned). I went to LA in January for a trade show and my boss told me that we would probably be going out of business at the end of the year. I immediately started looking (with his blessing). He sent me one or two job leads. This store that I ran experienced a really tough year as many others have as well. In August I took a position with a company. I thought it was a decent sales gig. I was fed clear full of bullshit. Ever seen the movie Boiler Room? I heard the phrase "great! you made a sale. you get to keep your job for another five days." Needless to say I was shit-canned two months later. Turn and burn mentality. Hire 100 people and if 1 makes it- Great. No job 4 week old baby.

My wife makes ok money but not enough to support us. Works 50 hours a week. We own a house. Two cars. Can't sell either.

My previous position was filled- otherwise I'd go back there. Despite closing at the end of January. I've done every thing I can possibly imagine. Craigslist (scams scam scam) All the job boards. Last week I spent 10 hours one day applying for over 100 jobs on Careerbuilder. No luck. I've applied at retail stores around my neighborhood-

Example. Fleet farm. Full Time loss prevention position. Applied. Resume. Coverletter the works. I can't even get hired at Fleet Farm. WTF.

I would like to believe that I'm smarter then the average bear and I do realize EVERYONE is hurting right now and it sucks everywhere BUT- what am I doing wrong????

Any ideas? Can anyone point me in a different direction?

Thanks a million for any ideas- Feel free to PM me with any questions or thoughts.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
In what field of work are you most experienced.

Any technical training or college degree/coursework?

What kind of job do you seek, ideally?

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm most experienced in - Sales Management, Retail Management- In the last 10 years I've held Sales Manager positions or higher within a couple of different retail businesses. I was an Operations Manager for Gander at one point- ATF Compliance was my job.... Most recently I was a General manager of a retail store.

I have some college. Was going in the Criminal Justice direction. Didn't finish. I have an under developed optic nerve in my left eye. Birth defect. Couldn't pass academy standards uncorrected- Figure out new plan.......

Right now I'd do anything. Delivery driving. Manual Labor. Assemble part A to part B. Grunt work. Anything.....
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]
How far from home are you willing to drive?

What city do you live in?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a LinkedIn account.  That might help.  Send me a copy of your resume and I will see if I know of anything that might work for you.

IM incoming.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in Coon Rapids. Driving isn't an issue.... My wife drives a 36+ MPG Yaris I can trade her my CX-7 for....... :)

Thanks to all these responses.... I so appreciate it....
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#6]
coon rapids eh?

what kind of shape are you in? ever work around heavy / dangerous equipment.....?

also... my g/f posted a resume on monster.com and landed a job within 2 weeks they are paying for her training / schooling right now. looks like it will be a good gig in the insurance field.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
coon rapids eh?

what kind of shape are you in? ever work around heavy / dangerous equipment.....?

also... my g/f posted a resume on monster.com and landed a job within 2 weeks they are paying for her training / schooling right now. looks like it will be a good gig in the insurance field.

If you know someone that is need of a hard worker IM me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
If your willing to drive you could apply at DPMS in Saint Cloud.

1-800-578-DPMS
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Coca Cola always seems to be hiring.  Even if it's just until you can find something better...goodle "CCE One Source" and search their site.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:11:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I saw not to long ago Cabelas in Rogers had some opening.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:24:02 AM EDT
[#11]
UPS usually puts on a ton of seasonal employees through the holidays.  Not a long-term solution, but you might be able to get in quick.

Good luck
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:32:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you know someone that is need of a hard worker IM me.

what happened to your position with the Brownshirts ?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:52:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I just sent my resume up to Dustin, the Sales Manager at DPMS. A bit of a long shot- but that would be cool. I own an AP4 and I'm lusting over an LRT-SASS........

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I wish I needed more people, however, come January I expect I will be needing less people than I already have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top