Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2008 3:55:15 PM EDT
hey everyone, i need to try a different K98 stock out on my rifle, to see where the bedding problem is. if anyone has a spare i could borrow or buy id make it worth your $$$ time

ETA if i can find ASAP  / sunday morning that would be sweet so i can hit the range sunday

call me if you have my #
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:12:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
You should be able to diagnose the issue using shims instead of an entirely different stock.

Shim both the action screw bedding areas to raise the gun out of the stock, like you were "free floating" the barrel, and then put the handguard and bands back on. You want contact (ideally) at the front and rear action screws, the recoil lug (rearward contact), and at the front barrel band (upward pressure -- shim under the bbl if needed). Try that.

But also remember that every rifle is different and you'll need to experiment to get it just right. You could get lucky with a new/different stock and have it exactly right, but for optimal accuracy you'll need to shim and experiment anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top