[#1]
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 4:39:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Congrats!

I sense lots of M2 Ball in your Future

If you need a good deal on En-bloc clips let me know via IM

I got a good source

ill probably need some clips, i got... 6 or so with it. i will probably order some ammo from the cmp but would like to try to find some local to maybe use this weekend. i wonder if theres any new production ammo on the shelf thats safe?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 5:29:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 5:34:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does it feel good knowing you can now say "Clips" all you want and not get any crap from us for your EnBloc Clips???  

lol
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Sniff... I miss her already.

But..... now I've got a new toy too!!

I think that big swamp buck I've been watching is in trouble this year....

Is it illegal to lay down suppressive fire in order to harvest a whitetail?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
When it doubt shoot it out!!  LOL JK!

Quoted:
Sniff... I miss her already.

But..... now I've got a new toy too!!

I think that big swamp buck I've been watching is in trouble this year....

Is it illegal to lay down suppressive fire in order to harvest a whitetail?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Yo Dawg!

Nice Guns!

So what will M2 ball do to a porcupine?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]
we'll find out in 2 weekends
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I actually saw a guy on a bike like this on the way home today!!  Gotta love Brooklyn Dark!
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Congrats!

I got a good source

ill probably need some clips, i got... 6 or so with it. i will probably order some ammo from the cmp but would like to try to find some local to maybe use this weekend. i wonder if theres any new production ammo on the shelf thats safe?

Don't use commercial ammo off the shelf. M2 ball or equivalent hand loads only, that is if you like that op-rod. If you want a box or 2 for the weekend and you're in a pinch, send me an IM. I know where you can get some.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:17:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Congrats!

I got a good source

Don't use commercial ammo off the shelf. M2 ball or equivalent hand loads only, that is if you like that op-rod. If you want a box or 2 for the weekend and you're in a pinch, send me an IM. I know where you can get some.

being a garand newbie... i dont know all the right answers- but i know people deer hunt with them. what loads do they buy ? pretty sure you would use something other than M2 for deer hunting  id probably stick to ammo ~150gr soft point
ive got a ton of work to do today, if i have time ill sneak over to the fun store for some milsurp / greek
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:37:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Congrats!

I got a good source

being a garand newbie... i dont know all the right answers- but i know people deer hunt with them. what loads do they buy ? pretty sure you would use something other than M2 for deer hunting  id probably stick to ammo ~150gr soft point
ive got a ton of work to do today, if i have time ill sneak over to the fun store for some milsurp / greek

I found this article from Guns & Ammo magizine to be helpful if you want to reload. I'm going to try IMR 4895 and a 150gr Nosler ballistic tip on bambi this year. The problem is that the M1 has such a long oprod with a couple important bends in it. If you have too much pressure at the gas port you can bend it out of wack. You may get away with off the shelf ammo if you stay away from anything marked "light magnum" and don't shoot any more than you have to. Fulton armory recommends some of the black hills ammo as being safe FWIW.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:47:18 AM EDT
[#14]
any beefy aftermarket oprods for the M1 ?

looks like ill stick to milsurp...  unless i do decide to lug this one around a little bit during deer season.

my primary killing tool

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Geez! Just use off the shelf ammo! Stay away from the Hornady Light Magnum stuff.
You really endanger the op rod with loads heavier then 180gr or reloads heavier then that!  M1 match ammo was loaded with a 173gr Match FMJ bullet for the Garand and worked just fine!  If reloading, you do not want to use powders faster then say IMR4064 or bullets heavier then 180gr.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I've also been wondering the same thing myself.  Two years and a couple of thousands rounds later....I think I found the answer......

I've shoot mainly mil-surp, so the oprod factor is moot.  

I've also deer hunt with the M1.

+1 on just using enough off the shelf ammo to sight in your gun and get the job done.  I think I've only put roughly 100 rounds of commercial ammo through my M1, and no problems yet.  But its not 100 rounds at the same time.  About 1 "clip" to sight in; 1 "clip" just because.....and about 1 or 2 shot during the actual hunt.  If I'm bored, I might finish off that clip too.....so give or take, about 24 rounds of commercial ammo per hunting season.

p.s. I've been using the Federal Powershok 150gr softpoint as hunting loads in my M1.  Cheap and accurate.  So far, no complaints......just dead deer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:54:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I've fired several hundred rounds of 150 grain soft point handloaded ammo thru my Springfield M1 Garand. Never a problem and several dead deer and a few coyotes can attest to that.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Man there is a wealth of knowledge here.  I no almost nothing on grands or the balistics.  I'm really enjoying reading all the info.  Great links XD THANKS!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top