Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2007 7:23:21 AM EDT
I know I've been MIA but I thought I'd post pics from our most recent trip to Bill's.  I'm not sure if we ever posted pictures of the AR after we finished building it either, so here they are.  Hope the pics aren't too boring but it's always fun to see kids shooting in my opinion!  (Also pictured:  Kimber & Walther.)

Wolverine:

GWG (I'm still working on getting comfy with the AR -- I'm a pistol girl):

Chloe (our daughter):

Noah (our son):

Wolverine and Noah:
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for posting those!

It was a blast at Bill's that day, always fun to get the kids out shooting.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice pics. Shorten that stock, GWG
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, GoBlue... that's exactly why I look so uncomfortable in the picture.  Jeff showed me how to shorten it after the picture.

Nice to see you, btw!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Careful not to let those kids cross their weak hand thumb over behind the slide.  A bleeding thumb can mean a bad shooting experience for a young kid!

I bet they had a good time, though!  Thanks for the pics.

Arabou
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#5]
We caught them doing that at the range, too; especially Chloe.  I can't even imagine how badly that would hurt!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I still out shoot your azz with a GLOCK everytime.  Hell I out shoot you with your own pistol too

Quoted:
Sweeeeeeet!

Take note guys:  Even GirlWithGlock carries a 1911...  

Glocks are nice, fun, reliable guns and all that jazz, but there's still something about the 1911...  A fun, reliable, and accurate piece of BEAUTY!  

Glad to see you managed to bring the kids out for a fun day at the range too!!!  
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Truth is, I had the Glock before the 1911 and Kimber has stolen my heart.

I do love the Glock, too, though.  I scored 100% on my CCW test with my G23.

ETA:  There were three different guys that looked familiar at Bill's that day.  Were any of you one of them?  They were eyeing us like they thought we looked familiar, too, but nobody ever said anything.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#10]
M.......you are sell out!  Getting out shot with your own gun let alone by your brother!  That is bad!  You need to get a real gun!  You need a S&W 625!  Then again if you want a semi 45ACP you need a USP! I laugh when I consider that a person with a G17 had a box of ammo with a loaded gun and two spare mags!  
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Pure ego aside, your qual. score with my glock outshot my qual. score with my bersa 380 when I was a ...

Sounds like a challange to me!!!  Gonna have to school you with your own 1911 again just to prove my point.  This time we'll do it in front of the guy!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Careful not to let those kids cross their weak hand thumb over behind the slide.  A bleeding thumb can mean a bad shooting experience for a young kid!

I bet they had a good time, though!  Thanks for the pics.

Arabou

+1

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Man, if it weren't for the MOD and his brother, you might actually think this thread is about a family trip to the shooting range and not the same 1911 vs Glock argument like every other post on ARFCOM is about...
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Man, if it weren't for the MOD and his brother, you might actually think this thread is about a family trip to the shooting range and not the same 1911 vs Glock argument like every other post on ARFCOM is about...

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#15]
It is nice to see a quality handgun on a ladies hip.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It is sad how this happens with such frequency.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#17]
>>>Enough with the Thread Hijacks<<< Edited.......dpmmn
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is sad how this happens with such frequency.

+1
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#19]
.How is teasing a hijack?  Gotta belong to the in crowd or what?  Seems like its ok for everyone else  Guess I'm just a  Sorry Guys!  Didn't mean to start trouble I appologize
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#20]
SWEET!!

Quoted:

Quoted:

i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/Crazyduck2001/KimberGlock1.jpg

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
.How is teasing a hijack?  Gotta belong to the in crowd or what?  Seems like its ok for everyone else[://  Guess I'm just a  Sorry!

It is juvenile and stupid.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Glocks are nice, fun, reliable guns and all that jazz, but there's still something about the 1911...  A fun, reliable, and accurate piece of BEAUTY!  

Actually, the best pistol shooting I've ever done was with a 1911.

I sure wish my parents would have taken me shooting when I was a kid.  Unfortunately, things were such at the time that made it prohibitive.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#23]
No hard feelings on my part.  I'm actually used to the "the GirlWithGlock carries a 1911" comments and it almost ALWAYS... who am I kidding?  It ALWAYS turns into a 1911 vs. Glock debate.  And actually, I'm really used to getting hi-jacked on gun boards. LOL

So uh, back on topic?  I absolutely LOVE watching my kids shoot.  I could watch them all day and spend thousands of dollars on ammo to let them shoot as long as they want.  My dad has been taking me shooting since I could hold a gun -- my kids are lucky he taught me so well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Your kids are lucky to have cool parents that let them shoot.  I love my parents dearly, but being an import from Europe, we grew up without firearms.  

My "adopted parents" got me into hunting early and progressed from there.   I'm a huge firearms enthusiast now, but it would have been sooo much easier getting an early start :)

I can only imagine watching your kids do something you love....

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#25]
+1 on the crossing thumbs, I still remember doing it with my dad's Ruger Mk I .22 when I was a kid of about 6 or 7 and we were out shooting. Hurt like hell

Good to see them getting started on the right track tho

1911 vs Glock? Who cares? Does it work for you and go bang? All that matters Myself, HK USPf 45 for auto, but I truly prefer my S&W Mod22-4 .45 and S&W 325PD .45
All comes down to what works for you.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah I hear you there.  Our parents only had one .22 LR.  We were never taught to hunt, or new now one that could teach us.  Now that we're older it's been fun picking up and learning everything we can.  It has made me enjoy more of the outdoors besides just fishing.  I think it's great that parents are passing this great hobby along to their kids.  Most of my fondest memories are going shooting cans and targets with the .22 and my dad and lil bro.

Oh yeah I own page two!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Fast351... It's tough for parents to teach kids about something they don't know anything about, I guess.  I just wish more people took the initiative to learn about something they maybe aren't having set in their lap -- like the way you did.  Good job on breaking the no-gun-knowledge pattern in your family!  My opinion is that whether you're going to love guns or not, you should know about them.

Wintermute76... I've never had that happen (with the slide coming back and hitting the thumb), thankfully, so I didn't really even know to watch for them to not do that.  A gun range employee actually pointed it out to us and we were thankful that the kids didn't have to learn that lesson the hard way.

I actually love the 1911 and the Glock.  I'd trust either of them if it came down to protecting myself or my family.  I choose to carry the 1911 because I think Jeff has a greater love for the Glock and likes to carry that.

Life1978... I have awesome memories of shooting with my mom, dad, and brother as well.  It's good to have cool family memories like that.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#28]
+1 on the crossed thumb. The first time I shot a semi auto pistol, I was bit HARD almost a 1/4" deep. Nothing like gun oil in a fresh, deep cut. It's great to see you brought your kids shooting. I went shooting with one of my friends today at Willow River Rod and Gun Club(he's a member), there was a family shooting trap with two kids about your kids age GWG. The father came over to where we were shooting trap and needed to borrow my Leatherman to fix their thrower, I commented how it was nice to see kids out at the range. He said the kids really have fun going out shooting, espically his little girl.

Don
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:08:13 AM EDT
[#29]
We'll definately have to keep a closer eye on their thumbs, I'd hate to see either of them get bit and then be intimidated.

Likewise, my family was not in to firearms AT ALL.  I didn't by my first gun until I was about 21.  I got sick of all my friends taking off for a week during deer season, and having nothing to do.  So I bought and shotgun and started deer hunting.  The shotgun multiplied and a few years later I picked up my .270 deer rifle.  Then I move to Minnesota and we not too far down the road we pick up a G23, a Kimber, an AR-15, and a P-22.  Good lord, they're multiplying faster and faster now!  Not to mention, during the range session pictured here we rented a S&W airweight revolver and I loved it!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:15:20 AM EDT
[#30]
DonMn... I remember going trap shooting all the time with my dad.  Funny story -- we were at a graduation party (I was just finishing up my junior year in high school) and we were all getting ready to shoot clay pigeons.  There was a line of guys behind me waiting for their turn.  My dad threw probably 25-30 targets for me and I hit every single one.  I turned around to pass the gun to the next person and everybody had gotten out of line because they didn't want to shoot after me.  *cracks up*

Anyway, it's amazing how fast kids get good at shooting.  My dad took me every time I wanted to go and the practice makes all the difference.  I wish we had more time to go but with two kids in hockey (my daughter made the top team so the practices have pretty much doubled this year), not to mention all of their other activities, we don't get to the range NEAR as much as we'd love to.

I think it's cool that you confronted that family about taking the kids shooting.  I can tell you from experience that it's a nice compliment to parents when people notice that you're spending quality time with your kids.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:40:37 AM EDT
[#31]
True story happened this saturday at the range..
Couple shows up to shoot, they run about half a box thru the S&W .357 when Mr. asks Mrs (not sure if husband and wife or boyfriend and girlfriend, they weren't there that long)  if she wants to try his .45.  She says sure, he loads it up and hands her the gun, before anyone could say anything she pulls up and fires with the "thumb + over hold" as she used when shooting the revolver.

I will give her credit, she immediately put the safety on, set the gun on the shooting table (muzzle down range) and then looked for something to stop the bleeding.  At the Range Office they got the bleeding stopped and it was off to the hospital for stitches.  She layed it open real good.  Nothing permanent but it is going to be painful for a week or so.

I have hunch due to the way it opened her up that she was over her hand quite a bit as it cut the top of the web between the thumb and pointer.  She was a good sport about it though, as she was leaving to head to the emergency room she looked at her significant other, smiled and made the comment "I think I will be sticking with the revolver from now on, ti seems to like me better"....

DonT

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Yikes!  That really sucks.  I would imagine that's about all it would take with a kid to make them leary of the firearm that did that to them.  I'm more thankful by the minute here that the range employee caught that before something bad happened.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Can't go wrong with hockey.  My dad coached so naturally I was on skates as soon as I was walking.  Sometimes I hated going to practice but looking back I had the time of my life on the ice.  

Thank god I've never got the thumb hit by the slide.  Came close once during a Defensive Edge class but Sully and the guys take too god care of us so they noted the habit first and made sure it was fixed before I had a problem.  Gotta love this place.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok, to pile on this thread.... but at least it is on topic

I am glad to see kids getting involved in this sport at an early age, I wish my parents were interested and interested me when I was young.

The folks were in town this week. My mother, who has been at the house before, started to express concern that I have so many guns around with my 9 mo. old starting to grab at everything. "You are going to keep your guns locked up and out of the reach of GoBlue Jr., right. And you should lock up your ammo separately. Maybe you should get rid of your guns"... And "you aren't planning on taking him shooting and teaching him how to use a gun, are you?"

My responses were. Actually I plan to hid them under his crib- under the theory of hidden in plain sight is the best strategy. As for the ammo, I told them I have far too much to lock up (actually it can be locked up in the storage room easily enough). I told them that I will teach him gun safety as early an age as possible and hope he becomes my shooting buddy. I already bought him an AR lower. And for good measure, he'll be joining the NRA soon. That pretty much ended the conversation right there.

My parents are from CA, which explains their thinking somewhat.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Good answers, GoBlue!  LOL!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top