Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2007 3:30:58 PM EDT
if anyone was listening to 94.5 this morning about 8AM, they were talking about "the .GOV doing a test to shut off peoples cell phones, IF they are traveling at 50MPH or more the phone disconnects at 29 seconds"

i didnt catch the whole story. i dont know all the details. people would call in and after a while their phones would disconnect.

was the radio station pulling a prank and hanging up on the people? was there really a test?

i could see how a phone could be used against us as a GPS system... but...

how do they know that the person on the phone, isnt a PASSENGER and not a driver? what if its an emergency call?

did anyone else hear this? i havent heard anything else about it. i spend no time at the TV anymore. so my news is either here or on the radio.

ETA just found out it WAS a joke. before i turned on the radio they informed people about the prank. they were hanging up on the people as i figured.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#1]
94.5 is ghey. I don't mind the music, but where the hell do they find their male radio personalities? I don't quite know how to describe them, but they're all like this bizarre estrogen-filled spineless version of guys. Like the guys who sit around with the the girls and badmouth guys for being insensitive jerks or something. It just bugs the hell out of me. I was listening one morning and the lady and all the female callers were talking about sex being like a household chore, and whoever the guy was completely threw his fellow males under the bus. It's like The View or Oprah or something. I just can't handle it. Morning shows are KQ or 93X (98.5 if the kids are in the truck)
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
94.5 is ghey. I don't mind the music, but where the hell do they find their male radio personalities? I don't quite know how to describe them, but they're all like this bizarre estrogen-filled spineless version of guys. Like the guys who sit around with the the girls and badmouth guys for being insensitive jerks or something. It just bugs the hell out of me. I was listening one morning and the lady and all the female callers were talking about sex being like a household chore, and whoever the guy was completely threw his fellow males under the bus. It's like The View or Oprah or something. I just can't handle it. Morning shows are KQ or 93X (98.5 if the kids are in the truck)

agreed.  but 93X is a sports talk show 80% of the time and it annoys the hell out of me. KQ is funny as hell, but does anyone ever notice how Tom contradicts himself all the time? one week he says a movie or a TV show is the biggest piece of crap, the next week its the greatest show ever!
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
agreed.  but 93X is a sports talk show 80% of the time and it annoys the hell out of me. KQ is funny as hell, but does anyone ever notice how Tom contradicts himself all the time? one week he says a movie or a TV show is the biggest piece of crap, the next week its the greatest show ever!

I've long complained about Tom Barnard for a variety of different issues.  When he really likes something, he gushed about it unabated...like a woman.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to listen to the ks95 morning show about 10 years ago when Van Patrick was on.  He did some hilarious candid birthday calls and other pranks.  Now it's between 93x and kq for me.   The kq morning show was banned from my workplace last week.  I guess a couple of people were offended.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I used to listen to the ks95 morning show about 10 years ago when Van Patrick was on.  He did some hilarious candid birthday calls and other pranks.  Now it's between 93x and kq for me.   The kq morning show was banned from my workplace last week.  I guess a couple of people were offended.

Are you kidding me.

Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you kidding me.

I wish I was.  One guy was almost fired after complaining about it being banned.  It upsets me, but doesnt affect me much.  I'm always in different areas of the building and most of them dont have radios due to the high noise levels.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#7]
speaking of cell phones, i just opened my $502.03 bill tonight. they recieved my payment of $424 on 9-23-07. right around the same time, they shut my phone off and i had to call and pay $200 to get it turned back on.

HOW THE FUCK DO I USE 3.13 HOURS OF PHONE SERVICE PER DAY NOT DURING MY ANYTIME MINUTES, WHEN I RUN A FUCKING CHAIN SAW, WOOD CHIPPER, OR STUMP GRINDER 8-14 HOURS PER DAY?

FUCK NEXTEL.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:51:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
speaking of cell phones, i just opened my $502.03 bill tonight. they recieved my payment of $424 on 9-23-07. right around the same time, they shut my phone off and i had to call and pay $200 to get it turned back on.

HOW THE FUCK DO I USE 3.13 HOURS OF PHONE SERVICE PER DAY NOT DURING MY ANYTIME MINUTES, WHEN I RUN A FUCKING CHAIN SAW, WOOD CHIPPER, OR STUMP GRINDER 8-14 HOURS PER DAY?

FUCK NEXTEL.

Maybe a button's getting pinched when you bend a certain way cutting with your saw or something...
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 7:12:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Nextel sucks and is extremely expensive.  We left Nextel and have been with Verizon for more than two years now and have had zero complaints.

I only caught part of the cell phone/50mph story, too, so I'm not sure what the outcome was.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I have Verizon, and it works good everywhere EXCEPT at home.  And it sucks here.  

Best coverage was Qwest, unfortunately their customer service blows ass.

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have Verizon, and it works good everywhere EXCEPT at home.  And it sucks here.  

Best coverage was Qwest, unfortunately their customer service blows ass.

i think my g/f has verizon and it works 240 miles north of here on my hunting land where my nextel doesnt, but hers doesnt work in my house where my nextel works perfect. i couldnt handle not having a phone work inside my house, thats why i bought this "new" hybrid phone from nextel. which just reminds me, they never sent me my $200 something dollar rebate from this phone WTF
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#13]
1. Morning radio sucks. I can tolerate some 92.5 for a bit unless the are acting the fool, doing football picks, etc. God bless XM, except they keep slipping in more and more commercials.

2. NEXTEL sucks. Dropped in the day my contract expired. Got a two phone plane with 300 anytime for $150 per month. $10 more gets you unlimited text, but I have yet to figure out why I would text with all them little nuttons insted of just calling...
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
...Got a two phone plane with 300 anytime for $150 per month...

What made you actually STAY with Nextel at those prices after your contract expired?  We have three phones with 700 shared anytime minutes and my bill is just over $100.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#15]
so i called nextel to bitch again. last weeks bitchfest didnt do any good. i spent 40 minutes trying to understand the person i was talking to. i speak pretty good english, thats what i prefer to listen to when im talking to someone. not this guy apparrently. at about the 40 minute mark, my phone dropped the call. yep, lost service, while talking to my phone service provider.

ironic.

so after a 10 minute cool down period i called again, and went over the same issues from the last two times i called. 30 minutes later, she changed my plan. free text messages til april or so, free nights and weekends starting AT 6PM !! instead of 9pm, 1500 extra minutes a month, and she dropped $120 off of last months bill.  oh yeah. and free calls to other sprint  / nextel customers. i think its going to cost me $10.00 per month more than my standard bill should have been before. which should save me from going over on minutes.

i probably DID go over last months bill, but theres no way i went over as much as they said i did. how do i work 14 hours in the field, and spend 3.13 hours per day on a cell phone? something just doesnt seem right. oh yeah, she also backdated all of this, so it looks like the new plan started many days ago to ensure this month doesnt go over on minutes.

in the end, my bill was still high, but i feel alot better about it. with the new plan, i doubt i can ever go over 2400 minutes in 20 days with free calls to sprint / nextel customers and free nights after six.

i told her in the beginning that i would LOVE to pay the $200 penalty to cancel my contract.  she did a pretty good job keeping me there.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top