Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2007 10:45:04 AM EDT
Hi guys,

I got tickets to the Packers vs. Viqueens game on sunday. I havn't been to the dome in probably 10 years, so I am wondering if they have metal detectors or the like. I'm planning on pocket carrying my S&W 642. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#1]
It's been a while but I think they have the hand held metal detectors, and you are patted down before entering.  But, like I said it's been a while, so I could be wrong!

Brad
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Another MN Hometown member and I have had this discussion, off-line, before.  And we came to the same conclusion.  In our opinion, it's a bad idea.  I think the dome is posted, although inconsistantly (not every enterance, and not necessarily to regulation per posting).  

However, my/our problem is the situation.  They do a pat down search (although pretty half-assed, if even) when you enter, and they do random metal detector wanding.  So assuming you don't get caught, and get in, it's not the best situation still.  There are too many people around to actually be able to safely use a firearm if needed.  I always carry a pocket knife, a Surefire light, and Fox Labs when I go to the dome.  And I usually go with my son to the late night "Monster Jams!"

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Went to a game last year, they had hand wands and some pat-downs.  They didn't do either to me, which was just fine.  I had my leatherman on me, a friend said they wouldn't have let me in with it had they known.  I was just wearing jeans and an untucked t-shirt.  Look non-threathening, maybe carry in an ankle holster on the way in, and you'll be fine.

Who owns the dome? I thought it was the city/state/county/quasi-governmental property.  Can they even legally ban CCW there?

I guess I wouldn't worry so much about things happening AT the dome, but who knows about to and from there.  That's a point the gun banners miss a lot.  Sure, I probably won't need my gun when dropping my kid off at school, but where am I coming from, or going to, I might need it?  The answer, of course, is to always carry if you can.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm heading there tomorrow with the son-inlaw.

I decided it's not worth it, and like MyWar said, it's very crowded "everywhere".

GM
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Well the game was incredible, had 9th row seats and saw the record broke about 35 yards from me. Win for the Pack, sloppy but I'll take it.

For everyone's benefit, heres the lowdown on the security. They did a rough pat down, arms, hips, and upper torso, I didn't see a single person serched below the waist. Pocket holster would have been fine today- not saying always. The crowd was massive, humanity everywhere. The most people that I have seen in one place before today was about 26,000, 63k plus was a bit of a shock. Definately no possibility to use a firearm for protection safely in the dome or nearby. We parked across the river in the old mill/ industrial areas and walked in from there. It would have been nice to have a better insurance policy for the walk to and from the dome than a Gerber- especially if it was a night game.

Thanks for all the input guys, it was greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#6]
That area is not bad.  You worry too much.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
The Vikings stink (again) ... get tickets to the Wild games if you can.

No wands at the Xcel NRG center...
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You are right!  Next time go unarmed and carry your cash in a clear plastic bag around your neck!  I'm sure nothing will happen to you...
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well the game was incredible, had 9th row seats and saw the record broke about 35 yards from me. Win for the Pack, sloppy but I'll take it.

For everyone's benefit, heres the lowdown on the security. They did a rough pat down, arms, hips, and upper torso, I didn't see a single person serched below the waist. Pocket holster would have been fine today- not saying always. The crowd was massive, humanity everywhere. The most people that I have seen in one place before today was about 26,000, 63k plus was a bit of a shock. Definately no possibility to use a firearm for protection safely in the dome or nearby. We parked across the river in the old mill/ industrial areas and walked in from there. It would have been nice to have a better insurance policy for the walk to and from the dome than a Gerber- especially if it was a night game.

Thanks for all the input guys, it was greatly appreciated!

True, I was wearing pants with "cargo pockets" and could have had anything in them.

My guess is they run into "harassment" customer issues with below the waist searches
and just don't bother.

I did run into a little "gang banger" drama on the train on my way home
and wished I had my gun, but nothing too big.

GM

Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:19:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#11]
"If a man has a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail." -Mark Twayne

Ground truth-There will be times in life when, for one reason or another, (most of us) will not be armed with a pistol.

Not directed at anyone in particular, but if you can't walk from the dome to the parking lots (in the middle of a large crowd of fans) without going into CCW withdrawal, even if you are armed with spray/small knife, just give up on life and lock yourself in the bunker.  I've walked through downtown from the dome all the way to Kieran's and beyond, at night, unarmed, with my wife, and have not feared for my safety or hers.  Was I situationally aware?  Definitely.  Paranoid?  No.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are right!  Next time go unarmed and carry your cash in a clear plastic bag around your neck!  I'm sure nothing will happen to you...

Yup!  Not like some of us haven't lived near there.  

In reality though, it HAS been cleaned up pretty well in the area these past few years, but I'm still glad I don't live near there anymore.  

The next time you or your brother can tell me when and where a crime is about to happen regardless of neighborhood, please let us know.  That's moreso my point.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#14]
www.smartcarry.com

I've gotten past pretty good patdowns at Target Center with the smartcarry holster.  Won't beat a wand, but then again, maybe they'd dismiss it as a signal from the belt buckle.  I would be comforable testing any security other than an actual portal with X-ray setup (Where the consequences would be more severe than a $50 fine).
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:59:29 AM EDT
[#15]
you can beat porthole metal detectors in public places by keeping it low and slow.  they tend to keep the sensativity lower around the feet because they get sick of dealing with false trips because of steel toe boots.  i learned the "slow" part when i was doing contract work in a nuclear power plant......if i walked through i would trip the sensors with my steel toes.....if i kept my feet flat and shuffled/slid through slowly i would not.  í'm not condoning anything, just passing on some info.

advntrjnky
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top